Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Sven Verdonck

Not good news, apparently (Source: Northsound) he's not coming on trial as JC hasn't heard from him in a while. We need a competent CB sooner rather than later.

Said it before and I'll say it again: I would be staggered and disappointed if JC and WM had not at least spoken to Steven Pressley about signing for us for the next year or two. He's exactly the kind of no-nonsense centre half we need until Scott Calderwood makes friends with another shite Dutch amateur defender who will be given the chance by JC to fill Anderson's boots.

Said it before and I'll say it again: I would be staggered and disappointed if JC and WM had not at least spoken to Steven Pressley about signing for us for the next year or two. He's exactly the kind of no-nonsense centre half we need until Scott Calderwood makes friends with another shite Dutch amateur defender who can try - and fail - to fill Anderson's shoes.

I hate this writing off of players before they've even played a game for us.  ::)

As for Pressley, he'll be 35 this year.  Its the equivalent of signing David Weir who is also way past his best.

No thanks.

Not good news, apparently (Source: Northsound) he's not coming on trial as JC hasn't heard from him in a while. We need a competent CB sooner rather than later.

Pardon the translation taken from another site:

To play for Scottish Aberdeen was something that speaks to me.  Happy I was playing for third place behind Celtic and the Rangers.  But I saw Rangers Glasgow pumped out yesterday of the cup of Europe by some posties from an old country in Russia and myself thought "Scottish Aberdeen have players that are not good enough to overtake a team with that tit Broad Kirkfoot in it".  So I washed down my moules frites with another bottle of Stella and though "na, fuck it!"

Pardon the translation taken from another site:

Quote from: Sven Verdonck

To play for Scottish Aberdeen was something that speaks to me.  Happy I was playing for third place behind Celtic and the Rangers.  But I saw Rangers Glasgow pumped out yesterday of the cup of Europe by some posties from an old country in Russia and myself thought "Scottish Aberdeen have players that are not good enough to overtake a team with that tit Broad Kirkfoot in it".  So I washed down my moules frites with another bottle of Stella and though "na, fuck it!"

:lolabove:

I hate this writing off of players before they've even played a game for us.  ::)

Show me where I said that, and then I'll acknowledge that your smug smiley is bang on.

Struggling?

::)

Name me one Dutch defender signed by JC who has come in and done a decent job for us.

And I don't mean the likes of Snoyl, who was a loan signing and already touted as a big thing for the future in Holland. I mean the kind of lower league detritus that we shouldn't even contemplate signing: Sven Baas, Dave Bus etc.

By the logic of your post, I shouldn't be written off as a signing for the Dons, despite the fact that I'm shite at football and one of my knees is fucked. I'm all for giving people a chance - so long as they tick the right boxes. Most of JC's trialists and signings from Holland are unquestionably shite, as their record indicated beforehand. This guy, on the other hand, looks to have a decent record and seems keen to play for us, so of course I'm not writing him off.

As for Pressley, he'll be 35 this year.  Its the equivalent of signing David Weir who is also way past his best.

No thanks.

Both Weir and Pressley may be way past their respective high-points, but they're still better than a) Seve or b) Considine at the back, which is all that really matters.

Again, going by your logic, you'd presumably turn your nose up at the likes of Cannavaro or Thuram.

Show me where I said that, and then I'll acknowledge that your smug smiley is bang on.

Struggling?

::)

Name me one Dutch defender signed by JC who has come in and done a decent job for us.

And I don't mean the likes of Snoyl, who was a loan signing and already touted as a big thing for the future in Holland. I mean the kind of lower league detritus that we shouldn't even contemplate signing: Sven Baas, Dave Bus etc.

By the logic of your post, I shouldn't be written off as a signing for the Dons, despite the fact that I'm shite at football and one of my knees is fucked. I'm all for giving people a chance - so long as they tick the right boxes. Most of JC's trialists and signings from Holland are unquestionably shite, as their record indicated beforehand. This guy, on the other hand, looks to have a decent record and seems keen to play for us, so of course I'm not writing him off.

Both Weir and Pressley may be way past their respective high-points, but they're still better than a) Seve or b) Considine at the back, which is all that really matters.

Again, going by your logic, you'd presumably turn your nose up at the likes of Cannavaro or Thuram.

Just as well he's Belgian then ;) He's playing in top flight of Belgium so I wouldn't hold him in the same breath as Dave Bus or anyone else. But I do agree that some of JC's Dutch signings haven't been the best and there is precedent for shiteness.

Just as well he's Belgian then ;) He's playing in top flight of Belgium so I wouldn't hold him in the same breath as Dave Bus or anyone else. But I do agree that some of JC's Dutch signings haven't been the best and there is precedent for shiteness.

I know; I wasn't talking about Verdonck, but rather about the conveyor belt of Dutch amateur shite sent over here by JC's equally clueless son.

:thumbsup:

Anyway, I think it's perfectly possible to pre-judge players on a footballing basis, if they've shown themselves to be consistently shite elsewhere (eg. Lee Mair). What I don't think is acceptable is judging a player's ability on the basis of something which they said entirely innocently, but which has been radically misinterpreted on some fans' forum.