Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Adam Hammill - potential loan signing

With the size of our squad, I'd be happy with Mark Hammill. FFS, I think we're gonna need a few Jedi Mind Tricks to win enough of our games this season to get in the top four.

I dread to think what will happen should we pick up a couple of injuries!  Imagine if we lost Diamond/Miller to a long term injury?

I dread to think what will happen should we pick up a couple of injuries!  Imagine if we lost Diamond/Miller to a long term injury?

Been having the same concerns. It was threadbare last season, and its only got smaller. But there is still time, granted not long before the season, but I am really just trying to stay positive until the season starts.

Been having the same concerns. It was threadbare last season, and its only got smaller. But there is still time, granted not long before the season, but I am really just trying to stay positive until the season starts.

I think this is one of the main things that is pissing off myself and fellow dandies. Yes there is still time to get new players in, but we have had months and pre-season is now two weeks in. Whilst other clubs, most notably Dundee United have been bringing new and exciting players in, we have brought in a reserve keeper, a 17 yr old lad, and although the two midfielders look reasonable, there is nothing EXCITING about them - more importantly the United players are getting a pre-season under their belt and getting to know their team-mates Our guys are going to end up joining later, lower levels of fitness and are going to take longer to fit into the team. A good to start to a season is very important because it immediately takes the pressure off the management and players - a pity that no-one at AFC has worked this out yet.

We're Dooooooooooooooooooooooomed!!!!

I don't think so at all, but we just have a hell of a lot of work to do and its just frustrating as hell since 3rd place was easily there for the taking. If only we'd have reinvested in the team after losing critical players.

And D_D, I completely agree. I just wish the club would act sooner rather than later. Surely it makes sense, and as you say, it allows the team to gel during pre-season. I guess we've never had this and never will. As I said, i'm just trying to embrace this..."wait and see mentality", as much as I hate it as these is not much influence we can have :(

I think this is one of the main things that is pissing off myself and fellow dandies. Yes there is still time to get new players in, but we have had months and pre-season is now two weeks in. Whilst other clubs, most notably Dundee United have been bringing new and exciting players in, we have brought in a reserve keeper, a 17 yr old lad, and although the two midfielders look reasonable, there is nothing EXCITING about them - more importantly the United players are getting a pre-season under their belt and getting to know their team-mates Our guys are going to end up joining later, lower levels of fitness and are going to take longer to fit into the team. A good to start to a season is very important because it immediately takes the pressure off the management and players - a pity that no-one at AFC has worked this out yet.

Hypothetically speaking...

new and exciting doesn't guarantee results.

But it does considerably increase the chances of higher season ticket sales leading to higher financial stability for the club, and the more time they spend with their new team-mates, the more chance they have of making a positive impact.

It's the same every year.

We let a bunch of players go, a couple of first team regulars and a few fringe/reserve players.

we then bring in maybe one or two new players who may or, as is more like the case, may NOT be able replacements. Usually just journeymen.

We proceed to fanny around trying to sign other players who invariably go elsewhere for more money.

Then, with the season about to start, and having done the sum of fuck all to get in a decent player, we panic and buy any old shite and pretend it was our number one choice.

At the end of last season we were told (lied to) that we'd be getting in 8 - 10 new players to cover the departures.

No-one seriously believed that was going to happen, surely?

It's the same every year.

We let a bunch of players go, a couple of first team regulars and a few fringe/reserve players.

we then bring in maybe one or two new players who may or, as is more like the case, may NOT be able replacements. Usually just journeymen.

::)

Well I hope that it is the same again, and that we can yet again improve on the previous year's performance.  As we have done every year since JC has been in charge.

The year we finished 6th was in no way an improvement on his first season. The fact that we had some good results this season doesn't hide that we were absolutely dire at times, terrible defensively and finished lower in the league. How can you possibly suggest that is an improvement?

Brought in a fortune? 2 semi finals?

I'm in no way saying the actual football improved but there were improvements, you cannot say there weren't.

::)

Well I hope that it is the same again, and that we can yet again improve on the previous year's performance.  As we have done every year since JC has been in charge.

Not criticising Calderwood, I'm criticising the club.

Calderwood doesn't write the cheques or refuse to meet transfer demands.  That would be our board.

And regardless of Calderwood's success, the CLUB has displayed the same ineptitude over transfers for the last decade.

You need to read for content before you start with the rolling eyes, Sparky.

Calderwood doesn't write the cheques or refuse to meet transfer demands.  That would be our board.

And regardless of Calderwood's success, the CLUB has displayed the same ineptitude over transfers for the last decade.

I'd agree with that. Thing is though, we don't know how the club is being run or the transfer front is being run so its difficult to see who should foot the blame. But as you said, i'm inclined to say it lays at the feet of our board.

No he hasn't.

Yes he has, if you're just judging him on the basis of on-field performances, then you're a tonk.  And I don't even know what a tonk is.  But you are one.

Tonk.  :thumbsup:

The year we finished 6th was in no way an improvement on his first season. The fact that we had some good results this season doesn't hide that we were absolutely dire at times, terrible defensively and finished lower in the league. How can you possibly suggest that is an improvement?

:doh:  Again, are you another that judges on-field performances only, or do you look at the bigger picture?  Tonk.

2 semi-finals, last 32 of Europe, 4th in the league.

He brought in a fortune due to the cup runs and league placing, and that's not even taking into account the fact he still had to make cutbacks for the good of the club by selling his captain, and two of his regular picks in Hart and Clark.

A vast improvement on 3rd place and no cup runs in anyone's book.

Fair enough point.  :thumbsup:  What I was commenting against was your point that we'd be bringing in 8-10 players.  Calderwood did say this, and I'm sure he will bring in another few players, but I just think he gets a really hard time when the blame can't be placed directly at his feet.

Stop being such a miserable c*nt  all the time then :thumbsup:

::) ::)::) ::)::) ::)::) ::)::) ::)::)

We've sold more season tickets this season than last season, source - ticket office. Whether that's in total, or more than at this point last season, I'm not sure.

I'm surprised by that. But I would imagine t would have been at this point last year as surely the signing of Macnamara would have shifted a fair few.

I'm surprised by that. But I would imagine t would have been at this point last year as surely the signing of Macnamara would have shifted a fair few.

And I bet the sale of McNamara sold a fair few too...  ;)