Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Stats 1998 - 2008

3136ash.jpg

I have no idea what this means.

Well, its supposed to be the position we finished in each competition in that year.

e.g. if we were knocked out in the quarter finals in a cup, then I put in 8th place for reaching the last 8.

The stats making up the graph were:

Season     SPL Scottish Cup CIS Cup

1998-99   8 32               16

1999-00   10 2               2

2000-01   7 16               16

2001-02   4 8                 16

2002-03   8 16                 8

2003-04   11 8                 8

2004-05   4 8                 16

2005-06   6 16               8

2006-07   3 32                 32

2007-08   4 4                 4              (i.e. 4th place in league and two semi finals)

Your point is, caller?

Thank you for the effort you put in for creating those graphs. I appreciated it.

Here's another way of looking at our history. Imagine the last 15 years and the 15 years before that.

In the last 15, we got to 2 finals and won the League Cup in 1995.

In the 15 years before that, we won trophies under 4 different managers.

The younger fans have been erroneously led to believe that older AFC fans have unrealistic expectations. The business of football has changed beyond recognition from the era that included the previous decade and a half, but despite this, here's some new ones for you younger dandingtons.

1) The most exciting football finals we ever competed in, in purely football drama terms, were a consecutive hat trick of league Cup finals v. the hordes of darkness when we lost the first two (just), before the Mason show.

2) The best, most dominating and entertaining football I ever saw in red, was the run in to the 1990/91 season, fully FIVE years after Ferguson. Jess, Gilhaus, Bett, Robertson were incredibly good additions to the 3 man Rock defence that Fergie relied on. This was an incredibly talented squad.

3) Fergie isn't our only history. In my lifetime, 8 years is the maximum we've ever been without a trophy... until MILNE. We've always had some good players, and some good, ambitious and capable managers... until MILNE.

4) 11.5.1983 was a freak pinnacle. Those of us who were there appreciate this more than anyone. I even acknowledged this at the precise moment. But this freak moment of success shouldn't hang over us like a dinosaur, as an excuse to be fucking mediocre thereafter. It's all gone tits up.

Your point is, caller?

Thank you for the effort you put in for creating those graphs. I appreciated it.

Here's another way of looking at our history. Imagine the last 15 years and the 15 years before that.

The younger fans have been erroneously led to believe that older AFC fans have unrealistic expectations. The business of football has changed beyond recognition from the era that included the previous decade and a half, but despite this, here's some new ones for you younger dandingtons.

1) The most exciting football finals we ever competed in, in purely football drama terms, were a consecutive hat trick of league Cup finals v. the hordes of darkness when we lost the first two (just), before the Mason show.

2) The best, most dominating and entertaining football I ever saw in red, was the run in to the 1990/91 season, fully FIVE years after Ferguson. Jess, Gilhaus, Bett, Robertson were incredibly good additions to the 3 man Rock defence that Fergie relied on. This was an incredibly talented squad.

3) Fergie isn't our only history. In my lifetime, 8 years is the maximum we've ever been without a trophy... until MILNE. We've always had some good players, and some good, ambitious and capable managers... until MILNE.

4) 11.5.1983 was a freak pinnacle. Those of us who were there appreciate this more than anyone. I even acknowledged this at the precise moment. But this freak moment of success shouldn't hang over us like a dinosaur, as an excuse to be fucking mediocre thereafter. It's all gone tits up.

You were doing so well up to then as well. ;D

Your point is, caller?

I don't dwell on the past (my first game at Pittodrie was in the 70s), I look at now, and the future.  And I thought you did too...

The past of Aberdeen Football Club is irrelevant. Much as I enjoyed it, it's history.

???

My first line was asking you what your point was? I thanked you for your efforts, but as there was absolutely no reason given for looking at recent years history, or no opinion provided, I offered an alternative way of looking at it, by comparing the period in two segments, back to Ally McLeod's cup win.

I thought it might of been an interesting way of looking at it, for Aberdeen fans. It may even have provided some understanding why many Aberdeen fans are frustrated, and others have been getting progressively so.

Until 2008, I was completely unaware of such polarised divisions of opinion amongst our ranks. The pubs I drink in, the people I drink with and talk to, my friends and family, other shareholders I meet at the AGM's (that I bothered to attend) - we have varying opinions about certain players and the abilities or otherwise of the manager, but we all appear to have one common goal. Most of us believe the big picture points to a clear pattern.

Then I discovered these AFC websites. Either I was completely unaware of how good Milne has been for AFC plc, or I was mistaken as regards the value of the contribution of our Director of Football. These are in the people who need to be judged before comment on the manager becomes relevant.

Then I find, on tinternet, that some fans don't even consider that there is a problem at all. I have never heard these people voicing their opinion in the pubs, that everything is going progressively well under the current management.

Worst of all, some people on tinternet take offence to passionate views, without offering a structured, reasoned alternative.

Actually, thats not as sad as people expending energy in one-upmanship rather than the debates. To have spent much time trawling posts to find something from over a month ago, take it out of context, in some pathetic failed attempt to discredit an alternative view of our last 30 odd years of AFC history, in a thread that started with the presentation of a graphical view of recent history, without comment or opinion, is breathtaking. The motivation for spending time to do so is surely evidence of an internet mannie more concerened with his internet than with any debate about AFC.

You were doing so well up to then as well. ;D

What do you mean? If you fail to understand what I meant, then can I refer you to the comments from our Director of Football and our Manager. In the last 4 years, fairly regularly, and up until very recently, these two people hailed our success 25 years ago as the reasons why Aberdeen fans have unrealistic expectations in the present era. Some of us think WM and JC are talking shite, and some of us found these lines highly insulting.

As I said before, if negativity is the only currency you have to offer, on your infrequent visits to DT, take it back to where you do most of your posting. You obviously have zero to offer in terms of this debate, or any other as far as I can see. You may even enjoy getting off on delivering snidey and insulting comments on the internet, fully aware how the anonymity of the internet "protects" you. Makes you look like a feeble-minded dick imo. The hat awaits you.

Didn't we go damn close to repeating the "freak moment of success" the following season?

Didn't we go damn close to repeating the "freak moment of success" the following season?

Whatever you are alluding to, it was a moment in time that will most likely never be repeated. This is why it was a "freak" moment. As in time demarcation. In terms of merit, we thoroughly deserved it, and indeed did come close - semi's - of the European Cup. Nearly, coulda, shoulda, woulda. That time is gone.

Guest swaddon

Freak moment of success isn't really the right choice of phrase, Gothenburg was the culmination of at least five years of hard graft from Fergie, Teddy Scott, Archie Knox and the players.

I can now accept it isn't going to happen again unless someone pours hundreds of millions into the club, which is not going to happen, but calling it a freak is not right. Rangers' run to the UEFA Cup final this season was a freak, Gothenburg wasn't.

Freak moment of success isn't really the right choice of phrase, Gothenburg was the culmination of at least five years of hard graft from Fergie, Teddy Scott, Archie Knox and the players.

I can now accept it isn't going to happen again unless someone pours hundreds of millions into the club, which is not going to happen, but calling it a freak is not right. Rangers' run to the UEFA Cup final this season was a freak, Gothenburg wasn't.

Correct and we proved it by beating Hamburg in the super cup and then getting to the semi final of the same compition the following year unlike the tims and probably huns who will be back to normal getting knocked out early doors next year.

You may even enjoy getting off on delivering snidey and insulting comments on the internet, fully aware how the anonymity of the internet "protects" you. Makes you look like a feeble-minded dick imo.

Who are you?  :wave:

Guest fatshaft

FFS change the fucking record.

Why don't you just copy and paste the same thing in every topic  :hammer:

That's it, look for the negatives.

I could bore you just as much with the startling shocking results and statistics from Ebbe's tenature.

But I won't.

You could but non would be more shocking then getting beat by queen of the south  :thumbsup:

Statistics only proove what you want them to proove - the proof the pudding is calderwoods done a good job in steadying the ship but if we are to improve we need a new manager!

You could but non would be more shocking then getting beat by queen of the south  :thumbsup:

Statistics only proove what you want them to proove - the proof the pudding is calderwoods done a good job in steadying the ship but if we are to improve we need a new manager!

Good to see you're finally pulling your head out of your arse.

:thumbsup: