Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mike McCurry

• 1 year later...

Some good news for next season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8056219.stm

Mike McCurry's career as a top-class referee is over.

The 44-year-old from Glasgow has been omitted by the Scottish Football Association from the list of senior officials for next season.

McCurry, a Baptist associate pastor, has been an often controversial figure in Scottish football.

Craig Levein's comments about McCurry's performance in a match against Rangers in May led to a £5,000 fine for the Dundee United manager.

Levein accused McCurry, who later admitted to mistakes during the game, of "bottling" big decisions during Rangers' 3-1 victory.

The referee, whose private life also became the focus of newspaper news pages, has gone public in support of the introduction of video technology to assist decision making.

Meanwhile, Dougie McDonald will referee Sunday's crucial Scottish Premier League fixture between Dundee United and Rangers.

A win for the Ibrox club at Tannadice would mean they will be champions for the first time in four years.

Craig Thomson will be the man in the middle of Celtic's home game against Hearts.

Gordon Strachan's side require a win and for Rangers to drop points to retain the title.

Eddie Smith will be in charge of the relegation battle between Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Falkirk.

If the Bairns lose on Saturday, they will go down, but victory would mean that Terry Butcher's team will play in the First Division next season unless St Mirren lose heavily at home to Hamilton Accies.

No more mike mccurry.  Good times, not hated a ref so much since les mottram. 

Actually who has been your favourite ref over the years?  I always had a lot of time for dallas and rowbotham and was genuinley disapointed when they retired, no others really stand out though.

Guest Nellie The Don

Actually who has been your favourite ref over the years?  I always had a lot of time for dallas and rowbotham and was genuinley disapointed when they retired, no others really stand out though.

I liked Willie Young. One of the few willing to stand up to the old firm.

Is it just me or do refs seemed to become less well known. A few years ago everyone knew mike mcurry, rowbotham, hugh dallas, willie young. Now the refs seemed to be unknown.

I very rarely now anything about the refs in comparison to a few years back.

Used to like Rowbotham until he bottled sending of the fat Geordie prick for trying headbutt our entire team in the one game at Ibrox. Never really recovered from that.

I liked Willie Young. One of the few willing to stand up to the old firm.

I liked Willie Young too. I was at a dinner in Glasgow a few years back and he was the speaker at it. He was recalling the difficulty of refereeing characters such as Paul Gascoigne and Paulo Di Canio and he'd said that the most intimidating atmosphere he has ever experienced in his career was an Aberdeen Vs. Rangers match at Pittodrie where he said he got abuse for the entire game. Certainly memorable.

I could barely tell you the names of any referees now.