Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Inverness game - Best Aberdeen Player Poll

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mackie, he came on, caused alot fo trouble, could/should have scored atleast once and tried to create from nothing.

Only Mulgrew comes close for the players that started, badly exposed by smith which is a shame as mulgrew can be a great play for us.

Diamond coming on brought a confidence to the defence we were lacking previously, however, the tango man went for three in defence after that.  Mackie did make an impact, as did  Young actually, but the fact remains they didnt find the net.

Mulgrew for me I think, a half decent perfomance when everyoe else around him let him down.

Miller, one of the few players to play as you would expect him to.

In the first half he did what was expected, winning all but one of the balls lumped up to him and linking up play reasonable well, but he was pretty anonymous on the second half.

Would like to see how Mulgrew gets on with some cover in front of him.

Mackie missed two glaring opportunities which any striker deserving of that label would have buried. Far too many people in the AFC support confuse energy with talent when it comes to Mackie.

And too many people confuse 'jumping up and letting the ball skim off your head' as good enough to earn you a best player award.

Miller's flick-ons are about as effective as Seve's long throws and although it's not his fault players are firing high balls at him, you've got to ask where he is during the dozen or more corners we won at the weekend?

No doubt someone will say that "Mackie/Maguire isn't good enough to read his flick-ons" but even if that is the case then he should be trying something else.

Did he even have a shot on goal on Saturday?

And too many people confuse 'jumping up and letting the ball skim off your head' as good enough to earn you a best player award.

Miller's flick-ons are about as effective as Seve's long throws and although it's not his fault players are firing high balls at him, you've got to ask where he is during the dozen or more corners we won at the weekend?

No doubt someone will say that "Mackie/Maguire isn't good enough to read his flick-ons" but even if that is the case then he should be trying something else.

Did he even have a shot on goal on Saturday?

I agree that Miller's contribution wasn't the best. However, if he had been presented with the chances that Mackie had, I doubt he would have missed the target completely with both. I also think JC uses Miller's height as a justification for his eye-gougingly unpleasant long-ball tactics. He is the focal point of our attack, and the fact that he has to produce so many flick-ons is a direct consequence of the way JC wants the team to attack. However, when he did get the ball on the deck, Miller was guilty of over-playing and trying to beat too many men from a standing start on more than one occasion.

Miller's performance on Saturday also reminded me a lot of the way Stevie Crawford used to have to drop deep and help the midfield do their job. Kerr and MacDonald were so hesitant and deep-lying that even Smith and Maguire/de Visscher were having to come inside to close down the space they should have been covering, and Miller was having to do likewise.

That to me says far more about the quality of our midfield than the quality of our strikers.