Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Ex Dons at QotS

Still say that Steve Tosh did a job for us and gave a bit of bite to the midfield.  Shame his pace let him down but he scored a few crackers and also nailed a ball into the United dugout when the match turned a bit nasty.   ;D

how could I forget that :lolabove:

With 4 of them in there the odds are good that we will rue one of them playing against us. If John Stewart is that man then our entire team should just give up football. I'm more inclined to expect his expert back control on to be on display

Still say that Steve Tosh did a job for us and gave a bit of bite to the midfield.  Shame his pace let him down but he scored a few crackers and also nailed a ball into the United dugout when the match turned a bit nasty.   ;D

Agreed that was quality, all i remember from that day was the whistle going and him sprinting from the box to the half way line and nailing the ball in to the dugout, was class.

Will also never forget a story about him, think it was just after he signed one of the youth players tried to be funny with him and played a prank, Tosher the next day got shoe polish and put it over the guys cardoor handles. HAHA

Agreed that was quality, all i remember from that day was the whistle going and him sprinting from the box to the half way line and nailing the ball in to the dugout, was class.

Will also never forget a story about him, think it was just after he signed one of the youth players tried to be funny with him and played a prank, Tosher the next day got shoe polish and put it over the guys cardoor handles. HAHA

My mate had a story from when he was a youth team player at Aberdeen. They trained with the first team during school holidays and one of the other youth team players had been giving Tosher stick all day at training, with Steve being strangely quiet. The player in question had been circumcised, which led to Tosher finally snapping & saying "Here's a magic trick for you all, watch ****'s foreskin disappear" before pulling the lads towel off of him. Brilliant.

My mate had a story from when he was a youth team player at Aberdeen. They trained with the first team during school holidays and one of the other youth team players had been giving Tosher stick all day at training, with Steve being strangely quiet. The player in question had been circumcised, which led to Tosher finally snapping & saying "Here's a magic trick for you all, watch ****'s foreskin disappear" before pulling the lads towel off of him. Brilliant.

What a card.

Tosh can’t lose against the Dons

By Paul Third

Published: 20/03/2008

Former Don Steve Tosh took his place among fellow Aberdeen supporters at Tynecastle as the Reds lost to Dundee United in the League Cup semi-final.

Aberdeen are now at the penultimate stage of another competition – but this time Tosh will do all he can to see them denied a final once more.

The Queen of the South midfielder leads a quartet of ex-Dons – the others are Jamie McQuilken, Neil MacFarlane and John Stewart – against Aberdeen at Hampden on April 12 as the Reds bid to reach their first Scottish Cup final in eight years.

Aberdeen eliminated holders Celtic at Parkhead on Tuesday and are strong favourites to beat the First Division Doonhamers, but Tosh insists his side has a chance of creating an upset.

He said: “I was quite happy with Celtic losing. The result gives us a better chance of reaching the final as your prospects are better against a provincial club than one of the Old Firm.

“It didn’t matter who we got as the game will be our cup final.

“We will have as much chance as Aberdeen had against Celtic and we have been on a fantastic run. But I know that if the real Aberdeen turn up, then we have no chance.

“To get to the last four of the Scottish Cup is brilliant, but we haven’t played an SPL team along the way, so I’m not kidding myself. I know how tough it is going to be, but I know one thing and that is we will give Aberdeen a game.

“The semi-final is all about giving our supporters a day to remember. They have waited 58 years since the club last reached the semi-finals and it will be nice to see them at Hampden.â€

Tosh feels he cannot lose whatever the outcome.

He said: “I am in a win-win situation. I would love to play in another cup final but, if we lose, then I can take comfort in the fact we will have lost to the team I’d love to see in the final.

“I would prefer it to be Queen of the South, but I won’t be disappointed if it’s Aberdeen.

“I was at Tynecastle for the League Cup semi-final and if Aberdeen perform like they did against Dundee United on that day then we have a great chance.â€

Tosh, who will face the Dons two weeks before his 35th birthday, rates his time in the Granite City among the very best of his career.

He turned down a one-year contract extension offer from Aberdeen to join Gretna on a three-year deal in January 2005 and has often questioned whether the decision was the correct one, despite the successful period with the Black and Whites.

November 27, 2004, in particular was a special day in the Tosh household with the then Aberdeen player scoring one of the most memorable SPL goals of his career.

He said: “My son Jordan was born in Aberdeen and I scored the day he was born as we beat Dundee United. Our manager Gordon Chisholm was with them at the time.

“It was a special time for me and my son gets a Dons strip every year as well as a Queen of the South one.

“I loved it in Aberdeen and it was hard decision to leave for Gretna.

Who knows what would have happened had I stayed? But I played in the Scottish Cup final and in Europe with Gretna so I can have no complaints.

“People will have their own ideas on whether it was the right decision and I would have walked back up to Pittodrie to sign had the offer come my way when I left Gretna.â€

Jamie McQuilken

Even considering the low standard of all four of those, surely he represents the low point of that list. Can't believe he's still in the game, or the fact that he played for quite a collection of the bigger teams - Us, Hibs, United, Celtic.

I remember when we bought him (that's right, bought him) I was thinking, "Well, he can't be any worse than McAllister, can he"? How wrong I was proven. Utterly dreadful.

The rest were total muppets but steve tosh was the heart and soul of our team and i was gutted when he left.  I was in cardiff library listening online when he scored against utd and nearly got barred from the place, apparently shouting "take it you arab scum" in such place isnt acceptable. 

The rest were total muppets but steve tosh was the heart and soul of our team and i was gutted when he left.  I was in cardiff library listening online when he scored against utd and nearly got barred from the place, apparently shouting "take it you arab scum" in such place isnt acceptable. 

Sorry, but that's utter bunkum, as someone used to say. If running around a lot, rather aimlessly at that, makes you the heart and soul of our team, then we're in a bad way and I don't know why Chris Maguire is so derided.

For heart and soul, at that time, I give you Mr Russell Anderson.

Sorry, but that's utter bunkum, as someone used to say. If running around a lot, rather aimlessly at that, makes you the heart and soul of our team, then we're in a bad way and I don't know why Chris Maguire is so derided.

For heart and soul, at that time, I give you Mr Russell Anderson.

I think we are thinking of a different steve tosh.  He grafted alright but lets face it running was never his strongest suite.  Tosh always got stuck in and imo played the captains role regardless who was actually wearing the armband.  It was after tosh left that anderson finally stood up to be counted in terms of a  leadership capacity. 

I think we are thinking of a different steve tosh.  He grafted alright but lets face it running was never his strongest suite.  Tosh always got stuck in and imo played the captains role regardless who was actually wearing the armband.  It was after tosh left that anderson finally stood up to be counted in terms of a  leadership capacity. 

I've heard it all now.

I've heard it all now.

Anderson was never the 'heart & soul' of our team back then and was still finding his feet as captain.  Eventually he became the player who led by example but it was Tosh who was very vocal and was always seen to be giving orders or barking at others for slack play.

Something we've been missing for years is a combination of the two.

Anderson was never the 'heart & soul' of our team back then and was still finding his feet as captain.  Eventually he became the player who led by example but it was Tosh who was very vocal and was always seen to be giving orders or barking at others for slack play.

Something we've been missing for years is a combination of the two.

Tosh was certainly one of the regular shouters in the team and always got stuck in.

"Heart and soul of the team" what a decidedly shite phrase that is.