Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

What needs to change?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Poor start to the season, again. 

Should we give the team more time to bed in or is it a case of the same old problems that have always been present with Calderwood now being magnified by the poor summer signings to replace the loss of our best players? And if things should change, what or who should it be?

Despite the underlying problems at Pittodrie running alot deeper I am beginning to think it is time JC's position was under serious consideration.

Manager

Pros: Proven track record.  League and cup results improved steadily since he arrived. Still early in the season with many changes from last season. Signings of Mulgrew and Aluko.  Who would do better?

Cons: Inept tactical decisions, poor signings, terrible quality of football, poor entertainment, inability to motivate team, constant stream of pish to the press. Who would do worse?

Players

Pros: Young team. Good mix of skill and endeavour.  Proven records at other SPL or Championship teams.  Have done well last few years.  Still early in the season and need time to gel.

Cons: Not enough effort.  Lack of basic skills. Failed repeatedly to show required level of ability. Time for others/youngsters to get a chance

Director of Football

Pros: He's Willie Miller. Signing of Aluko

Cons: What the fuck does he do? Merely a deflection shield for Milne. Fallen into the trap of blaming fans for all the the clubs ills

Stewart Milne

Pros: Gives club the financial security it needs.  Club finances improving year on year.  Plans for new stadium.  Provided more cash to the manager than most SPL chairman (see Hibs)

Cons: Created the massive debt in the first place. Lacks ambition. Presided over the least successful period in afc's history since the war.  Appointed Miller so he could disappear into the background. Impending disaster in 2011 when we have no new stadium and have millions worth of interest to pay off

The Fans

Pros: Backed the team through thick but mainly thin for 15yrs.  Pump thousands into afc.  Will come out in numbers when there is something to entice them in (uefa cup, cup semis)

Cons: Too quick to moan. Deserted in droves over the last 2 years despite relative success. Unrealistic exceptions (sic)

There are things that need to change right now, like players playing in their right positions and playing football rather than punting balls up to the head of Miller.

However the manager is too stubborn to change things IMO. His backroom mafia are not exactly doing much for instance Clark's striking coaching is doing well  ::) The only person in the management team/coaches I like is Jimmy Nichol, who when he is in charge we seem to play decent football.

Indeed what does Willie Miller do, but what would the point of letting him go as he does nothing - what would that change?

We would all like a chairman who could splash the cash and provide leadership, but I cant see anyone knocking down the door to but the club from Milne.

The fans need to change their attitude? Fuck off, we are not prozac fed jambos!

Things will get better? Well they cant much worse that it is just now, hang on we are off to Celtic Park next weekend........cant really see us getting much form that game.

IMO there is a lot that needs to change from the board down to the fans.

Board- They are in one of the richest cities in europe and need to attract a big investor.

Milne and Donald should both release a bit of control and maybe someone with

bit of money and new ideas would come in. Finally they should be more open with

the fans and tell them whats going on (ie whats happened with the extra money

we gained last season).

Manager- Done well to get us in to a fairly steady position but think he has done all he is

of. Hes not a motivator and i think a poor man manager. Its his team now with

mostly his players that he wanted. Poor tactics, decisions and statements. To

keen to blame everyone else, should accept some of the blame himself.

Team- Need to learn the basics. Communication skills lacking and that its an easier game

if you have the ball. Some of them should get tested for colour blindness.

Also that there is a middle of the park and that they can use it. Finally get a bit

of passion for the jersey.

Fans- We have a right to expect some success but maybe we are to expectant. Push for

europe every season some cup finals yes, but thats all.

Im not usually this negative but im getting pushed to that point.

Could we have an 'All Of The Above' option?

Why we can't just play a bit of football is beyond me.

It's early doors in the season and yet our players play like they are a few games from relegation. Panicked clearances, hurried punts up to the front players (whoever they happen to be that day), tired looking tackling, no real certainty of what their exact position is and no cutting edge whatsoever. No soul, no grit, no balls.

I am generally pleased with JC's tenure as Don's boss, but am getting to the stage where I am just constantly bewildered by the very obvious lack of leadership both on and off the park.

Apparently the players are nervous because we get on their backs?! Fucking diddums. Am I wrong or are they earning 4 figures a week to appear in public playing football? Cannae handle getting booed? Fuck off! A real player would suck those boos in and give the best performance he'd ever given in order to silence them. Not go greetin' to the manager or the press about the fans being mean to them. Poor souls.

We need to win a few on the bounce really quickly, but it's hard to see where those results are coming from. I will be amazed if Celtic don't give us a real doing. Although it wouldn't suprise me too much to see the same players play well and win/draw or lose unluckily* there, then go back home and play just as badly as against ICT, Hamilton and Dundee Utd and have to suffer through our 'terrifying abuse' again. I've a strange feeling we might just do Killie in the Cup, but then it's that kind of optimism with no evidence that keeps most of us sucked in anyway!

I am at a loss as to what the solution is. At the moment it looks like watching a load of old shite week in week out, or giving football a bye for at least a few weeks - until we improve, or hit rock-bottom and something changes. If we don't improve soon, I'm going to find myself falling into the Jimmy Must Go camp, and I don't really wanna have to do that; as I have absolutely no clue who we would go for instead.

It's starting to spoil my weekends!

*Think I pretty much covered all the bases score-wise there.  :P

The Fans

Pros: Backed the team through thick but mainly thin for 15yrs.  Pump thousands into afc.  Will come out in numbers when there is something to entice them in (uefa cup, cup semis)

Cons: Too quick to moan. Deserted in droves over the last 2 years despite relative success. Unrealistic exceptions (sic)

The fans that are deserting the club are like most of us, all they want is a decent standard of football with players who put their all into every game & are able to have the basic skills to control a ball and pass it to one of their own team mates. There have been precious few entertaining games under JC's stewardship. Yes, we don't get beat by 6 or 7 any more, but with the standard of players in the current squad we should expect more attacking football than we have been seeing over the past couple of seasons. As for unrealistic expectations,I don't think expecting to see your team attack the opposition with a bit of flair in home games is unrealistic! That is the least any supporter, no matter who they support, should be entitled to .

The fans that are deserting the club are like most of us, all they want is a decent standard of football with players who put their all into every game & are able to have the basic skills to control a ball and pass it to one of their own team mates. There have been precious few entertaining games under JC's stewardship. Yes, we don't get beat by 6 or 7 any more, but with the standard of players in the current squad we should expect more attacking football than we have been seeing over the past couple of seasons. As for unrealistic expectations,I don't think expecting to see your team attack the opposition with a bit of flair in home games is unrealistic! That is the least any supporter, no matter who they support, should be entitled to .

sic adverb a term used in brackets after a word or phrase in a quotation to indicate that it is quoted accurately, even if it appears to be a mistake.

Manager - his time is up. His 'stabilizing' the team coincided with other clubs cutting back on the cash and not paying for players in my opinion. His 'success' is consistent with the decline of other teams. All clubs bar the old firm are on an even playing field now and JC/Aberdeen are simply not good enough. Poor team, poor product on the park, many poor signings. I gave him 3 years to implement his style/methodology/build a team, and we are very poor under his current leadership. Time for new blood.

Players - managers signings, many not good enough. I say that in relation to players on other teams with same/similar budget. There are better players/better performances by many other players/teams.

Director of Football - hard to say, I honestly don't know what WM does??

Stewart Milne - got the club into this financial mess, what is he doing to get us out of it? While he has stablized the losses, we are not improving financially.

Fans - I don't think we have unrealistic expectations like many say. I feel top 3/4 in the league, aiming for a cup final, spot in Europe etc. is very realistic.

Manager - his time is up. His 'stabilizing' the team coincided with other clubs cutting back on the cash and not paying for players in my opinion. His 'success' is consistent with the decline of other teams. All clubs bar the old firm are on an even playing field now and JC/Aberdeen are simply not good enough. Poor team, poor product on the park, many poor signings. I gave him 3 years to implement his style/methodology/build a team, and we are very poor under his current leadership. Time for new blood.

Players - managers signings, many not good enough. I say that in relation to players on other teams with same/similar budget. There are better players/better performances by many other players/teams.

Director of Football - hard to say, I honestly don't know what WM does??

Stewart Milne - got the club into this financial mess, what is he doing to get us out of it? While he has stablized the losses, we are not improving financially.

Fans - I don't think we have unrealistic expectations like many say. I feel top 3/4 in the league, aiming for a cup final, spot in Europe etc. is very realistic.

You must see Aberdeen play all the time Orlandodon.  ;)

right now it's got to be the fans.  3 or 4 games short of being a classic season, last season shows that the management knows what it's doing in the main.  Yes it's a shocking start to the season at home but only a win away from 3rd place and 5 points from 2nd place hearts means that there is a long long way to go.

The defence looks more comfortable than last season.  we simply aren't performing up front yet.  I'm not overly bothered yet as we do have a new midfield.  Calderwood's team have never been quick starters, yet usually come together.  Patience is what is needed.

Manager - I voted this one. I think JC has ran out of ideas. He might've been able to use the excuse of "the team are still trying to gel". But that's what a pre-season is for. They had six matches before the season started to try their luck against a variety of teams ranging from amateur non-league Dutch sides to the current European champions. To now be four home matches without a win is diabolical, especially considering Inverness had NEVER won at Pittodrie, Hamilton hadn't won here in something like 57 years, and United were winless and bottom of the league. That should've been nine points. Instead, the only home point we get so far is against the current league-toppers! WTF?! That's not down to lack of skill. That is down to lack of leadership, lack of motivation and, more importantly, players being played out of position. There's only one man who is responsible for all the above ... Jimmy Calderwood. Time to go. Time to give someone else (like Jimmy Nicholl) a chance to show what he can do with what is, in all honesty, one of the better squads in the current SPL.

Players - I think the players are good, with the obvious few exceptions.

Director of Football - For being "Director Of Football" I really don't know what he does. He was a magnificent player in his days. But, as Harry Ramsden's proved, success on the park does not automatically follow you when you hang up your boots. To be perfectly honest, Director Of Football / Chief Executive / Whatever Else Name it is given has never really had someone competent in the seat since Dave Cormack. Dave was the only one who really saw what the fans wanted and tried to structure the club's direction around the desires of those very fans. His only problem was Milne spotted his part in the Cummings Consortium and ... faster than you can say Nigel Pepper's been sent off? ... Dave was fired, err I mean sent packing, err I mean he found a sick granny in America to look after.

Stewart Milne - yes, he is the common factor in all of our embarassments over the past 15 years. He has allowed managers to spend ridiculous amounts of cash that the club did not have. However, when we've had golden opportunities to reap the rewards of what was a glorious youth system (for example), he has failed to use his financial prowess to capitalise financially. But, despite being the cause of all our financial difficulties, he is the only thing keeping the administrators from Pittodrie's door.

Fans Opinions - many of us still have fond memories of the glorious 80s ... the glorious European nights, the regular whippings we used to dish out to BOTH sides of the Old Firm (not that I remember Celtic being any good in the 80s anyway). I've heard so many pundits hark on about how we are all living in the 80s and setting standards that are too high for the Dons to ever reach. I'm sorry, but maybe one cup in seventeen years is good enough for Killie, Hearts or shit like that. But I expect a club of Aberdeen's stature to be in semi-finals EVERY YEAR, and lifting at least one cup every four or five years. That, I say, is realistic. Regrettably the Aberdeen teams of the past decade-and-a-half have fallen woefully short of anything near that target. Not good enough for this fanbase ... which is why we only managed 11,000 fans against our biggest east coast rivals. Wasn't that long ago we attracted at least 3000 more than that to a game against United. I don't blame the fans at all for that. I blame all the options above us in this poll

I'm sorry, but I just cannot understand the "no-one would buy the club" argument.

Anyone with any business sense could see that one of these "fat-harry's" from around the world could buy AFC, and with investment the size of that Man City will spend on one player in January, could prob. get into the champions league on a regular basis.

You only have to outspend the old firm to secure a champions league qualifier - that's a far more attractive proposition than trying to make Man City or Pompey, et al break the top 4 in England.

Might not be the fashionable league, but you could certainly make your mark on europe.

I think we struggle to find investment because Scottish football is sadly a second rate league at present. The Premiership is the best league in the world, Spain, Italy, Germany..... where exactly do we come in? The EPL clubs make so much TV money, the glamourous games etc., attracts the best players in the world, as do the big European leagues.

I don't think you'll find someone willing to pay Milne at least 15 million to buy the club and get it debt free, then have to build a stadium. That's a huge initial investment and how does the club rake back those millions. I don't know how much profit the Old Firm make (Rangers are debt ridden, I think Celtic make 3-4 million profit a year and that is with a 60,000 stadium.)

I just don't see how a major investor sees Aberdeen as a good financial decision at present. Very sad, but maybe true???

I'm sorry, but I just cannot understand the "no-one would buy the club" argument.

Anyone with any business sense could see that one of these "fat-harry's" from around the world could buy AFC, and with investment the size of that Man City will spend on one player in January, could prob. get into the champions league on a regular basis.

You only have to outspend the old firm to secure a champions league qualifier - that's a far more attractive proposition than trying to make Man City or Pompey, et al break the top 4 in England.

Might not be the fashionable league, but you could certainly make your mark on europe.

Is that not what Romanov was going to do?

Aberdeen FC simply doesn't have the supporter base to get investment to even a fraction of the degree you are talking about.  On top of that we are faced with the OF who will occupy the top2 places 9 times out of 10, regardless.

In any case I wouldn't want some faceless foreign millionaire to come and use afc as his play thing for a few years until he gets bored.  Although afc is a small club in european terms we are a big enough club in Scottish terms to believe that if we are run well we should be challenging for europe and cups every year.  No doubt this is an unrealistic expectation on my part, but if the club really don't share these ambitions then the gradual drift of support away from Pittodrie will turn into a tidal wave.

It probably is time for a change of management, but I still hope Calderwood turns it round and turns it round quickly.

Every season there is a section of the support (much bigger this year) who are very disgruntled, but somehow JC has managed to turn it round in the past.

Massive game tomorrow night, we could really do with good cup runs this year.

Looking at the SPL fixtures, Calderwood needs to try and take at least 7 points from October's 3 fixtures and then I'll be much happier.

I personally would give him until the end of this year.  If we're still struggling come December then a new manager has the January transfer window to try and make some changes.  Although it is my belief that we do have some quite decent players but not they are not performing, whether its the tactics or the fact that some of them have signed extensions to their contracts (not naming any names Lee Miller).

Jimmys major problem is his inability to build any rapport with the aberdeen fans which stems from his handling of the local press and his constant slagging of the fans and the players in the press. Its to late to fix that and he will be gone once the club go on a sustained bad run of form.Miller and Milne should be looking at the crowds this season because its looking worse than last season and the only option they have is to replace the manager (or give him money to buy some quality but that aint going to happen).

Calderwood must go!!

I am sick and tired off his inability to motivate the players for games and his tactical knowledge is something to be desired. Our cup record is terrible, we got beat in 2 semi finals last season were Calderwood tactics and his inability to beat Dundee Utd and QOS was enough to get any other manager sacked. Credit to him regarding our recent league positions but the question to be asked is why every season to we start so badly - just think where we could have finished???

Transfer record - Why do we have all these players on trial then sign a few off them and not play them if they are not good enough we should surely being looking to the youth set up, even if they are just for cover.

Calderwood's mates in weegie press must sitting laughing at us, because they are keeping him in a job at our expense!!

Milne - I dont know what he brings to Aberdeen Football Club, but until someone else will step up to the plate, unfortuntaley we are stuck with him. He should have left when Cummings was interested.

Fans - Yes sometimes we do live in the past because the standard we are watching just now is the pits, we can see alot off the players aren't making an effort but Calderwood can't!!

It probably is time for a change of management, but I still hope Calderwood turns it round and turns it round quickly.

Every season there is a section of the support (much bigger this year) who are very disgruntled, but somehow JC has managed to turn it round in the past.

Massive game tomorrow night, we could really do with good cup runs this year.

Looking at the SPL fixtures, Calderwood needs to try and take at least 7 points from October's 3 fixtures and then I'll be much happier.

I personally would give him until the end of this year.  If we're still struggling come December then a new manager has the January transfer window to try and make some changes.  Although it is my belief that we do have some quite decent players but not they are not performing, whether its the tactics or the fact that some of them have signed extensions to their contracts (not naming any names Lee Miller).

Yep i find it hard to argue with any of that.  Its to early to be booting him out of the door though the relegation-esque home form is providing a lot of ammunition for the pointed guns.  We started really poorly last season, remember having similar conversations this time last year, so on the positive side we know calderwood can handle it though negatively why is it happening again?  I reckon JC will turn results around though he will never have the full backing of the support.  Sooner or later we are going to have to replace the manager but lets hope its because he gets poached by a championship side rather than sacking him.

Sooner or later we are going to have to replace the manager but lets hope its because he gets poached by a championship side rather than sacking him.

There's an interesting point... when was the last time an AFC manager was poached.... Fergie? All sackings since then.

Guess that speaks volumes..

I think we struggle to find investment because Scottish football is sadly a second rate league at present. The Premiership is the best league in the world, Spain, Italy, Germany..... where exactly do we come in? The EPL clubs make so much TV money, the glamourous games etc., attracts the best players in the world, as do the big European leagues.

I don't think you'll find someone willing to pay Milne at least 15 million to buy the club and get it debt free, then have to build a stadium. That's a huge initial investment and how does the club rake back those millions. I don't know how much profit the Old Firm make (Rangers are debt ridden, I think Celtic make 3-4 million profit a year and that is with a 60,000 stadium.)

I just don't see how a major investor sees Aberdeen as a good financial decision at present. Very sad, but maybe true???

I don't see that the big investors in English football just now are trying to make a profit, so I don't think the fact that it's not a great financial decision affects the argument.