🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Ultras flags banned???

Ultras’ Pittodrie flags are banned

Red card after Celtic flashpoint

By Charlie Allan

Published: 22/10/2008

COLOURFUL: The Red Ultras' display.

More Pictures

THE Dons today revealed they have banned flag displays at Pittodrie.

Aberdeen have given fans group the Red Ultras – who organise colourful displays on match days – the red card after smoke flares were let off during last month’s SPL clash with Celtic in Glasgow.

Club sources confirmed the ban was imposed in connection with an alleged incident at Celtic Park where a man was said to have used a ticket purchased by the Ultras group.

The Ultras receive special privileges to get into Pittodrie early to lay out the card and flag displays which have been a feature of Aberdeen’s home games in recent seasons.

That privilege has been removed until further notice.

Dons spokesman Dave Macdermid said: “The ban on flag displays will remain until we decide otherwise.

“We are not happy with what happened at Celtic Park and believe we have taken the right step to show that bad behaviour at games will not be tolerated.â€

The SPL take a dim view of fans carrying smoke flares into matches and have asked the Dons to explain why a total of five were set off during the Celtic game.

Macdermid said: “We have already been fined by UEFA because a fan set off a flare during our match against Dnipro in the Ukraine.

“It’s important we are seen to act and urge fans to remember it’s the club who will suffer if they don’t behave at games.â€

The Ultras responded to the ban by raising a banner at last weekend’s match at Falkirk with the words “Business as usual†printed on it.

The Evening Express received a telephone call from a fan, who initially claimed he wasn’t a member of the Ultras, confirming the ban was in place.

The fan eventually admitted he was a member of the Ultras but refused to give his name and promised to get one of their group to come back with an official comment.

We are still waiting. We were also unable to contact Steve McCormick, who has acted as the spokeman for the Ultras in the past.

CRAIG Hendry, 27, of Aberdeen, appeared in Glasgow Sheriff Court on September 30 charged with culpable and reckless conduct at the Celtic game.

He made no plea or declaration and was granted bail.

Can't say I saw the flare being lit, but thats a shame.

Correct he isnt -

But they are the ones who supplied the ticket, and supporters clubs are told it is their responsibilty to control their allocation of tickets. And they are the ones responsible if anything happens!

I have no idea, the club are using the flags as an excuse for hiding the offensice items from view of the cameras i guess, dont see how banning flags is going to solve anything.

Seems a bit harsh wasnt like it was flare or something that was endangering anyone, if thats the case then why do the club allow the ultras to use a smoke machine at certain games? doesnt make any sense!

Why not just serve the moron who let off the flare a life ban?

I think this would be more appropriate than banning such displays. There is no doubt in my mind that the big flag displays really help to build up a good atmosphere within the stadium.

Like this:

DSC00263.jpg

I am assuming that this display was the game at Parkhead this season.

I often don't agree/like the Red Ultras but they are perfectly right to display banners like this given that last weeks performance was dreadful - 0-1 Dundee United. One of the worst games I have ever witnessed by Aberdeen.

Ultimately, I think we can all agree that the Dons did go some way to restoring some pride and were unlucky not to come out with at least a point.

His ticket wasn't supplied by the red ultras as far as I'm aware - he was just standing at the first available seat like many people do at Parkheid.

Supporters clubs were told that they were responsible for whoever was using the seat they were sold, even though it wasnt the person with the ticket. I see why they did it, but in practicality its fucking stupid!

I thought so. I just don't agree with why they should have flags banned. I've always admired most of what they do and certainly add's something to the games.

I also share your opinion. Do not particularly care for the Ultras themselves but thats a different issue.

The ticket used by the guy was supplied by the Ultras therefore they are being held responsible for it. AFC is punishing them by not allowing displays in the hope that this will act as a deterrent for anyone thinking of letting off a smoke flare again.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't - he was just standing in their allocated seats.

I think he may be a lurker on here anyway to confirm either way :wave:

Then we get to the bottom of this!

Ok, he didn't have a ticket supplied by the Ultras but he was still in their allocated seats therefore AFC will assume (and, why wouldn't they?) that he is part of the Ultras.

I always just sit at an available seat at parkheid - never been asked to move.  Why stand in a restricted view seat when there's ones with better views with nobody in/at them?

I never set off a smoke bomb though  8)

The club have fucked up a bit here. Trouble is there seems to be little responsibilty on the host club to make sure that tickets correspond to occupier, hence clubs can get rubber dicked for the actions of one fanny that takes up the seat allocated to that supporters club

Guest Caroline B

Are the club not just looking for any old excuse to rid the ground of flags and banners?

Heavy handed stewarding at the Hibs game meant that a couple of flags were taken down during the game. For reason I'm still unsure as I was a good bit away from it.

My own feeling is that the club don't want these banners and flags anyway. Any old excuse will do.

They'll be taking away our scarves next!

The club asked (certainly for last season) for every ticket sold to supporters clubs to be accompanied by a name. I'm inclined to believe in that case - whether this guy is an RU member or not - that he must have got the ticket through the Ultras, whether directly or if it had been sold on by someone they had allocated it to.

The club asked (certainly for last season) for every ticket sold to supporters clubs to be accompanied by a name. I'm inclined to believe in that case - whether this guy is an RU member or not - that he must have got the ticket through the Ultras, whether directly or if it had been sold on by someone they had allocated it to.

that's my thinking on the matter as well, seems like its not a case of the club wanting to get rid of the ultras and the displays that they put on, but more of a case of being seen to take action against the person/people responsible for letting off smoke bombs

that's my thinking on the matter as well, seems like its not a case of the club wanting to get rid of the ultras and the displays that they put on, but more of a case of being seen to take action against the person/people responsible for letting off smoke bombs

Surely it should only be the person who broke the law that should be punished, and not all of the people in the supporters club they got the ticket from??.

Guest onlyjim

This guy deserves all he gets.

Everyone knows that you can't set anything of unless it is part of an organised display.

He did it knowing it would hurt the fans as well as the club as it always does.(unless he is realy thick OR A HUN no difference realy)

He's worse than the dick heads who set off fireworks weeks before and after November 5th, anoying the shit out of everyone.

Guest onlyjim

:o;D:o;D:o;D

Fuck me - are you a security guard or a teacher... that's it - you must be a traffic warden!!! Never used yer mobile while driving, or parked on a double yellow?  Or did ye just nae get much sleep last cos of fireworks?  ;D

Rules are made to be broken - and us Dons fans, we're ah mintal, min!!!

I'm none of the above but glad i'm not you.

No wonder the streets aren't safe any more.

Guest onlyjim

The street's aren't safe because of a smoke bomb getting set off? WTF?

The streets are safe... you've been watching too much Sky News, min!!!

It seems you are too mintal to get what i was saying so what's the use.

Happy smoke bombing!!!