Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Fans must give Derek Young a break

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/aberdeen/2008/11/13/fans-must-give-derek-young-a-break-blasts-aberdeen-boss-jimmy-calderwood-86908-20891378/

IMMY CALDERWOOD last night called on the Aberdeen boo-boys to lay off Derek Young.

The midfielder faces another battle to win over his critics after he was targeted throughout Tuesday's 2-0 SPL win over St Mirren at Pittodrie.

Unhappy Aberdeen supporters even cheered when Young was eventually subbed.

The episode is the latest setback for the player whose return to the Granite City in July last year, after his release from Partick Thistle, was met by protests from many of the Red Army.

But 28-year-old Young, signed as a squad player, turned the jeers to cheers with his committed displays that helped the Dons reach the last 32 in the UEFA Cup. Calderwood said: "It was very disappointing certain fans took their frustrations out on Derek.

"I felt sorry for him because he doesn't deserve it. He might have the odd bad game but never hides and always gives 100 per cent for the team.

"I'm quite sure some of the fans who barracked him have bad days at work. Everyone does now and then.

"I know what I'll get when he is in the team and he will never fail for lack of effort. I have never seen any player improve by being jeered by his own fans every time he touched the ball.

"To get to where we want to go we need all our supporters united behind the team. We get that in away games with magnificent fans who back the players all the way and they have responded by getting results. It's rather sad this isn't the case at Pittodrie."

"To get to where we want to go we need all our supporters united behind the team. We get that in away games with magnificent fans who back the players all the way and they have responded by getting results. It's rather sad this isn't the case at Pittodrie."

He's got a point there but on the whole Young was absolutely woeful on Tuesday, and apparently so on Saturday as well. Never heard him being booed though, just everyone cheering the fact he was finally being taken off.

He's got a point there but on the whole Young was absolutely woeful on Tuesday, and apparently so on Saturday as well. Never heard him being booed though, just everyone cheering the fact he was finally being taken off.

Some cunts behind me where booing him the whole game then booed Maguire when he came on.  ::)

Aye, he was apparently pretty poor on Tuesday and wasn't any better on Saturday.

However he has been much better than anticipated, in fact surprisingly good. Thing is, after a couple of shit games, would Aluko/Diamond/Smith get the same treatment? Would they fuck.

"I felt sorry for him because he doesn't deserve it. He might have the odd bad game but never hides and always gives 100 per cent for the team.

You can debate whether any player is deserving of that sort of stick, but Calderwood has to appreciate that fans aren't doing this just because they feel like it. They are doing it because it isn't just the "odd bad game".  Whether he never hides and always gives 100% or not, is entirely irrelevant because he is so lacking in ability. He isn't good enough for us but seems to be bullet proof as far as JC is concerned.

"I'm quite sure some of the fans who barracked him have bad days at work. Everyone does now and then.

Very true statement. But if I performed as poorly as he does so regularly, I'd be out of a job. It's as simple as that.

I know what I'll get when he is in the team and he will never fail for lack of effort

I know what we'll get when he is in the team too... frustration and anxiety. Anyone who talks of any pro footballer in the terms of "he will never fail for lack of effort" is effectively saying "he's shit at football."

He has had a few ok games, but he's still a poor signing, the fact he hasn't been quite as bad as we anticipated doesn't mean he's a good player or a good signing.

Aye, he was apparently pretty poor on Tuesday and wasn't any better on Saturday.

However he has been much better than anticipated, in fact surprisingly good. Thing is, after a couple of shit games, would Aluko/Diamond/Smith get the same treatment? Would they fuck.

What pissed me off the most was watching him fall over about half a dozen times and then the twat comes out with the same boots on in the second half and does the same thing all over again.

I agree he has been better than expected...but it shows you how bad he really was the first time around.

I think the cheering was more for Jimmy finally realising what everyone in the Stadium could easily see. I wouldnt say he had a mare, he is just simply not a central midfielder. Did his best, which isnt good enough. Its not as though he is a proven centre mid who had an off day, he cant play there. With him as our attacking centre mid we were never gonna do anything.

I think young has a role as a squad player, backup for one of the wings if need be. But Centre Midfield, wise up Jimmy. Shows how backward our squad is going.

Jimmytried him there on Sat, he was terrible, hooked him. So why put him in that position again.

Is Gary Macdonald really that bad?

I think the cheering was more for Jimmy finally realising what everyone in the Stadium could easily see. I wouldnt say he had a mare, he is just simply not a central midfielder. Did his best, which isnt good enough. Its not as though he is a proven centre mid who had an off day, he cant play there. With him as our attacking centre mid we were never gonna do anything.

I think young has a role as a squad player, backup for one of the wings if need be. But Centre Midfield, wise up Jimmy. Shows how backward our squad is going.

Jimmytried him there on Sat, he was terrible, hooked him. So why put him in that position again.

Is Gary Macdonald really that bad?

I would have to ask if Seve is that good at the back can we afford to lose him from the middle?

Really daft stuff. But, we won.

However he has been much better than anticipated, in fact surprisingly good. 

He has been better than feared, but still isnt that good.

Thing is, after a couple of shit games, would Aluko/Diamond/Smith get the same treatment? Would they fuck.

Thats becasue they have skill, you should compare him with the less skillful players in the squad such as Foster, Mair or Duff - who would also get booed.

You can debate whether any player is deserving of that sort of stick, but Calderwood has to appreciate that fans aren't doing this just because they feel like it. They are doing it because it isn't just the "odd bad game".  Whether he never hides and always gives 100% or not, is entirely irrelevant because he is so lacking in ability. He isn't good enough for us but seems to be bullet proof as far as JC is concerned.

Very true statement. But if I performed as poorly as he does so regularly, I'd be out of a job. It's as simple as that.

I know what we'll get when he is in the team too... frustration and anxiety. Anyone who talks of any pro footballer in the terms of "he will never fail for lack of effort" is effectively saying "he's shit at football."

He has had a few ok games, but he's still a poor signing, the fact he hasn't been quite as bad as we anticipated doesn't mean he's a good player or a good signing.

Thanks for that Bobby, saved me 10 minutes having to type exactly that.  :thumbsup:

The only thing I'd like to add is:

"But 28-year-old Young, signed as a squad player"

I thought/hoped he was signed to make up the numbers on the cheap.  So why is he straight in each week when he's been rank rotten?

I wonder if JC will play him on Saturday just so he's not seen to be bowing to the fans, and also to give Young a bit of a boost?

If he does start... then, good luck to him...

It wouldn't surprise me at all, because otherwise it will be viewed that the "boo boys" have won. Despite the fact they/we are correct. He doesn't deserve a bloody starting spot! Sub appearance and no more, I can't even mind the last good game he had!

He was like Bambi on ice on Tuesday night. Totally inept performance and should be nowhere near the game tomorrow.

The decision to take him off was certainly loudly cheered in the RDS.

The RDS is a funny place though, Langfield kicks the ball long but overhits Miller and goes through to St.Mirren keeper and loud boos ring out. Within a minute he has the ball again but takes more time and the RDS get restless shouting at him to get on with it, hits Miller who flicks it on and Mackie doesnt get to it, more boos. Funny as fuck, you just knew he wasnt going to get it right!!

He was like Bambi on ice on Tuesday night. Totally inept performance and should be nowhere near the game tomorrow.

The decision to take him off was certainly loudly cheered in the RDS.

The RDS is a funny place though, Langfield kicks the ball long but overhits Miller and goes through to St.Mirren keeper and loud boos ring out. Within a minute he has the ball again but takes more time and the RDS get restless shouting at him to get on with it, hits Miller who flicks it on and Mackie doesnt get to it, more boos. Funny as fuck, you just knew he wasnt going to get it right!!

I was under the impression that the boos Langfield got were down to him punting it up the field instead of throwing it to either the full back (who always seemed to be in acres of space)?

I was under the impression that the boos Langfield got were down to him punting it up the field instead of throwing it to either the full back (who always seemed to be in acres of space)?

Not from those aroud me as on more than one occasion he had st.mirren players around him and therefore throwing it to a full back would have been goal keeping suicide!!