Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs killie

Missed the first half, but that second half was woeful.

We want to press teams in defence, but if they don't play out of defence or linger on the ball then they bypass it pretty easily.

Going forward, we just ping the ball into an area and hope for some individual brilliance. Miovski, only because his reading of the game and movement is so good, meant he was able to get on the ball, but in the wrong areas of the pitch. You've got your top scorer playing in an attacking midfield position with Devlin & Hayes overlapping.

Morris coming on, all he does is run to the byline, kick it off a defender and win a corner. That's him at his best. He offers nothing else. He can't beat players, he can't cross, he doesn't cut inside and create space for others. Just runs in a straight line. He's woeful.

Robson going four at the back was fine but he didn't have the personnel for it. Hayes and Morris your wingers.

Was some very audible Robson get to fuck chants after the Killie goal, although they did die down very quickly.

Robson’s lost me after that. It was evident early on that plan A wasn’t working, certainly by half time. Yet we persisted for 72 minutes.

The only thing more absurd than waiting that long to change things was plan B itself. Remove a striker and double up on wing backs.

Anyone could see we were losing the game in the middle of the pitch, especially after Shinnie got booked and had to reign himself in. Sokler for Duk, Barron for Clarkson and Polvara (to add a bit of height and physicality if nothing else) for Shinnie and I would have fancied us to nick it.

26 minutes ago, OxfordDon said:

Sad to say, and I really wanted him to do well, but I don't see Barry lasting out the season.

Agreed,was hoping he'd eventually work things out,but there was already a strong anti robson brigade before the game,think he'll find it hard to come back from this.

Left at 0-0 shaking my head.....

That was Goodwin levels of honking again. Persisting with the same shite formation again. We had it completely sussed in that first half against the Hun. Play Clarkson or Barron sitting with Shinnie and McGrath high up the park supporting Sokler and Miovski. What was fucking wrong with that? Why does Shinnie have to do the work of two players every fucking game? What is Robson watching that he thinks it's a success? Does he just sit in his room watching reruns of last season? Kudos for the eventual change to a 4-2-3-1, but do it at half time and give us time to hook Hayes. Obviously we don't have the personnel to play two wide, as Morris has proven admirably with his continued gashness. Duk offers nothing as a partner for anyone up front, we shouldn't be dicking about trying to play him until he hits form, he's a reactive mess of a player, that makes no runs and doesn't bring others into it. We really should have taken the Miovski and Sokler partnership and given it ten games to work. With McGrath or Clarkson in behind. 

Anyway, they deserved their win, and a lovely goal. The traffic was great on the way home.

Edited by RicoS321
  • Like 2

Robson is failing to see what even a half-hearted fan can see blatantly. He is astonishingly out of his depth. Sometimes the players really do click, but I put that down to luck more than Robson's tactical nous. 

He has built a squad to play in Europe next year, but I would be extremely surprised if we get there, and even more surprised if we get there with Robson at the helm. 

Sokler showed a lot of promise, it didn’t make sense to go with Duk. I mean, duk of last season scores that header but he’s nowhere near it nowadays. Hoping to wake up to some news from the club. I finally cancelled redtv (was always the plan), watching that pish this season has not been worth the increase in fee. I’d rather have had my meetings today ☹️