Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs st mirren

That was worse than the Killie game. Worst of the season so far. Once again, as predicted, Shinnie and McGrath in front of Clarkson, playing to Shinnie's weakest attributes again and being surprised when he plays badly. lt hasn't worked yet this season Barry, it will not work, for fucking obvious reasons. McGarry and Duk to be fired into the north sea tonight hopefully. I made the point after the Livingston that moving to that stupid 4-3-3 shit wouldn't work against a better team because we're too open at the back, and it's no surprise that we got easily picked off. 

Robson has shown he's not a great manager, completely unable to change strategy, but we've also got to be clear that we've got a lot of dross in that squad. We keep hearing that the manager has been backed, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Spending a shit load on foreign crap in a single window isn't backing a manager, it needs three to four windows of solid improvement. I'm saying that because the directors of the club need to be held to account at some point and we can't have them claiming that they've done their bit just by throwing money around. Three rookie managers in a row with inadequate backroom support, and some very weird influence in regards to young players and their contracts (Barron and previously Duncan). If we're going inexperience, then we need experience in staff (director of football, or whatever). Robson clearly isn't answerable to anyone that has a clue about fitba and neither was Goodwin before.

2 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

....and 'we'll come good'...but no indication of how. 

Laboured,predictable build up,non existant midfield,shaky defence.Few things there he could look at...

Thing is though, we very easily could come good. It's a shite County team next with an absolute weirdo in charge of them, and then the winter break. If we sign a midfielder in the window capable of doing the Ramadani role, then there's reason to suggest that his one tactic could begin to work and we go on a run. We'll still be left with a guy who doesn't seem to understand the basics of football however, and we'll just be delaying the inevitable. 

14 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Thing is though, we very easily could come good. It's a shite County team next with an absolute weirdo in charge of them, and then the winter break. If we sign a midfielder in the window capable of doing the Ramadani role, then there's reason to suggest that his one tactic could begin to work and we go on a run. We'll still be left with a guy who doesn't seem to understand the basics of football however, and we'll just be delaying the inevitable. 

Any recommendations for Ramadani replacement.Think Id drop Gartenmann for McDonald to talk Rubezic through games,whose decision making and passing today was poor

Where to begin with that. Abysmal performance against a team that had won once in 10. McGarry is shite. Whoever signed off on paying a fee for him is hopefully no longer employed by the club. Completely useless and no idea how to play football. How many times do we need to be overrun in midfield before Robson changes it. Barron has to start going forward but he won’t. Subs as usual made us worse.Robson should be gone tonight but he won’t. County could get ugly with a pissed up crowd and another bad performance. 

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

That was worse than the Killie game. Worst of the season so far. Once again, as predicted, Shinnie and McGrath in front of Clarkson, playing to Shinnie's weakest attributes again and being surprised when he plays badly. lt hasn't worked yet this season Barry, it will not work, for fucking obvious reasons. McGarry and Duk to be fired into the north sea tonight hopefully. I made the point after the Livingston that moving to that stupid 4-3-3 shit wouldn't work against a better team because we're too open at the back, and it's no surprise that we got easily picked off. 

Robson has shown he's not a great manager, completely unable to change strategy, but we've also got to be clear that we've got a lot of dross in that squad. We keep hearing that the manager has been backed, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Spending a shit load on foreign crap in a single window isn't backing a manager, it needs three to four windows of solid improvement. I'm saying that because the directors of the club need to be held to account at some point and we can't have them claiming that they've done their bit just by throwing money around. Three rookie managers in a row with inadequate backroom support, and some very weird influence in regards to young players and their contracts (Barron and previously Duncan). If we're going inexperience, then we need experience in staff (director of football, or whatever). Robson clearly isn't answerable to anyone that has a clue about fitba and neither was Goodwin before.

We’ve debated this before, how can you say the manager has/has not been backed? The club/board/DC have spent to put a squad together, and I think it’s irrelevant who the manager is. I don’t think our coach identifies and signs player, others do that I believe. I don’t think you can say they haven’t backed the manager in transfers, they put together the best squad they could to make him successful. It’s also been many less loans, they spent money for robson’s squad. They’ve also surrounded him with experience in Steve Agnew, plus have Steven Gunn, and you could even throw in Liam Fox given to Robson for a bit.

i think there are huge questions, obviously Robson is not the guy in my eyes, said that for pretty much a year now but gave him a chance and even earlier in the season argued to give him time. He’s not good enough, today there’s no excuse, we were rested, have better players, yet were shit and our coach failed to fix anything during the game…..yet again. Many times this year plenty have questions robsons tactics, game management including subbing, we need an experienced guy not only to coach but to rebuild our squad. People say we were decent in Europe but I see Europe as underachieving, what if we’d had a better coach who made better decisions?

i don’t think robson’s our guy but the bigger issue is Gunn and those at the club who are responsible for signings, players and coaching staff. The last few years haven’t been good enough. We’ve failed with a quality coach to replace mcinnes. But we’ve also failed to rebuild a squad, too many loans and many more misses than hits when it comes to signings. We’re a mess right now and while we do need to give a manager a few windows, do you trust Robson, Gunn etc? I don’t.

40 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

We’ve debated this before, how can you say the manager has/has not been backed? The club/board/DC have spent to put a squad together, and I think it’s irrelevant who the manager is. I don’t think our coach identifies and signs player, others do that I believe. I don’t think you can say they haven’t backed the manager in transfers, they put together the best squad they could to make him successful. It’s also been many less loans, they spent money for robson’s squad. They’ve also surrounded him with experience in Steve Agnew, plus have Steven Gunn, and you could even throw in Liam Fox given to Robson for a bit.

i think there are huge questions, obviously Robson is not the guy in my eyes, said that for pretty much a year now but gave him a chance and even earlier in the season argued to give him time. He’s not good enough, today there’s no excuse, we were rested, have better players, yet were shit and our coach failed to fix anything during the game…..yet again. Many times this year plenty have questions robsons tactics, game management including subbing, we need an experienced guy not only to coach but to rebuild our squad. People say we were decent in Europe but I see Europe as underachieving, what if we’d had a better coach who made better decisions?

i don’t think robson’s our guy but the bigger issue is Gunn and those at the club who are responsible for signings, players and coaching staff. The last few years haven’t been good enough. We’ve failed with a quality coach to replace mcinnes. But we’ve also failed to rebuild a squad, too many loans and many more misses than hits when it comes to signings. We’re a mess right now and while we do need to give a manager a few windows, do you trust Robson, Gunn etc? I don’t.

I think you've just answered your own question! There's absolutely no way on earth that Robson is being held to account for his tactics, even in the form of a devil's advocate, by anyone at the club. That's not good enough. I don't know, or care, whether it's Gunn or anybody else's job, but someone has to assist the inexperienced guy during his period of failure. Surely this was the whole strategy, hence Glass, Goodwin and now Robson? We get an inexperienced coach with some good attributes (Robson seems fairly decent at motivating a team), and then give them the support to build on the others. They haven't done that. In order to back a manager, you have to, and you have to have a plan and a strategy and you have to give him more than one window, and especially not just one window with a massive turnover of players and a hit and hope signing policy from across Europe (a bit harsh, I know!). 

But I'm not saying the above for the benefit of Robson. I'm saying it because I said it for Glass, to a lesser extent Goodwin and now the same problem occurs with Robson, so I'm making this point for the next guy we get in. Robson has to be held to account for his own obvious failings, and I point them out every week. However, the club have to take a huge portion of the blame for the failure and if they don't, it's just going to continue to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Then there's reason to suggest that his one tactic could begin to work and we go on a run. 

Unfortunately his one tactic turned out to be "trust in luck" (against DU Fletcher missed 4/5 fairly easy chances and against St. J we should have been 1 down before Consi was sent off so that worked well) and then Duk was suddenly on fire, Clarkson was strutting his stuff and Shinnie was a real driving force  Unfortunately none of those 4 (including luck) have turned up this season - Duk is looking like a less effective Sam Cosgrove, Shinnie (as you often intimate) is running around like a headless chicken because he's playing in the wrong role,  and Clarkson can take a good dead-ball kick but can't often pass to the guy in the red shirt standing 10-15 yds (aul mannies term) from him.  We've got a really good centre-forward who is being run into the ground chasing long balls launched hopefully in his direction - he's a striker like Joe Harper..in the penalty area, with a smidgen of goal he'll score (ie the 2 against Livi) because his movement is excellent but Robson asks him to chase about after hopeful balls down the channel or compete with guys 4/5 inches taller than him.  I really wanted Robson to succeed but he's shown himself to be too much like Goodwin - my tactics are right and even when all the evidence is showing me that I'm wrong, I'll continue doing it because it'll eventually come OK and I'll be proved right - and as obstinate (Baron not being picked because he's not signed a new contract (I'm assuming that's the reason)...just cutting your nose off etc). 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I think you've just answered your own question! There's absolutely no way on earth that Robson is being held to account for his tactics, even in the form of a devil's advocate, by anyone at the club. That's not good enough. I don't know, or care, whether it's Gunn or anybody else's job, but someone has to assist the inexperienced guy during his period of failure. Surely this was the whole strategy, hence Glass, Goodwin and now Robson? We get an inexperienced coach with some good attributes (Robson seems fairly decent at motivating a team), and then give them the support to build on the others. They haven't done that. In order to back a manager, you have to, and you have to have a plan and a strategy and you have to give him more than one window, and especially not just one window with a massive turnover of players and a hit and hope signing policy from across Europe (a bit harsh, I know!). 

But I'm not saying the above for the benefit of Robson. I'm saying it because I said it for Glass, to a lesser extent Goodwin and now the same problem occurs with Robson, so I'm making this point for the next guy we get in. Robson has to be held to account for his own obvious failings, and I point them out every week. However, the club have to take a huge portion of the blame for the failure and if they don't, it's just going to continue to happen.

You’re saying someone has to assist, which I assume is where you call for support. My point is that the assist/support is clearly there in Gunn, Agnew, fox/leven etc, even Jordan miles maybe? I think we need a serious look at the whole thing. Robson isn’t good enough, everyone sees that. I don’t see a young creative astute coach, I see a blunt instrument, not someone who inspires attacking free flowing football. I’d have given glass longer than I’d give Robson. I don’t know if providing a quality team around robson is enough, we are a club that expects more from a manager. I’m questioning the ability of those around him, and the mess that’s been created. I like cormack, it’s just becoming more apparent to me that those in place, Robson, Gunn for 2 to begin with, aren’t our required level.

not sure where Jordan miles fits in but our recruitment seems a lot more miss than hit and who answers for that?? Harsh to judge him since the summer work was mostly done before he got here.

4 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Any recommendations for Ramadani replacement.Think Id drop Gartenmann for McDonald to talk Rubezic through games,whose decision making and passing today was poor

I actually thought today that ruby would be better in the DMC role as he is capable of winning and distributing the ball.

14 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

My point is that the assist/support is clearly there in Gunn, Agnew, fox/leven etc, even Jordan miles maybe

Yeh I think the board, understandably, felt that Agnew coming in was the big help their inexperienced manager needed.

I don't really criticise the board much here.

They gave him three months in an interim role, Robson smashed it out of the park. At the Hearts game (probably the best performance under Robson) fans were chanting his name, making it clear to the board who they wanted.

The transfer funds were made available. We tried to sign all the successes of last season - Shinnie, Clarkson, MacDonald, Scales and Pollock. We got three out of five.

They maybe always had the mind to give him to January, which was fair enough too. 

But we've won five league games, which is relegation form. It's not a small blip, it's been the whole season. The run to the cup final was as unimpressive as I can ever remember, and the final performance itself was poor too.

Europe - we did okay, but at the same time I don't remember a top performance there either. We were shite for long spells home and away v Helsinki and blew a lead v PAOK.

The tactics are woeful. The subs have little thought behind them. The style of play is hard viewing. The long ball football is just lazy, like it's too much hard work to work on a more effective style.

The team selections seem very much like he's just picking his mates. 

He was worth a shot. Coaching experience, experienced assistant, and I actually still believe he's a better manager than Goodwin. But it's time now for a change. 

28 minutes ago, Panda said:

Yeh I think the board, understandably, felt that Agnew coming in was the big help their inexperienced manager needed.

I don't really criticise the board much here.

They gave him three months in an interim role, Robson smashed it out of the park. At the Hearts game (probably the best performance under Robson) fans were chanting his name, making it clear to the board who they wanted.

The transfer funds were made available. We tried to sign all the successes of last season - Shinnie, Clarkson, MacDonald, Scales and Pollock. We got three out of five.

They maybe always had the mind to give him to January, which was fair enough too. 

But we've won five league games, which is relegation form. It's not a small blip, it's been the whole season. The run to the cup final was as unimpressive as I can ever remember, and the final performance itself was poor too.

Europe - we did okay, but at the same time I don't remember a top performance there either. We were shite for long spells home and away v Helsinki and blew a lead v PAOK.

The tactics are woeful. The subs have little thought behind them. The style of play is hard viewing. The long ball football is just lazy, like it's too much hard work to work on a more effective style.

The team selections seem very much like he's just picking his mates. 

He was worth a shot. Coaching experience, experienced assistant, and I actually still believe he's a better manager than Goodwin. But it's time now for a change. 

I think you’re being fair. For the most part we’ve been consistently shite, I don’t recall a game where we’ve played well, maybe the Motherwell game even though we lost two late goals to win 4-2? I cannot think of many at all. Our style of play is brutal and consistently unsuccessful, hard to justify giving Robson time when there’s absolutely nothing to say we do well at. We’ve not been unlucky, injuries haven’t ravaged us, we’ve just been piss poor and nothing suggests that will change. While it was great to reach the cup final, we didn’t play well In one single game. I said I’d have given glass more time, even Goodwin had us decent up until a bad January run with the two old firm losses hurting him badly. Don’t want another sacking but it’s hard not to see past that.

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

I said I’d have given glass more time, even Goodwin had us decent up until a bad January run with the two old firm losses hurting him badly. Don’t want another sacking but it’s hard not to see past that.

I wanted Glass to stay too. That's not to say he wasn't making mistakes - he didn't have the players to play how he wanted, however you have to adapt when that's the case. I also think he gave Scott Brown too much power - when Brown was fit, he played, and he played in central midfield and roamed where he wanted because he was Scott Brown, and Glass was never gonna reign in his mate.

However, he was trying to play possession football, he was pretty attacking and aggressive against the Old Firm, his substitutions generally worked well which showed he was reading the game well, and given a few transfer windows he could have shaped the squad nicely, while Scott Brown naturally would have retired into the dugout.

Since then Goodwin and Robson have been a downgrade, and we're back to where we were when we decided McInnes had to go. Just bored shitless with the same old guff every week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

You’re saying someone has to assist, which I assume is where you call for support. My point is that the assist/support is clearly there in Gunn, Agnew, fox/leven etc, even Jordan miles maybe? I think we need a serious look at the whole thing. Robson isn’t good enough, everyone sees that. I don’t see a young creative astute coach, I see a blunt instrument, not someone who inspires attacking free flowing football. I’d have given glass longer than I’d give Robson. I don’t know if providing a quality team around robson is enough, we are a club that expects more from a manager. I’m questioning the ability of those around him, and the mess that’s been created. I like cormack, it’s just becoming more apparent to me that those in place, Robson, Gunn for 2 to begin with, aren’t our required level.

not sure where Jordan miles fits in but our recruitment seems a lot more miss than hit and who answers for that?? Harsh to judge him since the summer work was mostly done before he got here.

Yep, we're saying the same thing basically. The guys in the background aren't good enough, exacerbating the problem of the manager not being good enough. Our strategy is clearly to take many of the functions "in house", like recruitment, to make things easier on the manager allowing us to hire guys that don't want the control someone like McInnes did. That seems to be the strategy anyway, and it's one that I agree with personally. The point is that the building blocks should transcend the manager, and whenever he leaves we're not throwing everything out and starting again like we had to with every manager from McInnes backwards. If we're insisting on that strategy then the guys in the background have to be doing their jobs to the highest possible standard. They have to be very good. That seemed to be the case in hiring Mowbray, and I'm assuming the Miles lad is also of that ilk (there isn't a recruitment person in the world that isn't hit or miss).

The point is that we're in no position to be appointing a new coach until we get that backroom sorted. Glass was hung out to dry by us not having anything in place when he joined, with Robson we've just got a recruitment team, which is only half the job. We could argue that Gunn is there, and he might be great to work for and with, but nobody that's good at their role could sit through the mistakes that Goodwin made and now Robson is making and call themselves fit for purpose. At some point, you have to be calling the manager in and showing him very clearly that he's doing exactly the same thing every week and asking what his strategy is and telling him very clearly that if he continues and it fails then he's out of a job. If Robson can't explain himself to a layperson then he shouldn't be in a job. Goodwin played Ramadani as a holding midfielder every week, Robson plays Clarkson there every week and neither of them are being held accountable by anyone. Without fixing the problem, we'll be sacking the next guy in January 2025 for exactly the same reason. I feel sorry for Robson for the same reasons I did Glass (less so Goodwin, who'd had a few jobs already), as the club has failed them by not having the right pieces in place before hiring managers to their first position. It's completely unacceptable. Whoever is sitting watching this shite unquestioned every fucking week within pittodrie needs canned immediately. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dons8321 said:

Unfortunately his one tactic turned out to be "trust in luck" (against DU Fletcher missed 4/5 fairly easy chances and against St. J we should have been 1 down before Consi was sent off so that worked well) and then Duk was suddenly on fire, Clarkson was strutting his stuff and Shinnie was a real driving force  Unfortunately none of those 4 (including luck) have turned up this season - Duk is looking like a less effective Sam Cosgrove, Shinnie (as you often intimate) is running around like a headless chicken because he's playing in the wrong role,  and Clarkson can take a good dead-ball kick but can't often pass to the guy in the red shirt standing 10-15 yds (aul mannies term) from him.  We've got a really good centre-forward who is being run into the ground chasing long balls launched hopefully in his direction - he's a striker like Joe Harper..in the penalty area, with a smidgen of goal he'll score (ie the 2 against Livi) because his movement is excellent but Robson asks him to chase about after hopeful balls down the channel or compete with guys 4/5 inches taller than him.  I really wanted Robson to succeed but he's shown himself to be too much like Goodwin - my tactics are right and even when all the evidence is showing me that I'm wrong, I'll continue doing it because it'll eventually come OK and I'll be proved right - and as obstinate (Baron not being picked because he's not signed a new contract (I'm assuming that's the reason)...just cutting your nose off etc). 

I agree mostly, but Robson's tactics are very clear regardless of how shite they are. Draw them out, and then fast ball in behind for Miovski to score from. If the ball falls short then Shinnie and Ramadan.... McGrath pick up the scraps and move it quickly to Duk or drive into the box or whatever. Clarkson is giving away passes because he has to use the ball very quickly in order for this tactic to work. The stupid thing is, it's got such a low success rate, for very obvious reasons (because you have to play a pinpoint sixty yard pass - that everyone's expecting - between a deep defence and goalkeeper without even glancing over your shoulder first). Yet nobody at the club is pointing this out to Robson. Just as nobody pointed out to Goodwin that Ramadani was shite playing between midfield and defence and playing Barron ahead of him (on the pitch) was playing to his weaknesses and running him into the ground (exactly the same as Shinnie). The two tactics are extremely easy to identify, extremely easy to rectify and - most importantly - extremely difficult to justify. That's why it's clear, to me, that we have nobody at the club capable of asking the manager to justify his decisions, and explain why they aren't working and how, with current personnel, they could possibly work. It's not acceptable that two managers can come in and continually, stubbornly, make the same mistake every week and not be held to account. It'll be pure luck if the next guy doesn't end up doing the same, because we've got no structure of accountability. We're needlessly blaming and then sacking managers because we're not getting the opportunity to tell them to stop, take a breather, and try something different until it's too late and the players have lost every ounce of confidence.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I agree mostly, but Robson's tactics are very clear regardless of how shite they are. Draw them out, and then fast ball in behind for Miovski to score from. If the ball falls short then Shinnie and Ramadan.... McGrath pick up the scraps and move it quickly to Duk or drive into the box or whatever. Clarkson is giving away passes because he has to use the ball very quickly in order for this tactic to work. The stupid thing is, it's got such a low success rate, for very obvious reasons (because you have to play a pinpoint sixty yard pass - that everyone's expecting - between a deep defence and goalkeeper without even glancing over your shoulder first). Yet nobody at the club is pointing this out to Robson. Just as nobody pointed out to Goodwin that Ramadani was shite playing between midfield and defence and playing Barron ahead of him (on the pitch) was playing to his weaknesses and running him into the ground (exactly the same as Shinnie). The two tactics are extremely easy to identify, extremely easy to rectify and - most importantly - extremely difficult to justify. That's why it's clear, to me, that we have nobody at the club capable of asking the manager to justify his decisions, and explain why they aren't working and how, with current personnel, they could possibly work. It's not acceptable that two managers can come in and continually, stubbornly, make the same mistake every week and not be held to account. It'll be pure luck if the next guy doesn't end up doing the same, because we've got no structure of accountability. We're needlessly blaming and then sacking managers because we're not getting the opportunity to tell them to stop, take a breather, and try something different until it's too late and the players have lost every ounce of confidence.

Thing is Rico, if we are the third biggest club in Scotland, which we all think we are, is Aberdeen really the place where we need someone at the club to be correcting a limited manager for basic fuck ups, poor line up, bad tactics, rotten subbing etc? I think we’re a club that demands more than that. We can hire an Alex Ferguson up and comer if he’s clearly that stud of a young manager, but that’s obviously not Robson. Glass seemed to be smarter, just very dull to listen to and lacked the players. Both Goodwin and Robson weren’t my choices and both have shown they aren’t our standard. Are you expecting those behind the manager to give more than they are required to do? A manager can be held accountable by results, but you are asking for accountability for style of play and performance, tactics, subbing, basic team selection, I don’t think that’s their job. I think it’s results and draws and a win and a cup final have bought a poor manager under performing in the league time. I think the convo has to be moved to the next manager thread and who is astute enough for our club? We need a manager with experience so that we are not hoping the next manager has someone at the club to correct such basic errors. Our style of play is god awful, we also need a manager who will fix that. Cormack cannot be happy with the shit Robson has us playing??

11 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Thing is Rico, if we are the third biggest club in Scotland, which we all think we are, is Aberdeen really the place where we need someone at the club to be correcting a limited manager for basic fuck ups, poor line up, bad tactics, rotten subbing etc? I think we’re a club that demands more than that. We can hire an Alex Ferguson up and comer if he’s clearly that stud of a young manager, but that’s obviously not Robson. Glass seemed to be smarter, just very dull to listen to and lacked the players. Both Goodwin and Robson weren’t my choices and both have shown they aren’t our standard. Are you expecting those behind the manager to give more than they are required to do? A manager can be held accountable by results, but you are asking for accountability for style of play and performance, tactics, subbing, basic team selection, I don’t think that’s their job. I think it’s results and draws and a win and a cup final have bought a poor manager under performing in the league time. I think the convo has to be moved to the next manager thread and who is astute enough for our club? We need a manager with experience so that we are not hoping the next manager has someone at the club to correct such basic errors. Our style of play is god awful, we also need a manager who will fix that. Cormack cannot be happy with the shit Robson has us playing??

I wasn't really giving an opinion, I'm saying that our strategy is one that involves a strong team in the background and a manager who doesn't want his hand in every pie. In order to do that, you need someone that can hold the manager to account, and the evidence shows that we don't have that. If we continue with our strategy (and if we're getting up and coming players and selling them on, then there's no reason why that can't work with managers), then we need to get a stronger director of football. If we go for experienced manager, then we have to accept a complete rebuild every time, and hand him the keys to recruitment etc.

To give an opinion, I like our strategy, I just think we should get someone better behind the scenes. I do think the manager should be required to give his reasoning and be held to account for tactical decisions, I think it would really help him take a breath and properly think about it and also provide early intervention rather than wait until the inevitable sacking stage - I also think that should apply to experienced managers, who are clearly not infallible. McInnes was in an almost unsackable position in the final years here, because we had zero succession plan in place (and I don't mean picking an individual, I mean structure). 

Cormack won't be happy, but if nobody is holding his young manager to account then he can expect nothing less. Having heard him speak, I think he's fairly clueless about football, but enjoys it! I think a good director of football should have a very good understanding of football and tactics and should be able to hold the manager to account in a way that doesn't ostracise or belittle him. A sounding board, or devil's advocate basically. I think all managers should have that.