Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mulgrew Signs

Mulgrew snubbed cash for Aberdeen

United pals helped seal the deal

By Andrew Moir

Published: 16/07/2008

CHARLIE Mulgrew rejected a more lucrative offer from Swindon Town to seal his Pittodrie switch

Dons chief Willie Miller acted quickly to land the former Celt on a two-year deal in a swift swoop for the left-back from Wolves.

The 22-year-old looked set to join Maurice Malpas at Swindon at the start of the month only to reject a £150,000 transfer.

But Robins boss Malpas tried to hijack Aberdeen’s move for Mulgrew who forced through his SPL return.

“I did have the chance to move to Swindon but it just wasn’t right for me or my family which is why I chose Aberdeen,†said Mulgrew.

“I’m excited by Jimmy Calderwood’s plans and I can’t wait to get started with my new club.

“Jimmy made me feel wanted and was always very positive throughout all the talks we had.â€

Miller only just completed the dramatic swoop as the Dons headed off to face Dundee at Dens Park in last night’s friendly which ended 0-0.

The Reds are believed to have paid a fee in the region of £50,000 for the defender, who still had 12 months left on his Wolves deal.

Mulgrew enjoyed a loan spell at Dundee United, and he revealed how Aberdeen’s growing contingent of Tannadice players helped to convince him to move to Pittodrie.

But the Scotland U21 cap was almost forced to admit defeat as Wolves were threatening to withhold his severance fee before thrashing out a deal

“I spoke to Mark Kerr, Lee Miller and Lee Mair before deciding to join Aberdeen,†he said.

“They all said good things about the club and the manager.

“That just helped to make up my mind about what I was doing.

“All three made me feel very welcome when I was on loan at Dundee United from Celtic.

“I’m sure they will help me to settle in at Aberdeen.â€

Mulgrew jetted north late yesterday afternoon to sign on with the Dons before returning to England in the evening.

He will now move north on Sunday before reporting for pre-season training the following day.

Calderwood, who is still tracking Darlington’s Tommy Wright, is delighted to have finally landed his man following a long chase all summer.

He said: “Charlie has played at a high level after representing the Scotland U21 side.

“But he’s lost his way recently after doing well on loan at Dundee United.

“We’ve been following his progress because left-back is hard to fill.

“Richard Foster has done well in that role but he’s not a natural left-back.â€

Meanwhile, Dons transfer target David McNamaee has joined Plymouth Argyle from Coventry City.

Calderwood had earmarked him as a potential replacement for Alan Maybury.

An authentic left back. Looked OK at United, works for me.

Don't remember seeing him play but all signs point to this being a positive signing.  And who knows, with Stuart Smith coming through we might even get some genuine competition for the left-back spot, and if Mulgrew can play left-mid we could get the beginnings a balanced side.  You've gotta love pre-season optimism.

Don't remember seeing him play but all signs point to this being a positive signing.  And who knows, with Stuart Smith coming through we might even get some genuine competition for the left-back spot, and if Mulgrew can play left-mid we could get the beginnings a balanced side.  You've gotta love pre-season optimism.

He's a good player who improves the standard. Nice.

and . . . .

“Richard Foster has done well in that role but he’s not a natural footballer in any way.â€