Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

How long will We give JC?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest fatshaft

I'm sure Billy Davies, once he didn't get the Scotland job, thought, mmmm, i'll wait around for the Aberdeen job.....

???

If Billy Davies ends up managing Aberdeen this season, i'll eat my own c0(k

Not a case of waiting nt (and I'm not saying I believe the rumour, but I'm erring on the side of hope), he applied for Scotland, got knocked back, salary circa £400k. He hasn't been mentioned for a single other job since getting the push from Derby, we come knocking, he'll be interested.

That said, surely no-one at AFC has gone to him on the proviso, would you be interested if Jimmy loses the next three matches?

I can't see Aberdeen FC being even remotely interested in a managerial change. They signed JC up for 3 years off the back of what they will have seen as a very good season last year. While we are all concerned about the deterioration of the playing side, the club will have been rubbing their hands at what was a very very lucrative season financially. JC is a fantastic manager in their eyes and that's what is important.

I'm all for being realistic rather than the hysteria that has been seen on here in recent weeks.

However, I'm not in favour of this argument anymore. Just because we were subject to (and accepted) utter rubbish in terms of management and performances in a ten year period prior to JC arriving does not mean we should be 'grateful for what we have now'.

There has been a sizemic shift in Scottish football in the last 5 years as budgets are reigned in and player standards across the board have eroded in the face of financial crisis. A large number of SPL sides are now shopping in the basement and are unable to pay anything like the money they previously did. At the time when we were playing utter horse we were cutting costs out of line with most other teams. We are now, relatively speaking, better off than most with regard to available budgets and spending power.

My rather laboured point is that we should be expecting to be top 4 and semi-finalists minimum with our resource. If our manager is not able to do this then he is not utilising that resource as effectively as clubs who are poorer than us. The benchmark is not how we were 5 years ago, its how other clubs are now.

Lets stop thinking things are great because they were so utterly pish before.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Could it be that the team is just settling and we will see dramatic improvements in the next few games, the passing/movement for our first on Saturday was excellent.

We can but dream Hunter, .... touch wood, not stand on a cracked pavement slab and avoid walking under ladders  :-\

Hopefully you are right though, I'm just in glass half empty mode as been here so many times before!.

After ICT game I was devastated at how shite we were. M'well, huns then St M games gave me a false sense of security in that I thought the "team" were starting to gel. Hamilton game blew that theory out of the water!.

For the stattos out there... how many changes in the team have we had game by game in our starting line-up this season so far ???

My rather laboured point is that we should be expecting to be top 4 and semi-finalists minimum with our resource.

And what resource is that exactly?  Going by this logic, we shouldn't have a hope in hell competing with Hibs, Celtic and Rangers.  With the wages Hearts pay out, them as well

Yep.

Although I'm not entirely enamoured with our current play or league position it doesn't detract from the fact that he has to rebuild his squad each season when his favourite players are punted or let walk.

Two of our main players and first names on the team sheet each week (Hart & Clark) were punted when we were spitting distance of our first final in years.

We should be building on something each season.  Not building from scratch.

And what resource is that exactly?  Going by this logic, we shouldn't have a hope in hell competing with Hibs, Celtic and Rangers.  With the wages Hearts pay out, them as well

To my knowledge (and I confess that is limited) we are the 4th best resourced team in the SPL in terms of the players budget. Its possible that Hibs have better although I'm pretty sure their wealth and profit generation goes elsewhere. It's also possible that Dundee UTD provide more money for players as they are still fairly reckless when it comes to cutting their cloth.

However, I will stick with my original assertion that we are placed 4th. With the 4th biggest resource in terms of player spend, we can 'logically' expect to be the 4th best placed team in all competitions. That means top 4 in the league, a good shout at Europe and cup semi-finalists. It goes without saying that you can't always achieve that but you can at least expect it.

JC has a 50% success rate in the last 2 seasons (Europe 1 of 2, top 4 1 of 2 and semifinals 2 of 4) so has not been an unmitigated disaster. However, a 50% success rate with a major deterioration in footballing terms and the reduced crowd revenue that comes from it we are in serious need of a change (not necessarily the manager but something). I'm willing to wait and see what happens with what is a new side this season but I have serious reservations about the future under JC.

Cup semi finals are fuck all, will people stop talking about them like they are success!  :hammer:

You should be in the cup until you meet on of the far better funded old-firm.

I don't think I am saying that they are success, I'm saying they are the acceptable standard, the expectation. In saying that, looking at the start of this season I'd take one semi in a heartbeat.

I don't think I am saying that they are success, I'm saying they are the acceptable standard, the expectation. In saying that, looking at the start of this season I'd take one semi in a heartbeat.

Why are they an acceptable standard then? You can quite easily reach them without playing decent teams. This notion of semi-finals being a benchmark was rolled out at the end of last season by the Jimmy is the messiah crowd after we got humiliated in both of them.

To my knowledge (and I confess that is limited) we are the 4th best resourced team in the SPL in terms of the players budget. Its possible that Hibs have better although I'm pretty sure their wealth and profit generation goes elsewhere. It's also possible that Dundee UTD provide more money for players as they are still fairly reckless when it comes to cutting their cloth.

However, I will stick with my original assertion that we are placed 4th. With the 4th biggest resource in terms of player spend, we can 'logically' expect to be the 4th best placed team in all competitions. That means top 4 in the league, a good shout at Europe and cup semi-finalists. It goes without saying that you can't always achieve that but you can at least expect it.

JC has a 50% success rate in the last 2 seasons (Europe 1 of 2, top 4 1 of 2 and semifinals 2 of 4) so has not been an unmitigated disaster. However, a 50% success rate with a major deterioration in footballing terms and the reduced crowd revenue that comes from it we are in serious need of a change (not necessarily the manager but something). I'm willing to wait and see what happens with what is a new side this season but I have serious reservations about the future under JC.

100% sure we pay better than Hibs. They couldn't afford MacNamara, even after selling two of their highest earners, who were both reported to be on £1500 ish (Brown and Thomson). Fletcher got a couple of £1000 rise and Hibs said this made him far and away the highest paid player there.

Why are they an acceptable standard then? You can quite easily reach them without playing decent teams. This notion of semi-finals being a benchmark was rolled out at the end of last season by the Jimmy is the messiah crowd after we got humiliated in both of them.

Well they way i'd look at it, Rangers and Celtic are the two best teams, so in theory they should be the finalists. Not how it works but thats the wayexpectations are built.

Well they way i'd look at it, Rangers and Celtic are the two best teams, so in theory they should be the finalists. Not how it works but thats the wayexpectations are built.

Correct, if you are unlucky to meet them in the 1st or 2nd game and get knocked out you cant really say it was a bad cup run. However under JC's tenure that has only happened a couple of times.

Our cup record under Jimmy:

04/05

League Cup Exit: Lost first game to rangers 2-0 at home. Pretty much as expected.

Scottish cup Exit: Second Game losing 4-1 to United. "Dundee United eased into the semi-final of the Scottish Cup with an emphatic win over Aberdeen."07/08

05/06

League Cup Exit: Loss to Motherwell in the 2nd game.

Scottish cup Exit: Lost 3-0 in the second game v hearts - one of the worst refereeing performances I have ever seen, but we did deserve to lose!

06/07

League Cup Exit: First game defeat to Queens park. Need I say anything about this fucktard of a game?

Scottish cup Exit: Knocked out by hibs in our first game (replay) 4-1, shambolic two at the back formation, the first game I ever walked out before full time.

07/08 (Good cup year run)

First game v Partick won 2-0, would have been a different game if Langfield hadn't saved a pen at 0-0. Next a very nice 4-1 victory over ICT.....

League Cup exit: Horsed 4-1 at Tynecastle, total collapse, disgrace of a performance.

First game was against Falkirk, good start by us but it went to replay after it ended 2-2, we went through beating them 3-1 at home. Second game scrape through against Hamilton 1-0. Quarter final drew with Celtic at home and went to replay at Celtic Park. Hung on and grabbed the goal, best bounce of the season......but then came the Semi.

Scottish cup exit: Humiliated by QotS losing 4 goals in a defensive nightmare, and threw away the chance to play in the UEFA cup.

08/09

League Cup exit: Another defensive nightmare as Killie beat us 4-2.

Its an acceptable standard because to better it goes against the logical outcome of where we are positioned in Scottish footballing terms. I'll repeat it again for those at the back of the class shall I ?

If we are expected to be 4th then we should expect to be in a semi final. To oust the 1st & 2nd position teams would have to be considered stretching us beyond our rightful expectation. This may offend your aspirations and dreams but its logic I am pedalling. Therefore, semi finals are acceptable standards unless you can convince me otherwise ? Your logic seems to suggest that if semi finals are not acceptable standards then we should expect finals ? I fail to see how when there are 3 teams who have more resource than we do. Feel free to explain it to me though, I may be missing a crucial point.

Its an acceptable standard because to better it goes against the logical outcome of where we are positioned in Scottish footballing terms. I'll repeat it again for those at the back of the class shall I ?

If we are expected to be 4th then we should expect to be in a semi final. To oust the 1st & 2nd position teams would have to be considered stretching us beyond our rightful expectation. This may offend your aspirations and dreams but its logic I am pedalling. Therefore, semi finals are acceptable standards unless you can convince me otherwise ? Your logic seems to suggest that if semi finals are not acceptable standards then we should expect finals ? I fail to see how when there are 3 teams who have more resource than we do. Feel free to explain it to me though, I may be missing a crucial point.

+1 A smarter and fuller version of what I was trying to say.