Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

What will make a successful season?

Although I'd love to have some success in the means of silverware, I think first and foremost we need to keep putting money in the bank like last season.

Be that through selling players, gaining entry to Europe, a high placed league finish, winning silverware, long runs in the cups or tv money.

The bigger picture is; we're still skint if we achieve a flash in the pan victory or two at Hampden and although a trophey in the cabinet would be great, I don't think it's the most important thing.

Look at Hearts for instance, they lifted a cup and we're all still laughing at them.  Even more than before in fact.

There was a report on the Dons prospects on Sky Sports website and it basically says JC has to win a trophy this season. Do you agree?

We don't have to, no, but I am desperate for a Cup Final appearance and I think we are good enough to do it.

Would qualifying for Europe suffice?

Fourth place gets UEFA Cup this season, so that should be a minimum target.

Is there a chance of splitting the Old Firm?

Barry Ferguson wont play for Rangers in 2008 and we see how weak they are without him and Cuellar, so I would say most definitely.  A team that incorporates Dailly, Broadfoot & Papac (and an ageing David Weir) is definitely beatable.  I don't recall Bougherra being any great shakes either so I am absolutely convinced that if we can avoid injuries, we can be better than Rangers.

On top of the performance targets, I'm expecting big things of Peter Pawlett this year and I expect Michael Paton and Stuart Smith to be aiming to grab their chances if and when they come along.  Paton in particular should be breathing down Mackie's neck.

I am very optimistic about our prospects for the new season.

Maybe not win a trophy but for me a cup final is a must.  Last time was 2000 and that is too long ago.  I think we are going to have a pretty decent season truth be told and if the hun keep on being so woeful then we may keep up with them.  

A succesfull season for me is

Cup final

top 3 finish

I agree with bloo, we need to see the younger boys like paton pushing for places.  I dunno why cos i've not seen him play but i've got this gut feeling that sammy stewart is going to be a big player for us in the future.  

Another one for you all:

Calderwood is second favourite to be sacked first this season, do you think those odds reflect reality?

Source?

As for a successful season.  4th place is the bare minimum.  I think we can get 3rd, and I'm also wondering if someone can split the Infirm as Rangers are going to struggle methinks.

Source?

As for a successful season.  4th place is the bare minimum.  I think we can get 3rd, and I'm also wondering if someone can split the Infirm as Rangers are going to struggle methinks.

Quoted in the Herald on Sunday. 7/2, second favourite only behind the new Hearts guy who is Evens.

Although I'd love to have some success in the means of silverware, I think first and foremost we need to keep putting money in the bank like last season.

Be that through selling players, gaining entry to Europe, a high placed league finish, winning silverware, long runs in the cups or tv money.

The bigger picture is; we're still skint if we achieve a flash in the pan victory or two at Hampden and although a trophey in the cabinet would be great, I don't think it's the most important thing.

Look at Hearts for instance, they lifted a cup and we're all still laughing at them.  Even more than before in fact.

Well said that man! We have to look at the big picture here. Whats the point of having a team that wins the Cup and then goes bust a few years down the line?

Qualifying for Europe and a trophy.

I agree with that. I'd love us to be able to push the Old farm but I can't really see it, not yet anyway. But Calderwood being second favourite for the sack seems crazy. As much as I dislike him and minus some crazy decisions, no-one can argue that he's doing a good job. Even Mizer.  :thumbsup:

JC is 15/2 third favourite behind Mixu 15/8 and Laszlo 3/1.

The odds on Walter have been slashed to 8/1 4th favourite.

Safest is Billy Reid at 40/1.

A bad start in the league and watch the odds cut even further on the treacherous auld cunt.

Would probably agree with Billy Reid being safest in the league, as not much sense of expectation upon him and his tema, although I fancy them to upset the odds on more than a few occassions this season.

Actually think Mixu might be the first to leave a managerial job, but reckon he'll do a Collins and walk away.

Back on subject though a successful season will involve us winning our first domestic treble :thumbsup: bit I'm nae staking good money on it ;)

If we dont have a 10 game winless streak like last season 3rd possiby 2nd is ours. If we are in second i go as far as we will be close 1st as Celtic and Rangers havent really improved their squads. A cup final appearance is essential, win would be nice preferably the Scottish Cup.

Guest swaddon

Notice a lot of folk just saying "a cup final". Surely it is all about winning the cup, not just being there on the big day? We're not Dundee United, for fucks sake!

Good point. I measure success in the captain lifting big silver cups, not appearing in a losing cup final or finishing in the top six.

TBH a cup win a top six would more than satisfy me, infact I'd be fucking delighted.

Europe but no cup win would be pretty damn good.

Europe and a cup win would be fucking amazing

Finishing above the huns and a cup win would be out of this world.

I suspect we'll be 4th or 5th and get knocked out in the semifinals, again.

As for the odds for JC to get the sack.  If he has a bad first couple of months (out the league cup and struggling in the league) he will be under serious pressure.  Otherwise not a chance he'll go anywhere

A successful season would be top 3 for me, pushing second place teams with a wins aginst the old firm up here and down there (especially against the huns) Also two decent cup runs again would be superb and hopefully getting to a final this time.