Wilson, Young and Esson

If you think thats funny, try this...

McNamara can put Dons on road to recovery

‘GREAT PROFESSIONAL’ CAN HELP TEAM-MATES COPE WITH CUP DISAPPOINTMENT, SAYS CALDERWOOD

By Michael Gannon

Published: 16/04/2008

Resilient: Jackie McNamara is vital to Dons, says Calderwood

More Pictures

ABERDEEN manager Jimmy Calderwood believes Jackie McNamara has the strength of character to cope with personal criticism and help his team-mates deal with the anger of disillusioned supporters.

Calderwood and his squad have come under fire after last weekend’s Scottish Cup semi-final humiliation by Queen of the South.

Several players have been singled out for criticism, including former Celtic captain McNamara, who was booed when he was substituted on Saturday and further vilified for running straight up the tunnel rather than take his place in the dugout.

Calderwood believes the veteran defender’s vast experience in the game will be vital in helping others recover before Saturday’s SPL trip to Celtic Park.

He said: “I don’t think the mood at the club has lightened yet.

“What happened on Saturday is not something you get over quickly.

“This week we will have to lift the players, but sometimes as a manager you need to be lifted as well, which can be difficult.

“You are always going to get people criticising certain players or managers, but the players are big enough to handle it. They accept the praise when things are going well and, while I have not seen all of the criticism, it is part and parcel of the game and you have to take it when it comes.

“The players have got to help each other. Jackie McNamara has massive experience which helps.

“He has had a great career, but he has also had some huge disappointments.

“He had some massive lows in his time at Celtic and the bad injury he suffered at Wolves was another disappointment for him but he came through it because he is a great professional.

“You don’t have to worry about these types of players. Defeat and the criticism which comes with it hurts them, but there is a determination to come through it.

“It is all about character and you learn things the hard way.

“We cannot run away from the fact we deserved stick for the game.

“We know we let ourselves and people down on Saturday, and it will take a long time to get over it.

“But we have a hard game to prepare for on Saturday against Celtic and time will tell if it will be a good one for us.â€

Guest ally s

Hmmm.  Why was Esson released before?  Wilson is gash imo and Young is struggling in the 1st division.

The Wilson and Young story has been doing the rounds for ages, we can do better surely?

We can do better, but we won't. The fact we've been linked with these muppets for so long says it all really. What a joke. Young was part of the worst Aberdeen team, the fact we took his brother back infuriated me. Granted he's done ok, and I expect nothing less from a squad player. But we're going to go backwards with players like this. Please let this be a joke AFC.

I hope beyond all hope, that this is just a slow news day and the EE are just speculating and there is no base to this at all.

However, it would not surprise me one jot if Calderwood went for these clowns... all I can say is that if Miller and Milne are in anyway worried about season ticket sales for next season, they'd do well to advise JC NOT to sign those three.

Guest bloo_toon_red

To be honest.  I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't sign Esson, given he's been seen at Pittodrie most weeks since January.  The links with the other players wont go away, so it's not much of a revelation.

It's the lack of any scouting system that baffles me.  For example, Dundee Utd have picked up the likes of Gomis, Swanson and Conway from the lower leagues and they've done a decent job in the SPL.  Similarly Motherwell picked up a couple of gems in the summer with Porter and Hughes.  Make your own mind up whether or not they are Aberdeen-class, but the league table doesn't lie.

Now who is responsible for this lack of scouting?  I'd suggest it's the Director of Football's job as opposed to the manager's?

Can't believe this! The first two posts I read in this thread have seen a seething pain shoot up my arm! I'd rather inject ink into my eyeball than read those two posts again!!

Darren Young, Ryan Esson, Scott Wilson AND Jackie McNamara???? Does Jimmy actually want any fans to follow the Dons next season???? If this is the caliber of players he's looking at, he might as well leave right now. I'd rather have Jim Jeffries' bumchum club of players playing for us than JC's lot. At least there's a few decent players in Jeffries chummy squad.

Darren Young????  :hammer:

RYAN ESSON ????????:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I might have to find something else to do with my spare time than following the Dons. Hell, I'd rather watch cricket than follow a team that has Ryan Esson AND Darren Young in it.

Now who is responsible for this lack of scouting?  I'd suggest it's the Director of Football's job as opposed to the manager's?

As I've said here before, Miller set up contacts in Eastern Europe in the hope we'd get quality players rather cheaply. Calderwood doesn't want to know. The fact is, he's a lazy manager when it comes to signing players, if it's not in front of his nose (or his son's), he's not interested.

I would rather see some young player plucked from the Scottish lower leagues given a chance at Pittodrie instead of Esson returning.

As some have already said, if these are the signings we can look forward to then I firmly believe they will have a struggle on their hands when it comes to ST renewal.

It's the lack of any scouting system that baffles me.  For example, Dundee Utd have picked up the likes of Gomis, Swanson and Conway from the lower leagues and they've done a decent job in the SPL.  Similarly Motherwell picked up a couple of gems in the summer with Porter and Hughes.  Make your own mind up whether or not they are Aberdeen-class, but the league table doesn't lie.

Couldn't agree more.  Hughes wasn't exactly an unknown quantity in Scotland and if I can look in a newspaper and see that Chris Porter was scoring goals for fun in League 1 last season then surely someone at the club must be capable of seeing the same information and saying "worth a look?".  The whole scouting network seems to be shambolic (to say the least), but what do we expect from a club that signs youth players based on their physical size at age 14 instead of their ability?

but what do we expect from a club that signs youth players based on their physical size at age 14 instead of their ability?

Despite this policy, when is the last time we saw a player come through that wasn't an absolute weaking? Even Diamond gets bullied by players half his size.

I would rather see some young player plucked from the Scottish lower leagues given a chance at Pittodrie instead of Esson returning.

As some have already said, if these are the signings we can look forward to then I firmly believe they will have a struggle on their hands when it comes to ST renewal.

If this is the quality we may have a struggle to remain in the SPL.

Couldn't agree more.  Hughes wasn't exactly an unknown quantity in Scotland and if I can look in a newspaper and see that Chris Porter was scoring goals for fun in League 1 last season then surely someone at the club must be capable of seeing the same information and saying "worth a look?".  The whole scouting network seems to be shambolic (to say the least), but what do we expect from a club that signs youth players based on their physical size at age 14 instead of their ability?

Pretty sure we do not having a scouting network as JC told the club to get rid when he first came in so he could use the money saved to bring in our striking coach and he JN and the striking coach would do all the scouting. Also JC said that he had a massive net work of contacts (friends with Martin Jol and Arsene Wenger don't you know) which would allow us to pick up players.

As for signing any of these three they would all be yet another backward step.

This is all a bit worrying.  Like I've said before, without some big name signings and due to the disappointing end to this campaign, season ticket sales will be well down.  We've got enough dross in the squad already with Duff, Mair, Young (to name but a few).

The AFC Board need to deliver this time...