Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Red Army wrong to boo Dons players

Red Army wrong to boo Dons players

Published: 22/09/2008

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today claimed they did not deserve to face the wrath of their fans after losing 1-0 to Dundee United.

For the second week in a row, Aberdeen left the Pittodrie pitch to a chorus of jeers after making it one point from the four SPL matches played on their own patch so far this season.

But Calderwood believes the fans over-reacted on this occasion, despite the fact United had failed to win any of their previous 17 games.

Calderwood said: “I can understand their frustration, but I thought their reaction was a bit harsh this time.

“I can’t fault any of the players for effort and felt we performed a lot better than we did against Hamilton.

“To be honest, we were mugged.

“I know we can play a lot better, but we dominated the first half and United never looked like hurting us.

“They were there for the taking but we gave them a daft goal and that drained our confidence.

I accept the result is not what we wanted and why the fans reacted as they did.

“But I hope they agree the players at least gave everything they had.

“All you can ask is that people give 100%.â€

Calderwood hopes having to endure the sight and sound of the United players celebrating only their second win in five years at Pittodrie will fire them up to end their home hoodoo when Hibs come calling on October 4.

He said: “We could hear the United lads celebrating in the dressing room like they had won a cup final. Inverness were the same and it’s a sign of the respect people have for Aberdeen.

“But I’m sick of hearing that sort of stuff and want to see it stopped.â€

Poor use of the ball was the main problem for Aberdeen in a disappointing 90 minutes, with defender Charlie Mulgrew the main culprit.

Calderwood said: “Most of Charlie’s crosses never got past the first man, which is criminal at this level.

“The good thing is we know he is capable of a better.

“I’m more concerned about the casual way he conceded the corner that led to United’s penalty.

“We keep gifting teams goals. It’s hard enough to win at home as it is.â€

Striker Tommy Wright’s crazy handball gave United the decisive penalty. Calderwood agreed it was a moment of madness by the Englishman.

He said: “Tommy claimed he was pushed but his hand should never have been near the ball.â€

Aberdeen now face a tricky trip to Kilmarnock on Wednesday in the CIS League Cup and Calderwood is confident they will rise to the challenge.

“When you consider we were seeded it’s the hardest draw we could have got,†he said.

“We haven’t lost a goal away yet and we are going to be like a wounded animal.â€

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No jimmy, you play pish, end up with pish results, we pay our money, we have the right to express our displeasure in this way, otherwise are we meant to quietly accept poor performances and mediocrity  Robbed or not?

Have a think about it, but more importantly DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, then we wont have any NEED to boo the players.

One point from 12 Jimmy.

United were poor but we couldnt beat them, what does that say? We cant score for shit, everyone thought that the 30 goal target for the strikers was a bit unambitious, now it seems unrealistic! What fucking use is our striking coach Sandy Clark?

Charlie Allan finally turns on Calderwood for the first time in the other EE article (but can't cut and paste that one so if someone else can it is quite funny)

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/835847

Wright hands victory to United

Calderwood wrong to claim Dons dominated dismal clash

By Charlie Allan

Published: 22/09/2008

TURNING POINT: Tommy Wright, centre, concedes the decisive penalty.

More Pictures

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood says he felt they were mugged as United claimed their first league win since March.

But it’s the fans who coughed up an average of £20 each to watch this rubbish who were robbed blind.

This was an awful match played by two terrible teams. It’s embarrassing to think it was screened live throughout Britain, heaven knows what football supporters south of the border will have thought of it all.

It was Scottish football at its very worst. The majority of the players appeared to have forgotten how to control the ball, never mind pass it about and maybe entertain the paying fans.

How Calderwood could say the Dons dominated for a spell is beyond me. We must have been at a different game.

Calderwood is right to say the Dons enjoyed a lot of possession in the first half, but it’s what you do with it that counts.

For the third time in four home games they failed to give their front men any decent service.

United defensive pair Lee Wilkie and Darren Dods picked off the barrage of long balls aimed at them as easily as taking sweeties from a bairn.

You can’t fault any of the Dons players for effort, but that can only take you so far in this league.

It could have been so different if Gary McDonald hadn’t missed a glorious chance in the fifth minute, when he scooped the ball over the bar from five yards after Lee Miller’s free-kick had been knocked into his path.

From then on it was a case of cringing as the quality of play rapidly deteriorated.

Charlie Mulgrew wasted countless chances to set up chances from corners and free-kicks and that increased the frustration in the stands.

The Dons at least went close again just before the interval, when Chris Maguire’s shot was parried by United keeper Lukasz Zaluska.

Tommy Wright was crowded out as he attempted to net the rebound and McDonald then shot off target again.

The bizarre manner in which United were gifted the decisive penalty will have had the armchair viewers down south wondering if they were actually watching basketball.

I would love to know what was going through Wright’s head when he chose to wave his arm up like a windmill to knock away Craig Conway’s corner.

The Englishman declined the request to explain things to the Dons fans via the media afterwards.

It was a stonewall penalty, taken expertly by Francisco SANDAZA, whose little shimmy during his run-up was enough to send Jamie Langfield the wrong way.

You knew there would be no way back for the dismal Dons, even with more than 40 minutes still to go.

Jon Daly should have made it 2-0 when he shot wide of an empty goal from six yards as the match fittingly ended with Mulgrew sending another disappointing free-kick into the hands of Zaluska.

Losing at Pittodrie to Inverness, Hamilton and now United is simply not acceptable, and if the Dons don’t sort themselves out quickly, they will soon be struggling to give away tickets.

One question. Its something that went through my head at the time, are players allowed to stop during their run up? I didn't think that they could and was shouting that at the telly at the time. I'd forgotten about it by the end of the match but was reminded of it there. I'm sure it wouldn't have made much difference as he would have scored the retake, but just wondered.

One question. Its something that went through my head at the time, are players allowed to stop during their run up?

They're not allowed to stop completely and trick the keeper into committing to a dive.  The penalty two minutes into this video shouldn't have stood.

However it's okay as long as the keeper doesn't commit to anything, see Ronaldo's missed penalty in the Champs League Final for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXYgD2kI-7Q

From BBC Sport You Are The Ref at Euro 2008

Situation:

The kicker runs up but stops in his run-up, the French goalkeeper dives to his left but too soon. The kicker then takes another step and blasts the ball off the post and in.

You blow your whistle for the kick to be retaken and you caution (yellow card) him for his unsporting behaviour - stopping in his run-up.

Keith Hackett's answer

The referee was correct in cautioning the kicker for unsporting behaviour when he stopped during his run up to kick the ball because this is deemed trickery to deceive the goalkeeper, who committed and had dived to his left.

It is different to a player who may attempt to deceive the goalkeeper as to his intentions when taking the kick, but fails to commit him. Then it is allowed in law. A subtle difference often missed or understood by the spectator.

Charlie Allan finally turns on Calderwood for the first time

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/835847

Losing at Pittodrie to Inverness, Hamilton and now United is simply not acceptable, and if the Dons don’t sort themselves out quickly, they will soon be struggling to give away tickets.

Charlie got that spot on.

Jimmy GTF  >:D

Did he seriously expect the fans not to boo on Saturday after yet another home defeat and lacklustre performance??!

As K9 and BB pointed out he seems oblivious to his failings, and doesn't consider that the boo's are directed at him too  :hammer:

If this continues there will be fewer and fewer fans there every week to boo. Alot of us have about had enough of the tactical tombola, favourites getting played no matter what, the pish Jimmy regularly spouts to the media and NEVER taking the blame for anything.

If this continues there will be fewer and fewer fans there every week to boo. Alot of us have about had enough of the tactical tombola, favourites getting played no matter what, the pish Jimmy regularly spouts to the media and NEVER taking the blame for anything.

I could actually deal with the tactical tombola IF players were selected on the basis of form.

It has been said many times on here but Seve is not fit for purpose but is still picked week in week out. He was dropped last season and we played well, he came back and we went backwards. Stevie Wonder can see that he is a major problem at the moment and lets be honest here, it could be argued that Stephen Hawking has better communication skills than Seve.

What Im getting at is that though people are quick to blame JC, the main problem is a lack of leadership on the pitch. That should be the first thing that should be addressed.

If JC doesn't like the Red Army booing his players, he knows what to do about it.

The bar was set for this club when he took us into Europe, Jimmy is always blowing that the expectations are high at Pittodrie, what does he expect? One good European campaign, and that's it? No, we need to be challenging for cups and European places every season, not once in a while.

I'm not usually one of these people clamouring for Jimmy to be sacked, but it seems to me that we're sliding back into the bad old days under Steve Paterson, and JC had better sort his team out soon.

What other professions are there that when you perform drastically worse than you know you can and don't get told about it or disciplined. Football should, really, be no different.

Indeed.

Milne, Miller, Calderwood, Nicholl, Sandy Clark, and most of the players should all be punted!  :thumbsup:

I could actually deal with the tactical tombola IF players were selected on the basis of form.

It has been said many times on here but Seve is not fit for purpose but is still picked week in week out. He was dropped last season and we played well, he came back and we went backwards. Stevie Wonder can see that he is a major problem at the moment and lets be honest here, it could be argued that Stephen Hawking has better communication skills than Seve.

What Im getting at is that though people are quick to blame JC, the main problem is a lack of leadership on the pitch. That should be the first thing that should be addressed.

Is that not part of JC's job, too? To find an appropriate leader on the pitch? We lost our on field leader when Anderson left for Sunderland, I said last season that the way things went last term made it look as though Anderson was more important for us than Calderwood. It became apparent that to some extent we were getting by in spite of JC.

When Anderson left for Sunderland it simply wasn't good enough for him to assume that Severin would take on the mantle of team leader, be it in how he plays or how he communicates with his team mates on the pitch.  But that is exactly what he did assume. I said on another thread that our team lacks a soul, it was disappearing after Anderson left, it packed it's bags and fucked off for good when Hart was ridiculously allowed to leave.  Calderwood can blame the board all he wants for limiting the budget, but if he really wanted to keep Michael Hart, he would have.  Neither has been replaced in a playing capacity nor in terms of leadership.

That brings me to another thing that I have long suspected JC of, complete and utter laziness when it comes to the signing of players. He has signed some good players for us, and I am happy to admit that, but there are players he has signed that make me wonder if he actually knows what standard of player is required for our league never mind for getting us into Europe or winning cups.  How many strikers has he signed while he's been here and how many have actually been any fucking good at all? 

There is a lingering feeling that players are signed on a "aye, fuck it, he'll do" basis. I have a ghastly feeling that McDonald was signed simply because he was available and had played in Scotland before, as you surely would not sign him as well as Kerr?  There is something strange with the signings of Karim Touzani (and his subsequent departure) and Jeffrey De Visscher, both signed and talked up to the hilt, then rarely used. Or, and in JDV's case in particular, appearing to be the exact opposite of the player described by the guy who's just signed him. 

For every Aluko, Nicholson and Miller, there's a Kristianson, Bus, Baas, Bossu, Langfield, Soutar, the Paatelainens and Byrne.  After four years in the job, there is no mistake that this is Calderwood's side. So, how does he not realise that we're not just booing the players, we're booing him too?  That is someone who is either incredibly arrogant to think they are exempt from criticism, or it's someone who is violently stupid.  I'm not sure which way to go on that one...

As I said brownie he plays his favourites no matter what. I too "could actually deal with the tactical tombola" if he played those in form, played them IN position and didn't keep changing the formation throughout the game so that even the players are confused!

You will get no argument from me that Seve should not be captain/has no leadership skills, but who chose him ?!.... JC!

I've said it before and will say it again that I will never forgive Seve for his interview after McCulloch's kung-fu kick on him  >:D

I've not been one who was quick to blame JC. I was one of the one's with splinters in my arse from sitting on the fence. Sometimes I could have  :hammer: him, and at other times  :-* him (not literally I hasten to add!!).

our team lacks a soul

Less than a year ago I was proudly designing t-shirts to wear in Madrid with Alfredo Di Stefano's famous quote on it. Agree that now our team lacks a soul  :(

[For every Aluko, Nicholson and Miller, there's a Kristianson, Bus, Baas, Bossu, Langfield, Soutar, the Paatelainens and Byrne. After four years in the job, there is no mistake that this is Calderwood's side. So, how does he not realise that we're not just booing the players, we're booing him too?  That is someone who is either incredibly arrogant to think they are exempt from criticism, or it's someone who is violently stupid.  I'm not sure which way to go on that one...

:clap: :clap: :clap: I would go with the former, I think he is incredibly arrogant.

Two seasons ago when we were losing to *probably someone shite, I can't remember* Calderwood made a ridiculous substitution at home to move to one of his 2-4-4 formations, or something like it, Anderson was going absolutely nuts.  Unusual for someone who never really appeared to shout a lot, but perhaps it shows that up to a point the team was being 'managed' and directed by Anderson.

I seem to recall that half that season and all the ones before and after it, Scott Severin would spend half the game mooching about argueing with referees and breathing out of his arse, during which time we were effectively down to 10 men.  He doesn't concentrate and he sulks, hardly a Captain.

The combination of an idiot manager and now a team with no leadership is really hurting us.  Our team are scared, they look paniced all the time and that is the fault of the managment. 

Take the point that Calderwood has more often than not brought in shite players, but I honestly believe if we had a strongly motivating manager with a bit more of a clue, and tweaked the starting 11 a bit, we would do a LOT better.

You can do well in this league with an organised team, but we don't even have that, no one knows what they should be doing.  That again, is a management issue.

Make fucking Zander Diamond the Captain.  Seve sulks and Jamie Smith is a mouse.

perhaps it shows that up to a point the team was being 'managed' and directed by Anderson.

Of all the stupid f*cking things I've read on this forum, this has to top the lot.  So now Captain Marvel was managing the team, as well as single-handedly pulling the team through week in, week out?  One of the daftest thing I've ever heard.  ;D

On the whole, we improved as a team last year AFTER our manager departed for Sunderland.  Can anyone explain that?

We're only 7 games into the new season, and have 3 wins, 3 defeats and 1 draw.  For a relatively new first 11, this isn't strange.