Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen vs St Johnstone

Lucky not to be one down in the 3rd or 4th minute. The only attack we had worth anything was a sublime through ball by Scott Wright but Stevie May didn't know whether to try for the far corner or cut back and it fell between the two. McLennan was poor, as was Ferguson. Shinnie and Ball offer zero creativity but the whole team was incapable of creating anything. Just a shocking performance.

Trying to resist my usual over the top dramatic comments after a result like this, and it's being made more difficult given that the players definitely put in 2 monumental shifts last Sunday and then on Wednesday.....

What is absolutely clear, still, is our lack of creativity biting us hard. Scott Wright, can't really argue with the points made about him, he's not really cutting the mustard? Perhaps he needs a run of consecutive games though, difficult to write off a kid. Stevie May up front is alarming as it is, but to be up there alone is just pish management, infuriating really. 

Was always going to be difficult, given the run St Johnstone have been on and there is no doubt they came here confident, but we should have matched that confidence at the very minimum. We simply cannot rely on winning free kicks and hoping to score from them, becoming quite tedious now.

Just very disappointing and infuriating.  :(

Unfortunately we could sign Harry Kane in January and he wouldn't score in this Dons side. Our midfield usually consists of Ball/Shinnie/Ferguson + A.N. Other. No creativity unless GMS is fit and on form.

Not one player gets any more than 5/10 today. Ferguson badly needs a rest and Logan badly needs replaced in January.

Not looking forward to Tues night

well that was shite, got what we deserved, but still a hard one to take.

I don't think we can take any positives from the game today and will be another tough test against Live on Tuesday night.

Something needs to change in the middle of the park, we have plenty of fight, but very little quality.

This was a year we expected Gleason to boss the midfield with shinnie, forrester to be the new Ryan Christie, and James Wilson banging them in. We’re paying those three a big chuck of change I’d assume to pretty much do nothing. We’ve got to get them off the books, even getting rid of them and signing nobody in January isn’t a big deal, I’d rather see Anderson campbell and Ferguson.

Well that was worth travelling up for 3 hours dosed up on Imodium for. Our central 3 in the middle of the park offered zero going forward. This allowed St J to concentrate on stifling our wide players which they did very well. McGinn should have started in the centre to at least give us some creativity. We never looked like winning today and play the same way on Tuesday and we will get beat again.

Unfortunately we could sign Harry Kane in January and he wouldn't score in this Dons side. Our midfield usually consists of Ball/Shinnie/Ferguson + A.N. Other. No creativity unless GMS is fit and on form.

Not one player gets any more than 5/10 today. Ferguson badly needs a rest and Logan badly needs replaced in January.

Not looking forward to Tues night

Not sure if I agree with that. It must be demoralizing for the midfield to be sending balls up front and knowing that fuck all is going to happen. We need a forward who will do something with the ball.

Not sure if I agree with that. It must be demoralizing for the midfield to be sending balls up front and knowing that fuck all is going to happen. We need a forward who will do something with the ball.

Not sure if I agree with that either. Much as I agree that May and Cosgrove are incompetently useless as overall complete strikers - where Rooney could at least sniff the onion bag - and the youngsters haven't been given enough games for them to settle into any sort of rhythm, I don't see any midfield players at AFC capable of delivering anything up front, ever. Not today anyway. At least within 60 seconds of coming on today, McGinn started delivering some good balls into the box but Ball and Shinnie don't have the skills nor the capability to make anything happen in a positive, creative manner. They're just breakers, not play makers.

Fucking shite. We were watching Logan closely from the South Stand and he had no runners in front of him EVERY time Considine was feeding him the ball.

I make no apologies for saying that apart from an 8 wee period at the end of last season, the Cup semi and final and an odd league game this season he has been god awful since August 2017. A lot of the time it appears his concentration is shot to pieces and his decision making appalling. Did you not see the blatant penalty we got away with just after half time yesterday?

I blame all the toing and froing to Manchester every week to see his kids. His contract is up at season's end and I think his intention is to find a club in the Manchester area or certainly driveable to it. He has been a great servant but I think a clean break is now best for both parties. We obviously tried to get Jason Naismith in the summer, he wouldn't have been coming to play second fiddle so it would seem DM agrees with me.

I didn't see the incident where he gave away the pen but I guess the ref agreed with me  ;)

Seriously, very unlike me not to remember or fail to see a key moment. Must've been on my phone checking my bets.

Logan is one of the few I would keep and one of the very few I consider good enough for AFC. Yes like many players under McInnes he has been regressing and you could be right that weekly travel isn't helping. It's a sad indictment of how bad our city has gotten that both Logan and McInnes opted not to relocate their families. It also shows a lack of long term commitment.

But please don't quote McInnes agreeing with you as any sort of justification. He's a balloon.