Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Miller for Scotland

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/907693

Dons ace ready for Scotland – Jimmy

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

Published: 03/11/2008

But Calderwood believes Burley would be better turning to Miller – who gained his only cap so far against Japan in 2006 – to bolster the Scotland attack when Diego Maradona’s men come to Hampden on November 19.

Calderwood said: “With Kris Boyd out of the equation for Scotland, Lee deserves to at least get a chance.

“There has been a lot of debate about Novo, but there is not a better front man than Lee in Scotland at the moment.

“I’ve already told Lee he should be annoyed that the likes of Steven Fletcher and Chris Iwelumo are now in Scotland squads ahead of him.

“I said he needed to take a good look at himself and sort it by playing so well for us that he has to be considered.

“Lee loves it at Aberdeen and has a good life with a lovely wife, child and a decent lifestyle.

“That is all very well but what will the big house and nice car mean if he looks back at the end of his career and sees no honours and none of the Scotland caps he is well capable of gaining?

“Lee took it all in and has been sensational for us.â€

“Sone Aluko scored a great goal against Kilmarnock but Lee was our man of the match by a mile.

“He is the best forward in Scottish football when it comes to heading a ball.

“Lee allies that with tremendous skill for such a big lad and is now showing tremendous appetite for the game again.

“Sir Alex Ferguson went on about the way Lee gave Nemanja Vidic a hard time in our friendly against Manchester United at the start of the season, and he is not a bad judge of a player.

“Gordon Strachan and Walter Smith have also made mention of how well he played against their teams.â€

Calderwood also praised his players for finally grabbing their first home SPL win of the season thanks to Aluko’s curling effort early in the second half.

He said: “That was the big one for us.

“We can play better, but the lads gave everything and deserved to get the victory in the end.â€

Guest swaddon

It's a bit early to be talking about a Scotland cap for him, but if he keeps up his good form and scores plenty of goals, then Burley will have no option but to call him up.

Which is just what Tenement Funster said five minutes ago.

“He is the best forward in Scottish football when it comes to heading a ball.

When he's in the mood, aye. And when he's not collapsing trying to win free kicks that he's never going to get. Played gets waved on far more often than not. Lee's a good player but there's more he could be doing.

Guest Caroline B

Far too early for this kind of talk. As some have already said, he needs to start banging in a few goals to push for the place. He needs to add goals to his game

I never thought I would praise Lee Miller with my previous opinion being he was a lazy, diving primadonna with little pace (or in Mizer's words "The pace of a metro towing a caravan up a hill"!)  however he has played really well the last two weeks, has put in more effort and has shown pace at times  :o

As others have said he needs to keep doing this week in week out, and then he would deserve a Scotland call up

It's working more often than not isn't it?

I have to add that my previous post ....

If it's supposed to be cleverly then he better practice making it more convincing sometimes!  :thumbsup:

.... was said tongue in cheek, as I hate simulation/diving/going down easily/cleverly/whatever you want to call it by our players as well as other teams. Miller does it too frequently.

I have to add that my previous post ....

.... was said tongue in cheek, as I hate simulation/diving/going down easily/cleverly/whatever you want to call it by our players as well as other teams. Miller does it too frequently.

I'd hate it if he was goung down under no contact at all, but he's just making the most of the contact, because to be fair with the lack of service he gets this sometimes appears to be one of our biggest outlets.

I have always been a believer that there is a difference between playing for a foul and just out and out diving.

Most of the time Miller plays for the foul. I haven't seen too many dives like Stewart's the other week from Miller.

Yip, exactly. Agree with this.

EDIT: Actually i've never seen Miller 'out and out' dive. Not doubting it's happened, just I haven't seen it. closest being the St Mirren game?

Aberdeen striker Lee Miller’s progress is being monitored by Scotland manager George Burley but his club manager has warned the player he must add consistency to his talent if he wants to realise his international ambitions.

Jimmy Calderwood has discussed his attacker with the Scotland manager this season. With Rangers’ Kris Boyd declaring himself unavailable for selection while Burley is in charge, the Dons manager believes his player can fill the Light Blues striker’s place in the Scotland squad.

He said: “George Burley phoned me to ask about our former defender Kevin McNaughton as he was going to bring him back into the fold but he also inquired about Lee and goalkeeper Jamie Langfield.

“Lee was on George’s radar at the start of the season and, with Boyd now gone from the scene, he is an option for the manager.

“He gives the team a physical presence up front and he is not a typical Scottish player. He can play the battering ram role if required but he has great touch and vision.

“Lee has been involved in the international scene before and I think he is capable.

“Sir Alex Ferguson wasn’t raving about him in pre-season for nothing. He was wonderful against Rangers and Celtic this season and has proved himself in the big games, but he has to do it in the other games.â€

Calderwood believes Miller is capable of establishing himself in the national team if given the opportunity but has challenged the player to push himself to realise his potential.

He said: “The skill he has for a big man is wonderful and when he plays as he did on Saturday he is a handful for anyone. He needs to play at that level all the time which is why we get annoyed with him sometimes. He is a gem of a player to work with but it is up to him to decide how far he wants to take his talent. I’ve said the same thing to Charlie Mulgrew.

“Does he want to look back at 36 with a nice house and the odd Scotland cap. Or does he want to look at the medals he has?

“Lee has to want to be the best all the time if he wants to get to where he wants in his career.â€

I have always been a believer that there is a difference between playing for a foul and just out and out diving.

Most of the time Miller plays for the foul. I haven't seen too many dives like Stewart's the other week from Miller.

Exactly. And anyone who saw Duncan Shearer playing for us would know he did exactly the same thing every week for us...albeit in a slightly less effeminate manner than Miller.

Spot on.  One of his strengths is his ability to get his body between the defender and the ball.  Nine times out of ten he'll be fouled...

The radio commentators were certainly incredulous at the amount of time he spent looking for a foul on Saturday.

For commentators read fucking muppets.

Miller was excellent for us on Saturday, he draws defenders into fouls but yes, occasionally makes it look silly and rightly gets ignored by the refs. If he stayed on his feet more often refs would pay more attention to when he goes down.