Author Topic: Scotland squad  (Read 22859 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -141
Re: Scotland squad
« Reply #660 on: October 14, 2018, 07:28:11 PM »
Another pumping I see.  How did the dons players play? Saw Shinnie / GMS essentially created the consolation goal

GMS created a goal out of nothing, from an exceptional back heel. It's what he's got. He's a very intelligent footballer. Is he robust enough to contribute to a winning cause? Possibly. He's ageing like fine wine, the twinkle toes cunt. Seriously, it was sublime.

Overall Scotland looked good until they scored. It was a bad result but not an unfair scoreline. 1-2 might have been more fair but it was 0-3 until the last move of the match.

Scotland is in the toilet.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #661 on: October 14, 2018, 07:37:11 PM »
OMG. Just seen McLeish's post-match comments. He is either insane or more likely, in denial, for reasons that probably include holding on to his job. It's a total shit show, from top to bottom with no way back.

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 20
« Reply #662 on: October 14, 2018, 11:14:25 PM »
Looked far more comfortable playing a 4 at the back. Was never a 3-0 game but individual errors cost us. Desperately need to find a right back as O’Donnell is clearly not good enough for this level. Was disappointed Devlin never got a game ahead of Hendry as he is a far better player. Hendry at fault for all of the goals. Thought GMS did more in his 20 minutes than Forrest has done in his 23 caps for Scotland. Still another defeat and knives are well and truly out for McLeish amongst support. No way he survives if we do not win next 2 games.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #663 on: October 15, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
Desperately need to find a right back as O’Donnell is clearly not good enough for this level.

Malky Mackay played Ryan Jack at RB at Pittodrie v. Holland. He was brilliant in that position.

Offline Lencarl

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 5
« Reply #664 on: October 15, 2018, 09:18:10 AM »
Alex McLeish is now fighting for his job big time.

He spouts some shite at his post match interviews.

With Israel beating Albania to top Scotland's Nations League group McLeish must win the remaining fixtures or he will be back on Sky and BT advertising himself for another job...... again.
NEVER plan ahead.

Offline Slim

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -984
« Reply #665 on: October 15, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »
We can afford to draw with Albania if we beat Israel at home can’t we?

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #666 on: October 15, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
We can afford to draw with Albania if we beat Israel at home can’t we?

Yes sir.

Topping the group means what? What happens next? I don't understand this competition. 16 groups A1 to D4. Then what?

Offline Lencarl

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 5
« Reply #667 on: October 15, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »
Yes sir.

Topping the group means what? What happens next? I don't understand this competition. 16 groups A1 to D4. Then what?

We won't have to worry about that  :laughing:

Don't quote me on it though.
NEVER plan ahead.

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 19
« Reply #668 on: October 15, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »
Yes sir.

We would go into mini playoff with the winners of the other League C groups. Straightforward knockout, to be played after the "normal" Euro qualifiers are finished.
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?

Online RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 67
« Reply #669 on: October 15, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
Yes sir.

Further to wee toon's explanation. It means that you are guaranteed at least a play-off spot for the euros. There will be a normal qualfication campaign too, which if you win yer group you go through without a playoff.

Winning the nation's league will mean that there is less pressure for the normal euro qualifiers as you will have a fall back. It's a good thing to win I'd say, we showed in the last campaign that we can be a good team when the pressure is completely off (we'd all but failed to qualify after the Lithuania game). The problem being - as it was in the Slovenia game - when we face the pressure of the "nned to win" games again and we fuck it up.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #670 on: October 15, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »
Thx for explanation. I take it that the A to D group teams are the seeds for the real qualifying, so they can some practise matches and the back up of a play-off too if they win the group.

So there's 16 teams for the play-offs, less the teams who automatically qualified through the groups proper (presumably only by winning their qualifying group), plus those who came second in the groups proper not already in the play offs by way of this Nations League stuff.

I'm sure they would have thought this through but how many groups in the real qualifying, how many teams per group, how many in the competition proper and how many play offs? I'm guessing there may be room for a 3rd placed team (from the groups proper) to make up the 16 teams who play-off, assuming that is the intent.

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
« Reply #671 on: October 15, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
I'm sure they would have thought this through but how many groups in the real qualifying, how many teams per group, how many in the competition proper and how many play offs? I'm guessing there may be room for a 3rd placed team (from the groups proper) to make up the 16 teams who play-off, assuming that is the intent.

Not quite. 10 groups for the normal qualifiers. Top two from each group qualify. If any of those teams are due to take part in the Nations League playoffs, their playoff place will fall to another, non-qualified, team from the Nations League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #672 on: October 15, 2018, 06:24:54 PM »
Not quite. 10 groups for the normal qualifiers. Top two from each group qualify. If any of those teams are due to take part in the Nations League playoffs, their playoff place will fall to another, non-qualified, team from the Nations League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying

Why do only some teams get to play for the right to get one of the four play off spots?

There's 55 teams in the 10 groups but not 55 teams in the European Nations.

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
« Reply #673 on: October 15, 2018, 08:05:26 PM »
Why do only some teams get to play for the right to get one of the four play off spots?

There's 55 teams in the 10 groups but not 55 teams in the European Nations.

As far as I can see there are 55 teams in the Nations League.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #674 on: October 15, 2018, 08:09:43 PM »
As far as I can see there are 55 teams in the Nations League.

So there are. Just scrolled through the tables.

Thanks for your info and link. Whilst I've now got a better handle on it all, still not 100% sure how the play offs work but will cross that bridge when we get there, which we may not anyway so will be blissful in my ignorance.

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
« Reply #675 on: October 15, 2018, 09:14:59 PM »
So there are. Just scrolled through the tables.

Thanks for your info and link. Whilst I've now got a better handle on it all, still not 100% sure how the play offs work but will cross that bridge when we get there, which we may not anyway so will be blissful in my ignorance.

:thumbsup:

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 20
« Reply #676 on: October 16, 2018, 07:47:44 PM »
Scotland U21s soundly beaten 2-0 tonight at Tynecastle. English players bigger stronger and technically miles ahead of us. Defeat made even more grating by the hun cunts with their Tributr Act flag cheering on England.