YOUNG PLEADS FOR PATIENCE

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/05/SOCCER_Aberdeen.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership

Derek Young has urged frustrated Aberdeen fans to be patient as manager Jimmy Calderwood attempts to rebuild his squad for the new season.

Several first-team regulars left Pittodrie at the end of the last season, with only a few new signings checking in so far.

Midfielders Gary McDonald and Sammy Stewart and goalkeeper Bertrand Bossu have been recruited, with Mark Kerr's move set to be completed after a medical this coming week.

Young knows supporters may have been alarmed at the sight of regulars - such as Barry Nicholson, Steve Lovell and Jackie McNamara - quitting the Dons but the midfielder has backed Calderwood fill the void left in the dressing room.

Speaking on RedTV, he said: "You get a bit wary when you see that many boys leaving but we have been doing a lot of training and running and the boys are looking really good.

"The young boys who have come into the team are showing fantastic ability. The new signings are a boost and I think it's looking well for next season.

"The manager has shown that he's not going to buy just anybody for the sake of it, he is looking for quality players, and I think the fans will be happy with the signings we have made so far.

"They are maybe a wee bit frustrated there are not more in at the moment but it's a long summer. You see how it happens in England too, scrambling right up until the last minute.

"The boys in the changing room aren't daft - we know the manager will get players in.

"From the fans' point of view, they maybe want everything a bit too quickly but hopefully there will be quality signings coming in.

"I've got no doubts about that."

Guest swaddon
The young boys who have come into the team are showing fantastic ability.

Which young boys are these? Didn't we release all our youngsters in the close season?

Deary me, I acknowledge the fact that not many other teams have signed many players at all, but that doesn't mean we need to be patient. We knew for months that the majority of these guys were leaving and should have had things sorted out by now. Thing is i'm never sure if we have tried and are unlucky with our targets (optimistic hat) or we're lazy and wait around for the papers to tell us who to sign (pessimistic hat).

Deary me, I acknowledge the fact that not many other teams have signed many players at all, but that doesn't mean we need to be patient. We knew for months that the majority of these guys were leaving and should have had things sorted out by now. Thing is i'm never sure if we have tried and are unlucky with our targets (optimistic hat) or we're lazy and wait around for the papers to tell us who to sign (pessimistic hat).

Players will wait and see what offers they have before signing anything. We have little choice here.

Which young boys are these? Didn't we release all our youngsters in the close season?

I was hoping it was the lad Sammy Stewart, he was referring too. Maybe a youngster, at last, who won't spend his entire contract playing for the reserves before being released?

Alarmed at Jackie McNamara leaving? I was fucking delighted.

Was thinking the same thing.

Only thing that alarmed me about McNamara leaving was the length of time it took to happen.

Worst player ever to wear a Dons shirt?

I think so.

I'd disagree, he scored so that makes him better than Mcnamamamamamamara

No chance McNamara was worse than that imposter. McNamara at least played reasonably well in his first couple of games.

I'd also say Brian O'Neil was far, far worse, especially considering the amount of money we threw at it:hammer:

Guest ally s

No chance McNamara was worse than that imposter. McNamara at least played reasonably well in his first couple of games.

I'd also say Brian O'Neil was far, far worse, especially considering the amount of money we threw at it.   :hammer:

Did he??  I can't recall McNamara playing reasonably well.

How about Mark Perry?