🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Fans must give Derek Young a break

Young keen to sign a new contract at Pittodrie

midfielder was unaware of being booed by supporters

By Michael Gannon

Published: 29/11/2008

LOOKING FOR A RESULT TODAY: Aberdeen’s Derek Young. Kevin Emslie

More Pictures

Aberdeen midfielder Derek Young will not require much persuading should the Dons give him the opportunity to sign a new contract at Pittodrie.

Young is one of several players, including Scott Severin, Jamie Smith, Lee Mair and Jeffrey de Visscher, whose deals expire at the end of the season. Although talks have yet to start, he is keen to stay.

The 28-year-old is in his second spell with the Dons and not even the jeers from some supporters in the 2-0 victory against St Mirren a fortnight ago will put him off remaining in the north-east.

He said: “I have not spoken to anyone about my contract situation. I am sure if the club offers the out-of-contract players new deals there will not be any problems. There certainly will not be a problem with me.

“Two years ago I was at Partick Thistle and I was not enjoying my football so much.

“The difference at Pittodrie has been incredible and, although the team has not been playing as well this season, I am still loving it. Whatever new contract comes along, I'm pretty sure there will not be any hassle on my part.

“I did not realise I was getting booed until I saw it in the newspaper the following day. It was news to me but I shout and scream at the television when things are not going right so I am not going to criticise anyone.

“The supporters were frustrated because we were not steamrollering St Mirren but we were frustrated also.

“I have never had a problem with the supporters at Aberdeen, the only time I can remember getting any stick was when I came back with another club.

“I was in and out of the team for a while and I was frustrated because I was not playing as well as I would have liked. Now I am looking to getting myself back to my best form.â€

Young was impressive in last weekend’s 2-0 defeat at Rangers and, while the result was disappointing, he is looking for a similar performance against Motherwell at Pittodrie today.

He said: “It is frustrating for everyone to put so much into games and get nothing.

“It sounds good to say you kept Pedro Mendes and Barry Ferguson quiet for long spells but the end result meant all the hard work was for nothing. It does show though that it can be done and there are a lot of positives we can take from it.â€

Young keen to sign a new contract at Pittodrie

midfielder was unaware of being booed by supporters

By Michael Gannon

Published: 29/11/2008

“I did not realise I was getting booed until I saw it in the newspaper the following day. It was news to me but I shout and scream at the television when things are not going right so I am not going to criticise anyone.

I take it that would be the boys in blue you'd be getting frustrated at Deek?

Feel free to fuck off any time you like, but if you're playing today, stick one in the pokey for us, there's a good lad  :thumbsup: