Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Motherwell v Aberdeen

_44926614_motherwell_aberdeen.gif

Motherwell are still without defender Brian McLean, who is recovering from a serious knee injury.

Darren Smith is pushing for a start following last Saturday's 3-2 defeat by Hearts at Tynecastle.

Derek Young and Zander Diamond came through a reserve game unscathed, so Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood has a fully-fit squad.

Recent signing Tommy Wright could make his debut up front after playing against Inverness's second string.

Getting quite excited about the game (its my first of the season) but Im not expecting any fine football - but a result would be good!

Since abody else seems tae be deid!

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/789360

Jimmy: Show me Eur good enough

‘Prove to me you want Europe’

By Charlie 'Fat Cunt' Allan

Published: 15/08/2008

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today challenged his men to prove they are serious about getting back into Europe.

Calderwood believes victory over Motherwell at Fir Park tomorrow would show they are capable of finishing third in the SPL and qualifying for next season’s UEFA Cup.

The Steelmen stole that slot last season – and helped their cause by beating the Dons three times and drawing the other of their four league meetings.

Calderwood, who looks set to leave new signing Tommy Wright on the bench but recall Zander Diamond, warned his players they will have to sort that out if they want to finish ahead of Mark McGhee’s side this time around.

Calderwood said: “If we want to make Europe we can’t afford to lose as many points to one of our main challengers again.

“They took 10 out of 12 points from the meetings last season and it cost us third spot in the end.

“We have to turn that around.â€

The Dons are also desperate to bounce back from last weekend’s 2-0 home defeat by Inverness Caley Thistle, which sparked an angry reaction from the Aberdeen fans.

Calderwood said: “The jeers from the Aberdeen fans were an eye opener for some of the new lads.

“I told them it’s a sign of the high expectations at our club.

“I also told them the Dons fans are brilliant when we are winning.

“It’s up to the players to earn some cheers this time. I’m confident they will.â€

Darren Mackie is expected to get the nod to start ahead of Wright, who still is not fully match fit.

Diamond is also set for a recall after being listed as a substitute for the Caley Thistle game.

Dons legend and Evening Express columnist Joe Harper criticised Calderwood for that, but the Dons boss insisted it was the right decision.

“I saw what Joe wrote and everyone is entitled to their opinion,†he said.

“Zander hadn't played enough games to merit being picked ahead of Andrew Considine and Scott Severin, who were in good form in Holland.

“It wouldn’t have been fair to drop one of them in favour of Zander.

“The goals in the Caley game weren’t just down to the defence either.

“We lost the ball in a bad position for the first and the other was a breakaway, when we had pushed everyone up in search of the equaliser.â€

Calderwood’s main complaint was the quality of service to the front men and they have worked hard on that in training.

“We’ve been urging them to stay calm and not try to force things too much,†he said.

“We have too many good players for them to start launching long balls up front all of the time.

“We work on passing football all of the time in training and they do well.

“They have to show they can do it under pressure.â€

The Dons have no fresh injury problems.

Right, I'm really not the type to have a pop at this manager, but statements like this worry me:

“We work on passing football all of the time in training and they do well.

“They have to show they can do it under pressure.â€

The players were obviously not sharp on Saturday and very low on confidence, showing how they got easily bullied by a supposedly inferior team.  This tells me that the slick passing style they adopt in training comes with not enough pressure being put on the players, ie closing down etc.  Which brings me to another thing - closing down was bad on Saturday - refer to goal#1.

I'm beginning to wonder about the standard of coaching our boys are getting to get such basic things wrong on a Saturday.

Fingers crossed they turn it around tomorrow though, I'm sure they will, because if there's one thing the Motherwell team have, it's sharp, hungry players.  It's one thing us having better talented individuals, but all that talent means nothing if they're not match-sharp.

Guest swaddon

I'd be very surprised if we got anything in tomorrow's game. We'll need to hope that United get another hammering in order to get off the bottom of the SPL.

Supporters Information

Would Aberdeen supporters please note they will be located in the usual stand at Fir Park. However they will be housed in the Upper Section.

Admission Prices Fir Park(Away Section)

Adults £22

Concessions OAP/ Students £15

Under 16 £12

Adult + Under 16 £28

Supporters Information

Would Aberdeen supporters please note they will be located in the usual stand at Fir Park. However they will be housed in the Upper Section.

Adults £22

Under 16 £12

Adult + Under 16 £28

upper section!!!

GTF

I fucking hate fir park.  If we had got a result last week we might have needed both sections but not now.  They have put us in the top deck before but usually midweek when it is chucking it down...why this week?  Ach well atleast we'll have the loon running about the roof of the "No Smoking" stand after errant Foster clearances to keep us entertained. 

upper section!!!

GTF

I fucking hate fir park.  If we had got a result last week we might have needed both sections but not now.  They have put us in the top deck before but usually midweek when it is chucking it down...why this week?  Ach well atleast we'll have the loon running about the roof of the "No Smoking" stand after errant Foster clearances to keep us entertained. 

£22!!!!!!!!!!!

oh aye AND £22

Fucking diddy clubs fleecing us big clubs to keep them alive.........

It's £21 to get into the away section at Pittodrie.  I'd say in comparison £22 for the away end at Fir Park isn't too bad.

£21 and £22 are fucking scandalous prices to be charging for a game of kickball played by guys a quarter of the ability of the guys 20 years ago had when it was a sixth of the price to get in!!!

It's at moments like this I realise I'm turning into my dad.

Really wish I could go, unfortunately tomorrow happens to be pretty much the only day this week I'm busy.

I think Aberdeen will win the game, but I'm always over-confident, before the match last Saturday I predicted a 4-0 win.

Come on Aberdeen! Let me be proved right at least once in this site!

Guest leith_red

Supporters Information

Adults £22

Under 16 £12

Adult + Under 16 £28

Stuart Duff has asked for that so that no-one can offer him beer!

Guest swaddon

From the BBC's text commentary:

1621: It's all Motherwell at Fir Park, but they can't make the breakthrough. The Dons look lethargic. Less Dandy, more donkey.

>:(