Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Jamie: My best has still to come

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/896594

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 21/10/2008

SLATED: Aberdeen winger Jamie Smith.

More Pictures

JAMIE Smith today admitted manager Jimmy Calderwood was right to slate his form for the Dons.

Calderwood expressed concern over Smith’s poor displays at the start of the season and warned it could harm the 27-year-old’s chances of getting his contract extended in the summer.

Smith, who made his first top team appearance since August when he came on as a substitute in the 1-0 win over Falkirk, has taken the criticism on the chin.

Smith said: “The manager is entitled to say what ever he wants because he spoke to me about it first.

“He is always demanding more from me and I think that’s great.

“I like to be pushed and no-one knows more than I do that I’m capable of doing a lot more than I have so far this season.

“I’m my No.1 critic, but I honestly believe the best of me in an Aberdeen shirt has still to come.

“There have been times when I’ve really enjoyed my contribution, like when we played Copenhagen in the UEFA Cup.

“But that’s only one game. I’m determined to enjoy a lot more like that.

“I’ve come off the pitch after a hard shift still annoyed because I wasn’t as influential on the ball as I’m capable of being.

“I sit at home getting cut up about it because I want to do a lot more than I have so far for Aberdeen.

“We have a good squad of boys and I want to do my bit. It’s nothing to do with me being out of contract in the summer.

“I want the team to succeed and be involved in exciting things – like last season’s European run.

“If I can help the club achieve that then it will leave the club with a difficult decision over what to do about my contract.

“But I’m more concerned about proving my worth at this stage.â€

Smith was delighted to feature in the win at Falkirk and hopes the injury problems that have hindered him at Pittodrie are now behind him.

He said: “It was great to be back and get a run out. I certainly wasn’t expecting to be involved so quickly.

“No footballer likes to be injured and the last two and a half seasons have been very annoying for me.

“I believe we have finally got to the root of what my main problem was.

“The last injury wasn’t related, so I’m hoping I will now get a run at playing regularly.â€

Smith was due to feature in today’s SPL Reserve League clash with Hibs at Brechin.

Striker Tommy Wright, who has recovered from a bout of flu, will also play.

Guest swaddon

Hopefully if Jamie Smith stays injury-free for a while, then he'll be one of the better performers this season. He does have the ability, he just needs to show it more often.