Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Burton O'Brien

What does "proven SPL player" actually mean though?

He looked handy enough and I think he would do ok for us but I don't understand the idea of getting upset because Calderwood says he doesn't want to sign him.

Wouldn't say I'm upset about it like. Being upset would imply that I'm remotely surprised that we're turning down the chance of acquiring a decent player.

What does "proven SPL player" actually mean though?

A club could go out and sign a magnificent player. But if the style of football in the SPL just doesn't suit their style, they're nae exactly going to be at their best. For example, a player who prefers a bit of time on the ball to work some trickery and nice wee flicks and touches ain't gonna like the traditionally lightning-fast pace of the SPL. Let's face it, the SPL has never really been the best breeding ground for skill.

If a player has already played, and played to a reasonably successful level, in the SPL, it's gonna be less of a gamble for the club to sign him cos they already know he can cope with the physical demands of the league