Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Billy Dodds

Career scoring stats, couldnt have been that bad if he has a better games per goal then the list of 'legends' below.

Hans Gillhaus - Played 365 Scored 148 GPG = 2.4

Billy Dodds - Played 547 Scored 192 GPG = 2.83

Charlie Nic - Played 448 Scored 143 GPG = 2.9

Duncan Shearer - Played 210 Scored 70 GPG = 3.00

Mixu - Played 518 Scored 143 GPG = 3.6

Scott Booth - Played 329 Scored 82 GPG = 4.01

Eion Jess - Played 565 Scored 107 GPG = 5.2

Stoney where did you get that list? It looks like mathematical gibberish to me! I know statistics can be used to prove anything, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but from this list eoin jess played MORE games than billy dodds and scored LESS goals, but has a GPG twice as much? Someone somewhere can't work a calculator at all!

Surely Jess's 107 goals over 565 games equals a GPG of 0.19 (107 goals/565 games), while Dodds was 192 goals over 547 games which would be 0.35 i.e. almost twice as prolific as Eoin (who i still rate more highly BTW). Further proof that statistics are akin to lies, damn lies and statistics.

Stoney where did you get that list? It looks like mathematical gibberish to me! I know statistics can be used to prove anything, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but from this list eoin jess played MORE games than billy dodds and scored LESS goals, but has a GPG twice as much? Someone somewhere can't work a calculator at all!

Surely Jess's 107 goals over 565 games equals a GPG of 0.19 (107 goals/565 games), while Dodds was 192 goals over 547 games which would be 0.35 i.e. almost twice as prolific as Eoin (who i still rate more highly BTW). Further proof that statistics are akin to lies, damn lies and statistics.

Which only a fraction of were for Aberdeen.

Actually, I remember, it was the thread where Stoney said, I can't remember the exact percentage, that a vast majority of Aberdeen fans would have him in their Aberdeen 11 from the past 15/20 years.  Or something like that.  I just remember it was daft as f*ck and I giggled my arse off reading it.

:lolabove:

Don't know why BB. Seems pretty reasoned and unaffected by alcohol. ;)

makes a change!  ;D

[quote author=??? link=topic=5493.msg78679#msg78679 date=1218196634]

Actually, I remember, it was the thread where Stoney said, I can't remember the exact percentage, that a vast majority of Aberdeen fans would have him in their Aberdeen 11 from the past 15/20 years.  Or something like that.  I just remember it was daft as f*ck and I giggled my arse off reading it.

:lolabove:

95% of Dons fans would pick him ahead of any of the other players he listed with his "STAT ATTACK!"

Which also just goes to show that 92% of all stats are made up on the spot.

Billy Dodds, Billy Dodds, Billy Billy Dodds. He gets the ball, he scores a goal, Billy Billy Dodds!!

Ye ken, there's another, more accurate version of that song.  ;)

I'm with Bobby on this one.  Dodds was the Mackie of his day, albeit he was maybe slightly better.  No denying he got better when he left us, but he was poor value in an Aberdeen team that underachieved.

I remember seeing him score 5 in a pre-season friendly at Peterhead in 1992 (for Dundee of course) and thinking "this guy's some player".  When it got round to seeing him week in, week out, my opinion changed.

Ye ken, there's another, more accurate version of that song.  ;)

I'm with Bobby on this one.  Dodds was the Mackie of his day, albeit he was maybe slightly better.  No denying he got better when he left us, but he was poor value in an Aberdeen team that underachieved.

I remember seeing him score 5 in a pre-season friendly at Peterhead in 1992 (for Dundee of course) and thinking "this guy's some player".  When it got round to seeing him week in, week out, my opinion changed.

Let's hear it then  ;D

Let's hear it then  ;D

He gets the ball and does fuck all, Billy, Billy Dodds.

Anyway, how can anyone take him seriously when he carries about a miniature sized Eugene Dadi on his shoulder?

_44901455_billydoddsbetter126.jpg

Surprised nobody has brought up the old debate about whether getting rid of Dodds and cash for Winters was a good deal.

The figures involved are unbelievable now adays but I remember thinking at the time "thank god we've replaced that headless chicken with one of the best young players in scotland".......