Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Do you still enjoy the football?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to the game for me is no longer about seeing the dons play, its about meeting my mates travelling then meeting more friends wherever the game is.

I agree with this 100%

3pm-5pm is really just a sobering up time so that after the game I can go on drinking to the wee small hours.

I agree with this 100%

3pm-5pm is really just a sobering up time so that after the game I can go on drinking to the wee small hours.

What he and mizer said. The fitba is getting in the way of a good day out but that isn't something peculiar to AFC or it's fans, it's part of a general malaise. Standards are dropping throughout the game.

Standards are dropping throughout the game.

It's the age old argument. Improved tactical awareness, better defending and fitter athletes able to hold a line and stifle chances, or not as many good natural finishers and creative players capable of opening them up.

Ronaldo and Messi seem to be excellent examples that the talent pool is still there, but their longevity and consistency is as yet unproven.

We definitely seem to have less prolific finishers in the game now. Henry was the last great in the EPL, as Drogba failed to develop behind his shadow. Larrson and McCoist in the SPL being the last two recognised natural finishers possibly.

Go back a couple of decades plus and there are so many to choose from. Harper, Black, McGhee, Archibald, Frankie Mac, John Robertson even. Ian Rush, Kenny Dalglish, Brian McLair, Kevin Keegan, Malcolm McDougall, Charlie Nicholas, Sniffer Clark, Charlie George, Stanley QPR, Charlton, Best, Law, Greaves. Joe Jordan, Willie Pettigrew, Paul Sturrock.

Darren Mackie doesn't quite belong in this company. Neither Samaras nor Boyd nor any of them in the SPL today. Torres has the makings of a great if he keeps this up over time, Adebayor is perhaps less convincing. Every single year you had a number of great finishers on both sides of the border. Now, we are struggling to find a couple. Think you are right TF.

We definitely seem to have less prolific finishers in the game now. Henry was the last great in the EPL, as Drogba failed to develop behind his shadow. Larrson and McCoist in the SPL being the last two recognised natural finishers possibly.

Alan Shearer, Michael Owen, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Andy Cole, Teddy Sheringham, Kevin Phillips, Emmanuel Adebayor, Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Torres, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Robbie Fowler, Les Ferdinand, Dwight Yorke, Ian Wright.  I could go on...  ;)

I don't really agree with your comments with regard to Drogba either.  He's just short of a 'one-in-two' record.

Go back a couple of decades plus and there are so many to choose from. Harper, Black, McGhee, Archibald, Frankie Mac, John Robertson even. Ian Rush, Kenny Dalglish, Brian McLair, Kevin Keegan, Malcolm McDougall, Charlie Nicholas, Sniffer Clark, Charlie George, Stanley QPR, Charlton, Best, Law, Greaves. Joe Jordan, Willie Pettigrew, Paul Sturrock.

You've listed players from five decades, and are comparing them to the last one or two decades.  :-\

And some of those listed were not prolific.  Great players, but by no means prolific.

Alan Shearer, Michael Owen, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Andy Cole, Teddy Sheringham, Kevin Phillips, Emmanuel Adebayor, Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Torres, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Robbie Fowler, Les Ferdinand, Dwight Yorke, Ian Wright.  I could go on...  ;)

I don't really agree with your comments with regard to Drogba either.  He's just short of a 'one-in-two' record.

You've listed players from five decades, and are comparing them to the last one or two decades.   :-\

And some of those listed were not prolific.  Great players, but by no means prolific.

Yes, I rattled off a few, and you've just added to them. My point was if you go beyond a couple of decades, from where all my examples were, there were many more proven strikers in England and Scotland, every year, than we have today. I can't recall anyone since Larsson being noted in the SPL as a great finisher.

Willie Pettigrew? Not prolific? Maybe not, but he was better than Darren Mackie.

Pedant. Pedantactile. Pedler. Fiddler.

Yes, I rattled off a few, and you've just added to them. My point was if you go beyond a couple of decades, from where all my examples were, there were many more proven strikers in England and Scotland, every year, than we have today.

If you compare five decades worth of player to two decades worth, of course you'll find more players.  The law of averages and all that.  There've been many great finishers in the UK since the turn of the 90s.

I can't recall anyone since Larsson being noted in the SPL as a great finisher.

You can't really argue with Kris Boyd, he's not got much to his game but f*ck me, he knows where the goals are.  Or even Scott MacDonald.  Arild Stavrum was a brilliant finisher, just a shame he wasn't around for longer.  Marco Negri has a pretty good goals to games ratio.  I'm sure there are more but that's off the top of my head...

The biggest problem in Scotland in recent years is that any player who has a decent season in the SPL is either snapped up by the Old Firm or some lower league club in England offering ridiculous wages.

Willie Pettigrew? Not prolific? Maybe not, but he was better than Darren Mackie.

Did I say that Pettigrew wasn't prolific? 

Some of the players you listed were not prolific.  I'm a Man United fan, and I'm the first to admit that George Best, Bobby Charlton, Joe Jordan and Brian McClair were not prolific.  They got their fair share of goals, but prolific?  Not in my book.  McGhee wasn't what I'd call a prolific striker either.  Charlie Nicholas as well.  Nor Paul Sturrock.

I bet if I was to comment that Wayne Rooney was prolific, you'd ridicule that suggestion, but his goals to games ratio is on a par with some of the players you listed, if not better than those.

Is that a real question?

Bit obvious isn't it?

No.

The question is 'Do you still enjoy the football?'

'No' means that I do not still enjoy the football. The 'still' in the question implies that this also means that I have enjoyed the football at some point though,which renders 'Not as much as I used to' a bit redundant. I.e. they mean the same thing.

Unless 'No' means 'I have never enjoyed the football', in which case 'the football' needs clarified. What football? Calderwood's? Aberdeen's? All football ever?

And I voted 'Yes', because I still enjoy the football. But I don't enjoy it as much as I used to.  ???

No.

The question is 'Do you still enjoy the football?'

'No' means that I do not still enjoy the football. The 'still' in the question implies that this also means that I have enjoyed the football at some point though,which renders 'Not as much as I used to' a bit redundant. I.e. they mean the same thing.

Unless 'No' means 'I have never enjoyed the football', in which case 'the football' needs clarified. What football? Calderwood's? Aberdeen's? All football ever?

And I voted 'Yes', because I still enjoy the football. But I don't enjoy it as much as I used to.  ???

Yes - As much as I always have

Not as much as I used to - I still enjoy it but, funnily enough, not as much as I used to

No - I don't enjoy it at all.

:thumbsup:

Not as much as i used to - not the same rivalry between fans - atmosphere is more often then not pish as is the football on offer and charged £20 - £30 for the pleasure of it.

Used to live for the away games and even that has lost its edge :(

I still enjoy going to the football as much as I always have.  For different reasons though.  I used to go to Aberdeen games when I was younger expecting/knowing the Dons would thump the opposition unless we played Rangers.

Nowadays it's a case of not knowing what to expect, but I still enjoy it and get just as excited about seeing us play as I did when I was a boy.

Guest onlyjim

If we didn't have up's and down's it would all be pretty boreing.

Not knowing the outcome and living in hope is what makes it exciting and worth while.