Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Miller for Scotland

Miller can make Scots mark, says Calderwood

By Michael Gannon

Published: 12/11/2008

HIT MAN: Andrew Considine, left, celebrates with team-mate Chris Maguire after scoring. Kenny Elrick

More Pictures

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood has challenged Dons attacker Lee Miller to force his way into George Burley's Scotland squad.

The 25-year-old forward, who played a key role in last night's 2-0 victory against St Mirren, was omitted fro the Scotland squad to face Argentina at Hampden next week despite impressive performances in recent weeks.

Miller did not let the disappointment affect him at Pittodrie last night as Andrew Considine's 80th-minute opener and Sone Aluko's second three minutes from time gave Aberdeen a hard-fought victory in a wretched encounter.

Calderwood said: “George Burley has plenty of options so it is up to him. He watched Lee on Saturday so he knows what he can do.

“George told me Lee was in his thoughts a few months ago, so, while it is disappointing for Lee, he knows he is being considered.

“It is up to him to keep battling away and keep up his form.

“He was frustrated against St Mirren because the service was poor but I would have felt the same if I was him. Lee knows the interest is there and it is up to him to create some headlines for himself."

Calderwood was pleased with his side as Aberdeen claimed their second home victory of the season which did not seem likely as the match entered the latter stages.

The Dons toiled for long periods against an organised Buddies side but eventually found the breakthrough when Considine blasted home a Mark Kerr cutback before Aluko sealed the victory with three minutes remaining.

Until the opening goal a season-low Pittodrie attendance of 9,452 was becoming increasingly disgruntled with their side's display but Considine insisted the ends justified the means as the Dons climbed to fourth in the SPL ahead of tonight's fixtures.

Considine said: “It was always going to be a hard game but we dug in and got the result.

“I know the football was not that great and the supporters were not too happy but the three points were the main thing.

“It is massive to be up to fourth in the table. A few weeks ago we were bottom and down in the dumps but now if results go for us tonight we can be fourth going to Hibs on Saturday.

“To win ugly is just as important as thrashing teams. Too many times we have played better than teams and lost.

“We did not have the best of games but we were strong collectively and the defence was solid.

“The supporters have been disappointed with the results at home, they have been great, but we knew they were not enjoying it but you have to shut those things out.

“Mark Kerr did brilliantly down the line to cut it back, I just got my head down and hit it. It was a good goal but I was just happy to help the team out.

“I have made my fair share of mistakes, so it was equally good to get the clean sheet. I felt bad over the weekend. I have not been able to eat and it takes it out of you. I struggled a bit during the game but the goal helped."

We are missing Nicholson.

Big style, but the few games I have been to and seen Macdonald play in, I'm quite convinced that he will become the next "Nicholson" if you will. Time will tell though. I think we all knew how good a squad we potentially had last season, just a shame we couldn't keep it together for the whole season and beyond.