🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New deal delight for Dons star Duff

From: http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/654184

New deal delight for Dons star Duff

Duff is happy to stay

Published: 24/05/2008

NEW DEAL: Stuart Duff.

More Pictures

STUART Duff today revealed he’s pleased to be staying with the Dons.

Jimmy Calderwood has told the former Dundee United man he will be offered a long-term Pittodrie contract.

The 26-year-old has impressed since arriving in January and now forms an integral part of Calderwood’s plans for next season.

“I’ve spoken to the manager and he said he wants me to stay and that’s exactly what I wanted to hear,†said Duff.

“It’s positive news and I can’t see there being any problem with regard to signing a new deal.

“I’m not going to demand big bucks, I know what the going rate is.

“I’ve made no secret of the fact I want to stay with my hometown team.

“It was important I proved myself to the manager and I’m pleased with the way I finished the season.â€

Calderwood is also working hard to try to convince Alan Maybury to sign at Pittodrie.

The Republic of Ireland cap has been a hit since initially arriving on loan from Leicester City.

The former Hearts man is now a free agent as his contract has expired with the Foxes.

Maybury wants to remain with the Dons but wages could prove to be a stumbling block.

Calderwood has also offered giant French goalie Bertrand Bossu a contract after impressing on trial.

If Bossu accepts the terms he will battle it out with Jamie Langfield for the No1 spot following Derek Soutar’s departure.

The Dons boss is also keeping tabs on Dutch duo Iwan Redan and Zephaniah Davids who were on trial along with Bossu.

Former Motherwell forward Richie Foran is also on Calderwood’s radar.

He’s also expected to join the Reds for £50,000 from Southend United if he passes the medical.

Happy with this, he has been playing well and proved a few people wrong but still have some idiots that will not be happy if he is in the side, he won't be a starter every week and can play various positions which is handy when we ahve injuries, also think he best position if in midfield not defence and Calderwood realises this.

I think Maybury will accept anything we offer him because he seems to be enjoying his stay up here and his family like it up here aswell- come on Jimmy push the boat out if you want.

If we sign Foran i will be happy, we could do alot worse for £50k.

Im not sure we should 'push the noat out' for Maybury. Hes a decent player but not worth paying big wages for. If he accepts a normal wage then by all means we should keep him.

Yeah ok, maybe i went a bit far there but i do like Maybury, hasna been as good recently but he isna fully fit but lieks to get stuck in and battles away, i also think a wage of around £2k a week would be enough for him to stay.

Well done Duffer, you've deserved your deal and has certainly proved all of us wrong. Certainly been one of our better performers since we got into the top six. Good squad player.

Agree about Maybury, he's not a superstar. he's done a good job so far, but certainly doesn't deserve to be one our top earners but I hope to see him playing for Aberdeen next season.

He always looks really nervous when he has the ball. If he looked more confident I think people would think he is a better player.

I actually think there might be a good player in there somewhere... but your right, he looks like he's shiting himself every time he gets the ball.  Played in midfield, with a run of games, a reckon he could be an asset.

Another player who will run his heart out for 90 mins but wth very little ability. We all ready have plenty in that category and would rather our limited budget had been used to get in a player with a bit of skill. 

Exactly.

A squad player who's not particularly good at anything, fills an empty shirt and not a lot else.

Does nothing to improve the side.

If he's going to be a regular first team player then we're going to be weak in whatever department he's playing. 

We've got worse, but they've no business playing for us either.

I'd rather have Chris Clark in my team than Duff, ok he's turned out better than we thought he would but as kelt says he does nothing to improve the overall quality of the squad.  And as for putting a "good shot just past the post" against Rangers, any pro worth his salt would hit the target from there and at least make the keeper save it.

Good luck to the guy and of course he'll get my backing during games.  But let's not pretend this is anything other than the easy option for Aberdeen.  Average player no other club wanted, relatively low wages, easy peasy for Jimmy Calderwood who's probably in Majorca already instead of looking for players who will actually improve the dons.

It's going to be a long, slow Summer.  Especially at the Afc ticket office.

I'd rather have Chris Clark in my team than Duff, ok he's turned out better than we thought he would but as kelt says he does nothing to improve the overall quality of the squad.  And as for putting a "good shot just past the post" against Rangers, any pro worth his salt would hit the target from there and at least make the keeper save it.

Good luck to the guy and of course he'll get my backing during games.  But let's not pretend this is anything other than the easy option for Aberdeen.  Average player no other club wanted, relatively low wages, easy peasy for Jimmy Calderwood who's probably in Majorca already instead of looking for players who will actually improve the dons.

It's going to be a long, slow Summer.  Especially at the Afc ticket office.

Did you like Clark when he was in the team, out of interest?

It's another case of signing players who aren't bad instead of signing players who are good. He's a steady enough player, but he's not going to influence games. That's fine up to a point, but I'm worried that these types of players are going to soon outnumber the talented first name on the teamsheet types.

I'm worried we're going to end up with 20 squad players and the starting 11 each week is decided through a paper, scissors, stone round robin tournament every Friday afternoon.

Having said that, I'm far more comfortable signing Duff as a squad player than I am signing Foran as a first team player.

Having said that, I'm far more comfortable signing Duff as a squad player than I am signing Foran as a first team player.

Yeah, that's much more of a worrying prospect, though again, perhaps we should allow him the chance to play for us before we start wanting the likes of Clark back for good.

The Clark reference was just to highlight the dwindling quality level in our squad.  I wasn't too bothered when Clark was moved on (especially given the fee involved), but I was bothered by the fact he wasn't replaced by anyone of equal or better ability.  Sneckie, I possibly slated him on here occasionally but on the whole I thought he brought a lot of energy to the team, if I'd been Jimmy with the squad he had Clark would have been in my starting 11.

In the last year we've lost Anderson, Hart, Clark, and now Nicholson and Lovell.  That's half of a very good team.  Names like Duff and Foran show the level of ambition the club have.