Author Topic: DT Politics Thread  (Read 66125 times)

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -57
Re: DT Politics Thread
« Reply #700 on: June 11, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
At the moment it's probably odds on.

Would Boris then win the election is the question.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -163
« Reply #701 on: June 11, 2019, 12:30:52 PM »
But is it as a result of his policies, or the man himself? Can you separate the two and continue with one and not the other? Or would that result in the same coverage, replacing Corbyn with another person. Let's say Jess Phillips took on the Corbyn manifesto. A decent communicator, easily as good as yer best (of 10) Torys in most departments. Would she face the same thing? MacDonald would, obviously, but somebody outwith that - without the history/baggage.

As I said, the smear campaign started on day one, as I commented at the time: -

The whiff of decency in a politician and he gets slaughtered in the press.

He speaks sense. He's not an Eton fagboy. He's free to think, unsupported by the establishment.

So the fact that the establishment goes to extraordinary lengths to discredit him proves that independent free commentary is unwelcome.

It's the press and the corporatocracy that has bought power. Only because cunts like Cameron and Miliband and Boris and the rest of them are only interested in self, not community.

Yet the job description demands community. Cunts.

Blair was (supposedly) Labour but they never nobbled him because he was in the pocket of the deep state.

The anti-semitism smears are incredible and love him or loath him, Galloway hit the nail on the head about this.

Again, it's bizarre that the is even a discussion to be honest. The BBC and it's fucking leader debates have a lot to answer for. At every opportunity it is their responsibility to shout down any comments about the personality and focus on the policy. I don't believe there is huge bias in their coverage, just wholescale incompetence and laziness. They allow themselves to be dictated by the stories in the press rather than take an objective look at the importance of each subject. Never allowing a discussion on a single topic to get deep enough to be understood by the average viewer. More harm than good in my opinion.

I think you give the BBC too much leeway and I don't understand why the subject of a non-free press would be a "bizarre" discussion.

It's quite patently NOT "incompetence and laziness". Ok, it's not as obvious as Sky and that Kay Burley cow but the mainstream media - and most definitely including the BBC are owned, bought and paid for by the same interests who don't worry about killing people in pursuit of money.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 18
« Reply #702 on: June 14, 2019, 01:31:34 PM »
At the moment it's probably odds on.

Would Boris then win the election is the question.

He would see off the Brexit party in the Tory heartlands and keep the Tory Party together. Whether that will be enough to secure a majority in the House of Commons is a different matter. I would expect him to be a disaster for the Tories in Scotland for example.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
« Reply #703 on: June 14, 2019, 03:42:32 PM »
He would see off the Brexit party in the Tory heartlands and keep the Tory Party together. Whether that will be enough to secure a majority in the House of Commons is a different matter. I would expect him to be a disaster for the Tories in Scotland for example.

Brexit Party cease to exist once Brexit happens. They are all natural Tory voters and are only protesting at Parliament's inability to deliver on what the referendum demanded they did. They won't want to split the Tory vote thereafter and let someone else in the back door in a subsequent General Election.

Boris as PM I think would be the man to ensure that the UK splits into it's constituent parts. We would definitely go our own way in a referendum and there's talk of a NI referendum being the only way to resolve the Brexit backstop question. With us gone I think there's a reasonable chance that they'd choose to join a united Ireland. Wales will get there in the end too

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -57
« Reply #704 on: June 14, 2019, 11:46:18 PM »
Nah

The Welsh are even bigger cowards than the Scots.