Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Do you still enjoy the football?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When I was younger I used to spend the whole week looking forward to watching Aberdeen play. Nowadays, I live abroad, but I find it a chore most Saturdays sticking on the computer to listen or watch completely uninspiring football. I was wondering if anyone else was starting to feel this disillusioned with things.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted "not as much as I used to"

I don't agree necessarily with the terminology "disillusioned" but there certainly at this moment in time isn't the same degree of anticipation and excitement ahead of Sat afternoon's fitba.

If I'm honest, I have said to the bairn, not sure what game I'll go to next this season, but hey ho....couple of wins, and all will be coming up a bed of roses again

No I don't. First game of the season for me today, and apart from a couple of off-field highlights, it was pure pisch.

No fight, no skill, no organisation, no luck. Hibs were really ordinary, and they leave with 3 points.

I have no idea of the crowd size but it looked sub 10k. We have major problems.

I find it hard to get motivated, as the rot has become institutionalised. The hard part is that I know the club needs support. I just don't believe in them.

10,793 on a shitty, cold, rainy day. Not that bad.

I still enjoy it, if we'd won today everyone would be talking differently. We deserved to win, but got no luck, which seems to be the story of the season so far.

I would say that is a poor crowd for a game against one of the bigger clubs in the league.

I have a ST and live in town yet considered not going the way the weather was in the morning. Can understand perfectly well if people decided not to go if they hadn't bought tickets in advance.

The size of crowd is just indicative of the way things are going at the moment. Not everyone's lives revolve around football, and while it'd be nice for us to have bigger crowds every game it's just not going to happen.

I still enjoy it, if we'd won today everyone would be talking differently. We deserved to win, but got no luck, which seems to be the story of the season so far.

I think that is a fair point, but I am talking about over a long period of time. I'm not a massive fan of Calderwood but the current run is not really what I am talking about. I am actually fairly certain we will start winning again soon because we hae a reasonably average or above average squad of players. However, even supposing we win 10 in a row, I don't get excited about it half as much as I used to.

I know this will be controversial but I would go as far as to say I used to enjoy going to the football, in general, more during the Ebbe era than now. I accept things are better now than they were at that time, and that Calderwood has done a reasonable job and almost certainly better than Ebbe. But in terms of excitement and enjoyment, I was much happier going to see the likes of Kjaer, Bisconti, Zerouali, Belabed, Guntveit and Stavrum as opposed to Foster, Considine, Maguire, Kerr and even Miller. I understand we probably had more finances available to us at that time, but if we look even further back, we still had exciting Scottish/British players that didn't cost an arm and a leg - Eoin Jess, Scott Booth, Stephen Wright, David Robertson, Duncan Shearer, Lee Richardson to mention but a few.

I just feel as if we are lacking a spark, an excitement. There is not one of the current squad that jumps out and screams ambition to me, other than perhaps Aluko.

I have a ST and live in town yet considered not going the way the weather was in the morning. Can understand perfectly well if people decided not to go if they hadn't bought tickets in advance.

The size of crowd is just indicative of the way things are going at the moment. Not everyone's lives revolve around football, and while it'd be nice for us to have bigger crowds every game it's just not going to happen.

Fair weather fan then?  ;)

I understand your point perfectly well, I'd still say that it was a fairly big game for us today, expected a bit more I have to say.

Fair weather fan then?   ;)

I understand your point perfectly well, I'd still say that it was a fairly big game for us today, expected a bit more I have to say.

I think, other than against Celtic, based on the last few performances, it was a very healthy crowd. However, I am still not sure if they include absent ST holders in their calculations.

That may have been the official number, but don't believe everything they tell you.

Being so bored with the first 5 minutes and 48 seconds, I decided to count the crowd, individually.

So I left my seat, went to the end of the SS and started, row by row, to count the crowd.

Certain fucking bastards were coming and going for pies and bovril and pisses and that, and presumably the odd dump, so it was never going to be exact.

And I also underestimated the length of time it takes to do this thing. I also forgot where I was at 3.27 so had to start all over again.

But at 20 to 5, having done the SS and RDU and RDL, and halfway through the Main Stand, some absolute bastards started leaving.

I shouted for them to stay, but they fucking ignored me, and looked at me like I was a fucking nutter. Cunts.

Anyway, it was mission unaccomplished, unless any of you can provide the exact personnel in the Merkie, and from the Main Stand D Row GG onwards.

But if there were as many there today as the Sunday 1-1 draw with Celtic QF (10,909 apparently), then I'm a fucking madman.

Fair weather fan then?   ;)

I was almost as cold today as I was at the Lokomotiv game!

The considering not going was early this morning when I was woken up by the wind and rain battering off my window!

But anyway, I went, and the only home games I've missed this season were cos I wasn't in Aberdeen, not cos of the weather! ;)

I have a STD and live in town yet considered not going the way the weather was in the morning. Can understand perfectly well if people decided not to go if they hadn't bought tickets in advance.

:thumbsup:

I was almost as cold today as I was at the Lokomotiv game!

Pussy! I am reminded of the Monty Python sketch with licking tut road clean then get stabbed up t'arse with broken Newkie broon bottle.

The Hamilton game in January was way colder than today. It's the degrees of coldness in between that you are failing to appreciate.

next saturday dude.

You should have a pre-nup imposed on you by Alec Salmond.

The Republic of Caledonia forbids this pair to have children.

She is either feeble-minded or as equally depraved as you, to offer her consent.

Actually, knock yersels oot. You're a weegie bum boy public schoolboy faggot and therfore excluded from an Aberdonia passport.

Your spawned offsring might be interesting though, in a keechy, jobby type of way.

Diversity? We love a bit of it.

Get her up the duff. If ye're still able.

Going to the game for me is no longer about seeing the dons play, its about meeting my mates travelling then meeting more friends wherever the game is.

Ajja summed it up perfectly for me

Sure' date=' the footie is becoming more and more of an unwelcome distraction but it creates the incentive to have some good times, regardless of results and style of play.[/quote']

Going to the game for me is no longer about seeing the dons play, its about meeting my mates travelling then meeting more friends wherever the game is.

It became that for me years ago. And when you're in that position, thinking that spending time having a laugh with your mates is costing you £100 a time (on average) you soon realise how crap the whole thing is if you're no longer enjoying the focal point of the day.

It became that for me years ago. And when you're in that position, thinking that spending time having a laugh with your mates is costing you £100 a time (on average) you soon realise how crap the whole thing is if you're no longer enjoying the focal point of the day.

Correct, nobody has any passion for this dreary team.