Author Topic: Universal credit, during this crisis  (Read 306 times)

Offline bearsdenred

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 12
Universal credit, during this crisis
« on: April 28, 2020, 09:17:50 PM »

Not been online much recently what with no football for the foreseeable future. anyway, happy days i am not out of my old job for Good.

Was a shit crappy call centre job, so was gutted to get an update from the disaster of UC recently.

So when i was made redundant on the 13th march, i applied for job seeker allowance, but they call it this universal credit crap (only the tories can make this shite up) so i added in my bank statements and final payments.

Now here is the kicker. Due to the fact my last wage was on top of a redundancy package (split 3.8k wage. 4.5k redundancy) they took my wage for March/April and worked out a reduction of 63p for every pound i was paid. thus i was -£2,424.00 which made my miraculous £409 a month be taken off me. So for the next 4/5 months, i might end up getting 0.00 due to that one wage.

So has anyone else had this?
My advice, if you get made redundant HMRC get notified by your previous employer your final wage ! so you cant even hide the money.

Gets worse. due to my diabetes i am in a risk category for this covid. Been lazy the last 4 weeks not job hunting, which i will need to take the risk, my life potentially to earn some ££ or wait it out

Offline puregenius

• Under 16's
  • Rating: 0
Re: Universal credit, during this crisis
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 08:53:00 AM »
You may be eligible to be furloughed by your old employer. Worth asking them if they would put you back on their payroll.

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 40
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
You may be eligible to be furloughed by your old employer. Worth asking them if they would put you back on their payroll.

Problem with that I suspect is if they were inclined to do so they would first ask for the £4500 back. Then under the terms of the furlough you may not be able to work for any other employer (all depends on the terms of the furlough agreement you have with your employer) which makes a mockery of the Government supposedly encouraging furloughed workers to become fruit pickers.

The only thing that tops the universal credit system in the insanity stakes is the number of people who happily voted tory ergo giving it their seal of approval.
As I said in another thread 'short termism'. The assumption for so many people is 'it wont happen to me' so they never actually stop to think that at somepoint in their life they may have to throw themselves on the mercy of the state benefit system so it might be a good idea to vote for governments who don't assume anyone who claims benefit is a workshy scrounger and deserves to starve in a ditch.
If you are in a relationship with someone who works and earns a fairly small amount (not even sure its the national average) its impossible for you to claim universal credit.
On the other side if you havent paid a certain amount of national insurance over a 2 year period you are not entitled to jobseekers allowance - something to think about the next time the Torys announce another drop in NI payments to help 'hard working families' or if you are self employed and chose to defer (or fiddle your self assessment).

I've met a few people who spent along time (and perhaps are even still) living off the state benefit system for whatever reason and I can't say I envied any of them. The word that immediately springs to mind is 'trapped'.
Under the older systems if you were on benefit you would supposedly get a 'free' house, your council tax paid, and 'free money'. Then one day you managed to get a job that would give you a little bit more than your weekly giro but suddenly you had to pay rent, council tax etc which meant at the end of the month you were worse off than when you were on benefits. What do you do? well you turn down the job of course as getting approval from the right wing press is not worth finding yourself on the street and starving.
Under this system your chances of even getting to claim are probably half (maybe worse) what they used to be.
Perhaps this virus putting lots of middle englanders on the mercy of the benefits system might give them a kick up the arse come next election day
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:27:59 PM by tom_widdows »
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

Offline bearsdenred

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 12
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 10:41:22 PM »

Yeah as Tom has said, they already reported me to HMRC as made redundant now so cant do this unfortunately. I have money in the account to tide me over until i get work in a few months. But with this lockdown i really don't see the UK getting all buisness reopened like they were back in march.

Offline puregenius

• Under 16's
  • Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 08:20:43 AM »
Yeah as Tom has said, they already reported me to HMRC as made redundant now so cant do this unfortunately. I have money in the account to tide me over until i get work in a few months. But with this lockdown i really don't see the UK getting all buisness reopened like they were back in march.

Don't think that matters.  Have a read of this page:

https://workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/coronavirus-furlough/