Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

hivs v dons

Only post match comments I can see -  "I'm maybe guilty of making too many changes looking back now.

"I thought the 3-4-1-2 we went to allowed us more possession of the ball and we got into good areas, but we didn't do enough with the ball and I've gambled too early with the shape because it left us more open on the counter attack."

Motherwell, after losing to us, seemed to have sorted their shit out, they are scoring goals and have momentum, they are back into 3rd, Hibs have lost once since Jack Ross came in, and are now 7 points behind us, again though, they will probably get better the more Ross works with them and he gets his own players in.

We desperately need some impetus, wether it's new players in January, or a completely new brand of Football, we are still utterly predictable. They coped with Cosgrove very easily today, and as a result, we didn't really look like scoring, that is a concern.

Only post match comments I can see -  "I'm maybe guilty of making too many changes looking back now.

"I thought the 3-4-1-2 we went to allowed us more possession of the ball and we got into good areas, but we didn't do enough with the ball and I've gambled too early with the shape because it left us more open on the counter attack."

He made the changes when we were 1-0 down and Hibs let us have the ball, they defended deeper, and tried to hold on to their lead whilst hitting us on the Counter, his changes just made the Counter Attack a lot easier, as we let Considne mark Boyle, and that was only ever going to go one way.

more possession of the ball we had 35-45%

Today showed the lack of real quality in our squad. Once Ferguson was booked we lost all drive in the middle of park. We have no creativity in the team. Again it was long balls into the channels or for Cosgrove to try and hold up. We desperately need to get in some creativity in January. Substitutions were bizarre to say the least especially with us only being 1-0 at the time. Changes were always going to expose our back line to the counter attack.

In Main and Gallagher we have two of the worst players I have see playing in the top flight.

I can't say I'm surprised at the result today, as when they were up here a few months ago and in my opinion they tore us a new one and if it wasn't for Doige being pish when through 1 on 1 that day with the keeper they would have won the game comfortably. They as a team pass the ball around well and have some good attacking players, but are weak at the back and we didn't try and exploit that today.

We are so predictable it is scary and most people can see it bar our own manager, it is like he is watching a different team from the rest of us.

Our poor recruitment over the past few windows is really biting us on the arse now, our squad is very unbalanced and full of very average players.

Horrendous display, should have been one down in under a minute though having survived that, we should then have went into half-time one up.....Cosgrove missing a tap in rebound from a decent Wilson shot that a primary school kid would have knocked in with ease.

Second half....again they could/should have scored within seconds of the restart but was only delaying the inevitable. I said pre-match that I didn't think Boyle v Consi was a good idea and so it proved with him burning him for pace to be clean through on Joe and finished well.....great pass from Allan setting it up. McKenna didn't look too clever either, way too slow to react to the danger.

Triple substitution at 1-0 down seemed to be a big over-reaction. And bizarrely involved taking off Vyner who had actually been ok ( ok was about the top performance level from any of our players) and leaving on Gallagher who reverted to type and was 75% anonymous/25% shyte. We chased the game and inevitably Boyle burned us for pace on the break to kill off any hope we had. Although we certainly should have had a penalty shortly after when Hedges was brought down in the box.....his theatrical way of going down instead cost him a booking and the penalty refused by the ref. By then we knew ity wasn't our day and Hivs 3rd was inevitable, the heads having one down by that point.

Quite a vocal rendition of "Derek, Derek, get tae fuck" ensued at full time. Of course he won't but with Celtic and Hearts away before the break, can't see us taking more than 6 points from the 4 games we play (yep even with Hearts being shittier than the inside of a Simon Stainrod shoe). If we take less than 4 then the pressure will start to mount. Get no points then we might be in business ( I think I'd probably accept writing this season off to get a managerial change tbh)

Derek....get tae fuck

I think McInnes will leave at the end of the season. That's just a guess - but I sense he's getting a little jaded now.

His pop at his critics in midweek can be taken two ways. Either it's fuelled him with the desire to prove everyone wrong and stick it out, or he'll 'prove us wrong' at another club.

This season third is the best we can get and looking ahead it's hard to see the gap closing. In the last few seasons we've been regular finalists and Celtic's closest challenges - take both away and the job isn't as appealing anymore. Unless McInnes believes he can win more silverware or give the Old Firm a run for their money, what is keeping him here?

Twice now I've heard Stephen Glass be mentioned as a replacement. It's likely a rumour based on someone putting the Atlanta-Cormack-Aberdeen jigsaw together rather than anything actually being in it. No idea what I'd think of that. Hate to say it, but a stellar name like Steven Gerrard had Rangers fans buzzing. They nearly appointed McInnes and who knows what he would have done there, but one thing's for sure - 5,000 fans wouldn't have turned up at Ibrox to welcome McInnes to Rangers like they did Gerrard. Where we are at the moment we need a name that has that same sort of reaction, whether that guy has a track record in management or not, because fans are bored at the moment - of the football, of the atmosphere, of the return of the status quo. No idea realistically who that name would be, but it's not Stephen Robinson, Derek Adams or Paul Hartley anyway.

But, that's for another day. For now - we need Ojo and Bryson fit to give us something that resembles a midfield. The January transfer window has to go well - a right-back, a centre-back to replace McKenna if he leaves and another midfielder are priorities. Not sure I can see us signing as many as three players though.

I think McInnes will leave at the end of the season. That's just a guess - but I sense he's getting a little jaded now.

His pop at his critics in midweek can be taken two ways. Either it's fuelled him with the desire to prove everyone wrong and stick it out, or he'll 'prove us wrong' at another club.

This season third is the best we can get and looking ahead it's hard to see the gap closing. In the last few seasons we've been regular finalists and Celtic's closest challenges - take both away and the job isn't as appealing anymore. Unless McInnes believes he can win more silverware or give the Old Firm a run for their money, what is keeping him here?

These words prove to me that there's still a huge number of you who haven't seen through the small bearded charlatan. Like on the last match thread when mitigation was being offered, specifically that he had pulled off a tactical masterstroke and that attendances have been good during his tenure.

What he wants and what he believes is irrelevant. He's not fit for purpose. He's a loser, a very bitter one. The only reason Kris Boyd and the wos media bum him up is that they don't want a strong AFC and under McInnes, we would never be one. He's an epsilon or zed male who's taking you all for a ride.

Talking of alpha males, Drunken Disorderly Ferguson was fabulous in his first game at Everton. After that performance, they would be mad to appoint anyone else just now. He's got no experience, he's not the sharpest tool in the box but what he does have, the likes of McInnes doesn't even recognise far less possess.

Watched the highlights last night, if you can call them that and have to say that was some pass from the boy Allan for their opener.

Have to say after seeing the goals they did exactly the same to us on Saturday as they did up here, but more clinical in front of the goal on this occassion.

Poor from us again though.

I was all for us trying to get Allan onboard in the summer, would have solved the problem number 10 position instantly. I know his heart was set on moving to Hibs....but so was Ojo until we blew them out the water financially.

Allan would never fit into to a McInnes side, as he doesn't do enough of the hard graft that McInnes wants from his attacking players.