Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

What do we need?

How many more transfers do folk reckon we need to be able to compete for 3rd and push for a cup?

I'd say a minimum of a CB, a striker and left sided midfielder.

Crying out for an experienced CB to play alongside Zander, JC is gambling on Seve slotting in, but an injury to him and we have to rely on the unpredictable Mair and Considine. No point making this the likes of the boy Cork fae Chelsea. Its gotta be a seasoned pro, somebody like Frazer Wright.

Having secured a left footed left back, a left sided player ala Aluko is a must, maybe Hammil fae Liverpool.

Finally a striker to replace Lovell. Doubt the guy Wright is right, would love us to take a gamble on Thompson fae Linfield. Needs to be capable of 10 goals a season to take the pressure aff Bebo.

I'd be quite happy with the squad then, dont see RB as much of a problem with Duff or Foster able to play there. A couple of loan signings to cover for injuries and we are laughing.

How many more transfers do folk reckon we need to be able to compete for 3rd and push for a cup?

Crying out for an experienced CB to play alongside Zander, JC is gambling on Seve slotting in, but an injury to him and we have to rely on the unpredictable Mair and Considine. No point making this the likes of the boy Cork fae Chelsea. Its gotta be a seasoned pro, somebody like Frazer Wright.

Having secured a left footed left back, a left sided player ala Aluko is a must, maybe Hammil fae Liverpool.

Finally a striker to replace Lovell. Doubt the guy Wright is right, would love us to take a gamble on Thompson fae Linfield. Needs to be capable of 10 goals a season to take the pressure aff Bebo.

I'd be quite happy with the squad then, dont see RB as much of a problem with Duff or Foster able to play there. A couple of loan signings to cover for injuries and we are laughing.

Can't see anyone arguing with that.

Left winger, striker and an experienced centre half would do the trick.

Foster to RB and we're sorted.

I'm not sure if Zander plays better when he is the "main" defender though.

We need at least 4 players just to get by next season, to get 3rd i think we need about 8 signings. and also the same luck we had last season.

Lets not forget if it wasnt for bebo's last minute goal at ICT we would have been 7th (even 8th as i dont think we would have won at hearts)

Times creeping by and todays paper saying that 1 trialist coming in. Not enough im afraid nowhere near it.

http://www.northsound2.com/Article.asp?id=236085&spid=25587

Northsound Sport believes Aberdeen are closing in on the signing of Darlington striker Tommy Wright for around £80,000. Jimmy Calderwood had demanded a resolution to the ongoing transfer within 48 hours and it now appears that the 23 year old will move to Pittodrie. The former England youth international looks set to undergo a medical with the Dons today before putting pen to paper.

centre back and striker for me and judging by northsounds report we are about to sign Tommy Wright

http://www.northsound1.com/Article.asp?id=236085&spid=25586

Lets not forget if it wasnt for bebo's last minute goal at ICT we would have been 7th (even 8th as i dont think we would have won at hearts)

Let's not forget if it wasn't for perfectly good goals being disallowed at Celtic Park and Fir Park we would have been 3rd and in Europe.

We need a right back, an experienced centre half and a left winger.  Smith to play up front.

Let's not forget if it wasn't for perfectly good goals being disallowed at Celtic Park and Fir Park we would have been 3rd and in Europe.

We need a right back, an experienced centre half and a left winger.  Smith to play up front.

And to remain fit.

We need at least 4 players just to get by next season, to get 3rd i think we need about 8 signings. and also the same luck we had last season.

Is this to go along with your constant posts on the hat about HAVING to replace guys who have left us but were never in any danger of getting a starting berth or even getting a game as a sub? 

But he did score it and we didn't finish 7th, so what's your point?  If John Hewitt never scored against Bayern we would never have won the ECWC... but he did, and we did.  What is the point in talking like that Stoney? You're talking about something that never happened and can never be changed. Give it up for fucks sake.

A bit mouthy at times which can get him intae trouble wi' the ref. But he has a crackin right-foot on him. He scored more goals vs Danish team Farum than Aberdeen did!

I bagged a few in the impromptu 5's tourney at the back of the Brondby social club so I think I must be worth a look also.

Is this to go along with your constant posts on the hat about HAVING to replace guys who have left us but were never in any danger of getting a starting berth or even getting a game as a sub? 

But he did score it and we didn't finish 7th, so what's your point?  If John Hewitt never scored against Bayern we would never have won the ECWC... but he did, and we did.  What is the point in talking like that Stoney? You're talking about something that never happened and can never be changed. Give it up for fucks sake.

Doesnt matter if they were in the position to start for the team or not they were still part of the squad and they all played a lot of games for us last season, you need a squad of 18 decent players to go through a season i would think. If you take our starting X1 out of the picture we dont have a lot of cover, and with JDV, Smith and Seve always likely to be injured at some point, you really need to sign cover.

That wasnt my point, my point was if results hadnt gone our way we could have been well down the league, 4th papered over a lot of cracks, cracks which still need to be filled as wallpaper only lasts for so long  :thumbsup:

I think we need a left winger and a centre back. In reality though I think we'll end up getting a striker and a CB but its all well and good getting a striker but we need someone who will create goals for them. We have a decent team, nothing special like but I think the players that have been brought in (generally) have been of the standard we all expected and want.

Doesnt matter if they were in the position to start for the team or not they were still part of the squad and they all played a lot of games for us last season, you need a squad of 18 decent players to go through a season i would think. If you take our starting X1 out of the picture we dont have a lot of cover, and with JDV, Smith and Seve always likely to be injured at some point, you really need to sign cover.

That wasnt my point, my point was if results hadnt gone our way we could have been well down the league, 4th papered over a lot of cracks, cracks which still need to be filled as wallpaper only lasts for so long  :thumbsup:

Not all the players you quoted on the hat weren't.

Hibs are a total shambles

Hearts have a new manager, no new players and no money

Motherwell surely won't reproduce the form that got them 3rd, especially if the share some our UEFA cup luck

United had their best season in years, yet finished behind us.

OK we have lost several players but almost all of them were bit part players.  I don't think anyone would disagree we could do with a few extra players (and we will sign a few before Aug 31st) but I can't see much from the rest of the league that has me panicking about the up coming season

Hibs are a total shambles

Hearts have a new manager, no new players and no money

Motherwell surely won't reproduce the form that got them 3rd, especially if the share some our UEFA cup luck

United had their best season in years, yet finished behind us.

OK we have lost several players but almost all of them were bit part players.  I don't think anyone would disagree we could do with a few extra players (and we will sign a few before Aug 31st) but I can't see much from the rest of the league that has me panicking about the up coming season

Hibs and Hearts will struggle this season. But I've been impressed with Uniteds signings and Motherwell seem to be doing some good business as well, with more signings to come. Think it will be between them two and us for 3rd.

Not all the players you quoted on the hat weren't.

Aluko Started16 Also came of the bench 9 or 10 times

Byrne Started 15 sub once i think

Lovell Started 10 and had over 15 sub appearnces

Maybury Started 18

Mcnamara Started 18 had a few subs as well

Nicolson Started 43

Touzani Started 11 also had 7 sub appearances

Walker started 6 8 sub appearances

havnt even bothered with the guys like bus etc who played a couple of games here and there, also left out souter as we replace him with another reserve keeper

But the guys above played a big part in our team last year, and these guys were deemed as squad players (i would say maybury/nicolson would be the only one in our first choice starting X1)

Aluko Started16 Also came of the bench 9 or 10 times

Byrne Started 15 sub once i think

Lovell Started 10 and had over 15 sub appearnces

Maybury Started 18

Mcnamara Started 18 had a few subs as well

Nicolson Started 43

Touzani Started 11 also had 7 sub appearances

Walker started 6 8 sub appearances

havnt even bothered with the guys like bus etc who played a couple of games here and there, also left out souter as we replace him with another reserve keeper

But the guys above played a big part in our team last year, and these guys were deemed as squad players (i would say maybury/nicolson would be the only one in our first choice starting X1)

Stoney said on the hat:

Well going by the teams round about us, United are stronger, as too are falkirk and hibs have a lot of kids that will have 1 years worth experiance and no doubt it will tell the only other team round about us yet to improve the team is hearts

Signed Goalkeepers 1 x Bertrand Bossu, goalkeeper (Walsall)

Defenders None

Midfielders 3 x Gary McDonald, midfielder (Oldham Athletic); Sammy Stewart, midfielder (Glenavon); Mark Kerr, midfielder (Dundee United)

Strikers None

Lost Goalkeepers 1 x Derek Soutar, goalkeeper

Defenders lost 6 x Jackie McNamara, defender (Falkirk);Dave Bus, defender; Richie Byrne, defender; Karim Touzani, defender (Sparta Rotterdam) Dan Smith, defender; Martin Skinner, defender (Peterhead);

Midfield 4 x Barry Nicholson, midfielder; Neil McVitie, midfielder (Peterhead); Sone Aluko Midfielder (Birmingham); Josh Walker Midfielder (Boro)

Strikers 3 x Steve Lovell, forward; ; Jon Smith, forward; Davie Ross, forward (Peterhead);

So our squad is down 10 players from last season!