Lovell in demand

And not just by Sneckie and Amy ;)

Three SPL clubs pursuing Lovell 

Lovell is availabe after leaving Aberdeen in the summer

Kilmarnock are one of three SPL clubs vying for striker Steve Lovell.

Hibernian and Falkirk are also keen on the player, who was released by Aberdeen at the end of last season.

Kilmarnock manager Jim Jefferies hopes to sign as many as three strikers after latest recruit Allan Russell suffered a knee injury.

"We hope to bring in a couple of strikers due to Allan's injury and one we were looking for before that anyway," Jefferies told BBC Sport.

Lovell, who signed for Aberdeen from Dundee for £250,000 in July 2005, was released by the Dons in the summer.

He joined Dundee in 2002, scoring 35 goals in 98 appearances, after failing to become a first-team regular with Portsmouth.

Kilmarnock are looking to bolster their attacking options after Russell, who moved from Airdrie United under freedom of contract, was injured during a pre-season tour of Italy.  Stefano Salvatore's shaped up very well and I may follow that up.

Kilmarnock had been interested in Linfield striker Peter Thompson, but the forward is closing in on a move to League One outfit Stockport County after the clubs agreed a fee.

Jefferies said he had watched Thompson in action for 20 minutes but had not been convinced by the striker's display.

"Other clubs are interested in him and I believe they've agreed a fee," said Jefferies. "Whether he goes depends on him agreeing personal terms.

"I didn't see enough of him to convince me. We wish him well and are looking at other options."

Jefferies added: "We've had talks with three players this morning and are looking to get a couple in. 

"Hopefully, I'll have a couple of strikers in for the pre-season friendlies against Wolves, Queen's Park Rangers and Coventry."

Meanwhile, former Auxerre striker Joel Thomas, who is on trial at Rugby Park, has suffered a hamstring injury.

"We've not really seen a lot of him," said Jefferies. "If we receive clearance, I may give him a run-out in some of the games we've got coming up.

"The other trialist, Stefano Salvatore, came down from Milan to let us have a look at him for a few days.

"He's shaped up very well and I may follow that up. But he's a midfielder and our priority just now is a striker."

Well, if he can get goals for some other team he'll be doing a fuckload more than he did for us.

Strikers that rarely score are ten a penny, and we've already got that with Maguire and Mackie.. no need to have Lovell inna.

Rated him when he signed, but he's done sweet fuck all.

Can't see us missing him.

The likes of Mair, Duff and Bossu need to follow him out the door.

Well, if he can get goals for some other team he'll be doing a fuckload more than he did for us.

Strikers that rarely score are ten a penny, and we've already got that with Maguire and Mackie.. no need to have Lovell inna.

Rated him when he signed, but he's done sweet fuck all.

Can't see us missing him.

The likes of Mair, Duff and Bossu need to follow him out the door.

Lovell is a far better player than Maguire and Mackie. When the ball was played to his feet he invariably scored. Sadly we just punted the ball at his head last year as we did not have the players capable of playing the ball to his feet. If he goes to Falkirk or Hibs who do have players capable of playing that way then this will bite us in the arse. 

Lovell is a far better player than Maguire and Mackie. When the ball was played to his feet he invariably scored. Sadly we just punted the ball at his head last year as we did not have the players capable of playing the ball to his feet. If he goes to Falkirk or Hibs who do have players capable of playing that way then this will bite us in the arse.   

I happen to agree that (bar Miller) Lovell was our best (most natural) striker.

However, in order to score goals you need to be on the field in the first place.

The return we got from Lovell in terms of goals and performances was utter garbage, hence no qualms about not carrying him any longer.

I know I'm in a minority, but I still think this is a bad bad move from us. He's lethal when he's given a chance. Easily the most clinical striker we have on our books BAR NONE! He's gonna haunt us BIG STYLE!!!!!!!

I think a lot of people would agree that he is a clinical striker which is what we need. But if the stupid fat bastard isn't going to play the guy, then they are as well clearing up some wages. I definitely wish he'd been given the chances some of the other numpties have been given.

I think a lot of people would agree that he is a clinical striker which is what we need. But if the stupid fat bastard isn't going to play the guy, then they are as well clearing up some wages. I definitely wish he'd been given the chances some of the other numpties have been given.

He was given plenty chances.

Anyone who saw some of his quite pitiful performances will be all to aware of that.

He did get injured a lot, he did get played in some formations that were hopeless for his style of play, he did score some vital goals but the truth is the transfer didn't work out. When given opportunities he played quite awful at times and missed some quite tragic sitters.

I'm gutted it didn't work out but that's just it, it didn't. Next. 

Anyone who saw some of his quite pitiful performances will be all to aware of that.

He did get injured a lot, he did get played in some formations that were hopeless for his style of play, he did score some vital goals but the truth is the transfer didn't work out. When given opportunities he played quite awful at times and missed some quite tragic sitters.

I'd agree with that. It really was a shame it didn't work out because he could have been a legend/cult hero at our club. Fingers crossed Tommy Wright will suit Calderwood's plans more. At least he looks like a fighter.  :thumbsup:

+1

Some of his performances were so lacklustre the paramedics were following him round with a stretcher.

I hope I'm not wrong, but I cannae see him coming back to haunt us.

Anyone who remembers him from his Dundee days will know that, with the right players around him, he WILL do damage. I fear that someone like Hibs or Falkirk will snap him up and he will really really punish us.

They said last night on the Hibs-Barca commentary that Hibs are close to signing him. Although they were playing Barca and concessions have to be made, Hibs looked manky.

Anyone who remembers him from his Dundee days will know that, with the right players around him, he WILL do damage. I fear that someone like Hibs or Falkirk will snap him up and he will really really punish us.

Ach, how much damage can one man realistically do? I don't imagine he'll sign for a team who we shouldn't be aiming to beat so as long as our TEAM plays better than his we'll be alright. Lovell isn't the type of player who's going to turn a middle of the road team into a good one all of a sudden, or even win games on his own.