Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Any way to have the SFA/SPFL listen to the views of fans.

And AFC's inability to mount a serious challenge in the last 20+ years isn't just coincidentally when Milne took over. It's 100% down to the managers he employed not being fucking good enough.

We could have had Calderwood or Alex fucking Miller in charge with the team that Fergie had in the early 80s and they would still have won us the domestic trophies we did. Only the ECWC might have been beyond their tactical wit. So it's 100% down to having shite players in the past 30 odd years that we haven't won any leagues ( even 91/92 the likes of Brian Irvine, Brian Grant, Mason etc just weren't of the required standard even tough we got very very close)

We could have had Calderwood or Alex fucking Miller in charge with the team that Fergie had in the early 80s and they would still have won us the domestic trophies we did. Only the ECWC might have been beyond their tactical wit.

Fucking hell.

We could have had Calderwood or Alex fucking Miller in charge with the team that Fergie had in the early 80s and they would still have won us the domestic trophies we did. Only the ECWC might have been beyond their tactical wit. So it's 100% down to having shite players in the past 30 odd years that we haven't won any leagues ( even 91/92 the likes of Brian Irvine, Brian Grant, Mason etc just weren't of the required standard even tough we got very very close)

I think under Smith in the late 80s and early 90s we had the players to win trophies and in my opinion a manager like Fergie would have brought us the title in 91 with the squad of players we had at the time. I always thought we under achieved with that squad.

Brian Grant and Paul Mason were outstanding footballers.

But not in the class of Strachan, Simmie or even Stark......those were the calibre of players required to win the league. They were good enough to consistently get us second at a time when Celtic were a shambles but oldco were spending megabucks to try to land the European Cup (which they very nearly pulled off, being cheated by Marseille).

But not in the class of Strachan, Simmie or even Stark......those were the calibre of players required to win the league.

That's your opinion. Mine is also that Grant and Mason were superb footballers.

Strachan was infuriatingly inconsistent and like Stark, threw in some very bad days at the office. I agree that their overall contributions were superb and hugely valuable to the objective of winning the league.

Simpson and Grant performed the same role, a totally different function to the other players quoted. It's harsh to rate Simpson so much higher because both were more than good enough to win major honours.

Of course your opinion on anything is devalued when you fail to understand the difference a great manager makes.

Read somewhere that The Rangers are doing so great in Europe that the UEFA coefficient will soon mean two clubs from Scotland will compete in the UEFA Champions League very soon.

Happy days again for the SFA/SPFL/Celtic and The Rangers. :thumbsup:

And if AFC had any ambition whatsoever, they would invest in making sure we were one of those two teams. An extra 2 or 3 million now would be returned tenfold if we could do what we've already done for four years, which we won't because where others have progressed, we are standing still at best.

And if AFC had any ambition whatsoever, they would invest in making sure we were one of those two teams. An extra 2 or 3 million now would be returned tenfold if we could do what we've already done for four years, which we won't because where others have progressed, we are standing still at best.

I agree with you.

It saddens me to say it but we will now play second fiddle to the Ugly Sisters for the conceivable.  :frown:

Read somewhere that The Rangers are doing so great in Europe that the UEFA coefficient will soon mean two clubs from Scotland will compete in the UEFA Champions League very soon.

Happy days again for the SFA/SPFL/Celtic and The Rangers. :thumbsup:

Dreadful news for the rest of Scottish football. As things stand, Celtic would continue to buy the league title with their Champions League cash for the foreseeable future. Sevco would have no choice but to either spend cash they don't have trying to stop this (the orc hordes are a demanding lot) and go bust in trying, or get so pissed off in failing that they make moves to join the English league system.

Giving sevco access to the cash the Dhims get will even up the odds and ensure the old duopoly returns ad infinitum. And I'm not sure giving DM £2-3 million would get us the second place that RS thinks it might. Because I don't see Mcinnes changing his game management tactics anytime soon. Even with a better calibre of squad. And as we have seen this season, sevco can spend that kind of cash on 1 player, not the 4 or 5 we would do.

Well said. Grant was a superb footballer, one of my favourite players ever, who you really noticed how good he was when not in the team. Did a hell of a lot of the donkey work in the middle of the park which allowed our more creative players, like Jim Bett, do do their thing.

I'm not sure giving DM £2-3 million would get us the second place that RS thinks it might. Because I don't see Mcinnes changing his game management tactics anytime soon. Even with a better calibre of squad. And as we have seen this season, sevco can spend that kind of cash on 1 player, not the 4 or 5 we would do.

I'm certain that we will NOT get 2nd this year, even if we did invest that kind of cash, which we never would do under Milne. All I said was that "if we had any ambition", which when it comes to success on the pitch, we will never have under Milne. Plus I don't think McInnes is good enough, as I've posted repeatedly over many years.

Opportunities come from time to time. The chance to play at the top table in Europe is one we might have thought beyond any other Scottish team. We should be doing the maths on what the return is just for the qualifying stages next July/August.

We are in total agreement over McInnes although I only reached that decision around the new year. He was a vast upgrade on our previous bosses for over 20 years but I finally realised he could take us no further and hoped that he would leave with his dignity intact at the end of last season. (I still believe he would have joined sevco had he found even a hint of competency behind the scenes.....I'm sure it was his refusal that caused them to buck their ideas up allowing them to get the Gerrard/MacAllister team on board)

I've stated on other threads that in view of his relative success, Milne will allow DM a dodgy season. We are stuck with him until at least the winter break of next season. Although McLeish could well resign or get the boot with a couple more disastrous results and create a vacancy that DM would surely be the front runner for, although the SFA would certainly have to up their pay rates to tempt him away.

Sadly sevco have gambled (aided supposedly by a mystery backer) on getting to the later stages of the Europa Cup and with the assistance of an insanely easy draw.....which has continued into the group stages btw......it has paid off and I'm gutted to say, expect Celtic and sevco to now finish 1st and 2nd forever. It will be Celtic in pole position each year though unless Scotland gets a second Champions League place.

Wiggy has got his wish. We now have a strong(ish) sevco.