Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Preseason games?

1 hour ago, LA-Don said:

Any info? Think in the Q&A Glass said there would be a bunch of behind closed door games, starting last Thursday night. And another today? Anyone got any info??

Inverness on Tuesday.

Then I think there’s two games in one day strangely (Reading & St Johnstone) - presumably the squad split in two.

So, we’re only playing two games effectively before the Hacken game.

That seems far too few - another couple of games are needed. 

4 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

Inverness on Tuesday.

Then I think there’s two games in one day strangely (Reading & St Johnstone) - presumably the squad split in two.

There's likely a massive trade off between playing friendlies and the increased covid risk just now. A really difficult balancing act unfortunately.

4 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

Inverness on Tuesday.

Some of the players will be asked to play in both of these matches according to Glass. Risk of injury surely higher playing more than one match in a day. I also question the benefit of playing a second match in a day? Surely the players that play in both will be physically and mentally tired?

12 hours ago, Chris Frae Killie said:

Some of the players will be asked to play in both of these matches according to Glass. Risk of injury surely higher playing more than one match in a day. I also question the benefit of playing a second match in a day? Surely the players that play in both will be physically and mentally tired?

I imagine it’ll be 45 in one game & 45 in the other. 

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Schedule announced here. Playing Inverness, St Johnstone and Reading.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2021/07/06/dons-confirm-closed-door-pre-season-schedule/

On another note, every time I post here I get a notification telling me I've gone up a rank. Any chance of getting rid of those - I know my posts are great but i don't need an award each time.

Better than your BBC pieces ?

Back on point, 2 games is nowhere near enough preparation for a 50/50 tie against a fully fit, mid-season, Swedish team.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we got knocked out. 

1 hour ago, RedStarTorphins said:

Better than your BBC pieces ?

Back on point, 2 games is nowhere near enough preparation for a 50/50 tie against a fully fit, mid-season, Swedish team.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we got knocked out. 

One look at county shows why though. It's a nightmare of a time to be playing a game. We're just at the point where the general public - possibly even including the players - are beginning to say fuck it, to the distancing measures as we move into "normal" times. The number of infections is increasing very quickly and we'll be extremely lucky not to have a player pick it up (my money's on Gallagher, for no real reason). The risk is fairly big, and I think the club are reluctantly doing the right thing. I'm wondering if the testing will actually go out the window early next season with an agreement that if players have been vaccinated they're fine.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

One look at county shows why though. It's a nightmare of a time to be playing a game. We're just at the point where the general public - possibly even including the players - are beginning to say fuck it, to the distancing measures as we move into "normal" times. The number of infections is increasing very quickly and we'll be extremely lucky not to have a player pick it up (my money's on Gallagher, for no real reason). The risk is fairly big, and I think the club are reluctantly doing the right thing. I'm wondering if the testing will actually go out the window early next season with an agreement that if players have been vaccinated they're fine.

Yeh I can understand it.

Damned if you do (play more games & increase risk), & damned if you don’t (go in very unprepared & a decent chance of defeat with the inevitable barrage of criticism that’ll go with it).

Even the 3rd game would’ve made a difference, & they wasn’t the clubs fault.

in an ideal “normal” world, 4 games would’ve been about right, working up through levels of opposition. 

As I said, a new team, underprepared, against an improving Swedish team in mid-season… wouldn’t be surprised if we’re out. 

41 minutes ago, RedStarTorphins said:

Yeh I can understand it.

Damned if you do (play more games & increase risk), & damned if you don’t (go in very unprepared & a decent chance of defeat with the inevitable barrage of criticism that’ll go with it).

Even the 3rd game would’ve made a difference, & they wasn’t the clubs fault.

in an ideal “normal” world, 4 games would’ve been about right, working up through levels of opposition. 

As I said, a new team, underprepared, against an improving Swedish team in mid-season… wouldn’t be surprised if we’re out. 

The more I think about it, the more I understand the caution.

When you look around the sporting world, you see various teams being affected.

Ross County are shut down.

Lions rugby game postponed

Engkand cricket team naming an entirely new squad for an ODI v Sri Lanka. 

I know the bottom line of Friendlies is to get match fit and work on shape and stuff like that, but I always find it disappointing not to win, again, I know there purpose is a factor of different things, but winning breeds confidence, no matter the game, just my opinion. 

Finally back into the action though and the competitive games cannot come quick enough, pretty buzzed for this Season ( Despite a shite draw against ICT ?

Interesting to see McCrorie and Considine played the whole match in central of defence whereas everyone else played 45 minutes. Not sure if that means they'll be playing together against Hacken or if it just highlights the lack of depth in that position where we don't even have a young loon to chuck in for 45 minutes in a bounce game against lower league opposition.

11 minutes ago, Slim said:

Interesting to see McCrorie and Considine played the whole match in central of defence whereas everyone else played 45 minutes. Not sure if that means they'll be playing together against Hacken or if it just highlights the lack of depth in that position where we don't even have a young loon to chuck in for 45 minutes in a bounce game against lower league opposition.

I'd actually be happy enough with that pairing, but I'm guessing Gallagher will be in for the next friendlies. I'm guessing Devlin spontaneously combusted pre-match too

49 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I'd actually be happy enough with that pairing, but I'm guessing Gallagher will be in for the next friendlies. I'm guessing Devlin spontaneously combusted pre-match too

Broke his wrist signing that ridiculous contract we are offering him.

Bin it, release him, replace him 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Panda said:

I don't understand how Ramirez has to quarantine for 10 days, yet is allowed to train and played the second half today.

I know he got an elite sport exception, I just don't get the logic behind it.

I agree.

Almost as baffling as offering Mikey Devlin a contract .