Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Derek McInnes Q&A

Derek McInnes has called on his players to use their Scottish Cup run as a catalyst in their bid to finish best of the rest in the Scottish Premiership.He said: “It’s no mean feat for us to be second or third in the Pemiership as we have got to work hard to get there and hopefully we can meet that objective again.

“Celtic and Rangers are huge favourites to finish in first and second place in the table and I do think given the differences in finances they should be occupied by them.

I for one expect Aberdeen to be in second spot again this season.

Will be very disappointed if we let Sevco grab that spot.

I for won expect Aberdeen to be in second spot again this season.

Will be very disappointed if we let Sevco grab that spot.

It's amazing the number of times I use "won" instead of "one" these days, must be to do with phones, so I'm going to let you off with that een!

Anyway, he's 100% correct. I mentioned it on another thread, and will continue to mention it, that over a period of 10 years in Engerlund studies showed a 90% correlation between player wages and league position. Neither Murty is bad enough, nor McInnes is good enough to overcome the existing gulf in wages in my opinion. Had they not "spent" in January, with their decent loanees (and employment of Jimmy Nic, which will make a difference) or had they kept the Portuguese wank then we'd have comfortably overcome them.

In simple terms, I think they'll equal, or better, our points total from last season of 76. I think we're worse than last season and I don't think we'll quite reach that.

It's amazing the number of times I use "won" instead of "one" these days, must be to do with phones, so I'm going to let you off with that een!

:laughing: Noticed the Freudian slip after posting.

When Aberdeen win their game in hand over Sevco then beat them after the split we will be one point ahead after the last game of the season  :thumbsup:

“I have a plan for myself and there are certain clubs I would like to manage and certain countries you would like to manage in. You need to have a plan for yourself in a career whether you eventually fulfil those ambitions or not. It’s the same for a player as you need to have a vision for what you want to do. There’s still a lot to do here for me though as I still want to make sure we do a bit more at Aberdeen first.”

When McInnes talks about “certain clubs” it’s hard to shake the feeling Rangers are still among them.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aberdeen-boss-derek-mcinnes-reflects-12216687

The DR just can not help themselves with that last line. :laughing:

Based on nothing, and contrary to the facts, as always. Why do folks read that hun shite still?

Based on nothing? Our manager has been quoted. He gave them an interview. He gave them the time of day. That comment re Rangers was obviously made up shite but didn't you see what he did there?

He wants to do "a bit more at Aberdeen first". Tells us EVERYTHING we need to know.

I agree with RS.

He is waiting for WBA to come calling....doubtful this will happen unless they go down and even then i doubt he would even be in their top 3 choices. He would also go to virtually any championship club that is half decently run. Only reason he turned down Sunderland and sevco is that a blind man could tell they are both financial basket cases at present. Once both get new owners in ( in sevco's case quite possibly after another liquidation/reformation "same club" act) he would walk barefoot over broken glass to get his arse parked in the manager's chair.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

I agree, he would be looking to move on to something bigger and better given the chance.

Is there anything wrong with that though?  McInnes is an ambitious guy who wants to carve out a good career as a manager.  In that respect he is no different to someone like Rodgers or Lennon.  All of them would see themselves in England in the longer term as that is where the challenge lies and where the big money is.  They wouldn't be human if they didn't see their jobs in Scotland as a stepping stone.

It's no different to McKenna saying he is happy at Aberdeen but would like to test himself in England further down the line.

Point of order TC... you can't agree with me cos I didn't say anything!

I suggested that that line told us everything we need to know so now that you have interpreted it, I agree with you.

In part. I didn't see any reason for correlating his interview with any one club, like you did with WBA.

We've always known he's been using us as a stepping stone. I'm just amazed that he thinks he's bigger and better than us. In my book, the manager of our club should be more competent than that midget balls-less charlatan cunt.

The biggest thing I took from that line wasn't his ambition, obvious and now articulated, but his misconception.

He thinks he's done a wonderful job at Aberdeen. He thinks he only has to do a wee bit more. The man is fucking deluded and he reveals himself for what he is, a total loser.

Based on nothing? Our manager has been quoted. He gave them an interview. He gave them the time of day. That comment re Rangers was obviously made up shite but didn't you see what he did there?

He wants to do "a bit more at Aberdeen first". Tells us EVERYTHING we need to know.

You might be right about his self-delusion, but that aside, we've had a manager at our club for the first time since Wiggy that is actually soliciting offers from other clubs (not made up shite like Calderwood's contract negotiations). With the nature of the league and market we are in, we need our manager to be ambitious enough to move on to somewhere better. Not only is it good for him, but it's good for our players too. That is clear from our ability - since McInnes has been here - to sign players on longer contracts that we wouldn't have been able to do previously. He's convincing guys to take a leaf out of his own book and they believe in that and sign. Brown wouldn't have held onto McKenna, and neither would any manager since God. Whether you believe in him or not, the players certainly do. That victory against Killie, after losing a goal in extra time, wouldn't have happened at any point in the last 20 years.

Is McInnes tactically poor at times? Aye, I'd say so. But he's twice the manager that a lot of the shite that swirls around the English (and Scottish of course) leagues, and he's completely correct to see that in himself. You have to look at it relatively, and he's a decent manager by any standard. He's organised our entire club since arriving, and we're ten times more professional than we've ever been - and that's despite having the hooses manny in the boardroom. There are tonnes of managers who can't get the basics right at a football club who have been, and are, in significantly bigger and better jobs than McInnes finds himself in - he's above average. I still think we can improve, but the overwhelming majority of managers on the go these days are not better than him. I'd say Clarke and Rodgers are in the SPFL, but I'm not convinced by the rest. There is a huge number of shite managers out there, and I think McInnes is right to see himself as better than the majority of them (i.e. he's in the top half of managers). I don't see that as a compliment either.

I'd put Lennon above him too purely on his ability to get Hibs to compete well in games against the cheeks but of course there is no doubting in Scottish terms that DM rates as well above average.

There is also no shame in any manager who wishes to improve himself but let there be no doubt......had McInnes not been told that he would have to fund Doc's wages out of his own if he wanted Doc as his assistant at sevco then there is no doubt he would have fecked off to Ibrokes in December.

We have had 5 great years out of DM, far more than the average manager lasts at any club these days. Unfortunately we have seen the best of him as our manager and the only way for us now under him is downwards. He might well get us 2nd place, yet though equally he might get us 4th and we might even win the Cup too but the squad will be decimated in the close season. I think it is time that another incumbent gets the chance to rebuild. Some will say "better the devil you know" and of course a new manager is always a gamble but it is time we took that chance.

I'd put Lennon above him too purely on his ability to get Hibs to compete well in games against the cheeks but of course there is no doubting in Scottish terms that DM rates as well above average.

Lennon has some fairly pap results against diddy teams as well as not being able to handle himself in public. His recent outburst after already serving a touchline ban highlighted that. I think he's a good manager, no better than McInnes.

There is also no shame in any manager who wishes to improve himself but let there be no doubt......had McInnes not been told that he would have to fund Doc's wages out of his own if he wanted Doc as his assistant at sevco then there is no doubt he would have fecked off to Ibrokes in December.

That's an internet rumour.

We have had 5 great years out of DM, far more than the average manager lasts at any club these days. Unfortunately we have seen the best of him as our manager and the only way for us now under him is downwards. He might well get us 2nd place, yet though equally he might get us 4th and we might even win the Cup too but the squad will be decimated in the close season. I think it is time that another incumbent gets the chance to rebuild. Some will say "better the devil you know" and of course a new manager is always a gamble but it is time we took that chance.

I see where you're coming from, but if he wins us the cup this season (and I don't think he will) then he's proved everyone wrong. It would be some achievement, especially when you look at our starting 11 that will be going into the semi. There will be virtually nothing left in the criticism box for us to pick up on. It would suggest that, despite having a poorer squad this season than last, he'd managed to take us forward and would certainly suggest he's the best person for the job. Big "ifs" like. However, even finishing second again would be an achievement with the squad changes this season. I think that will rely on some serious hun fuck-ups.

I don't believe we're disagreeing about too much. The one thing we are most in agreement about is how shite the managerial gene pool is not just in Scotland but the UK. It amazes me how some donkeys keep on getting employment with certain and predictable outcomes and it saddens me how few genuinely talented managers there are in football.

In fairness, he hasn’t really said much more than what he did several months/a year ago. He’s always said he would like to move back down south at the right time.

It’s all about the timing. Previously when he said it, we were doing as well as we could behind the treble winning Tims side; when his stock was high. Now, with his back to the wall the past few weeks, this sounds condescending – it would be interesting to see if this has been regurgitated or whether it’s a new quote.

Hopefully in the coming season, we do not have the same carry on with waiting to see if he will accept another offer. It didn’t help us or him and if it is going to become the norm, he’ll hopefully go sooner rather than later.

The positive recently, is that he has been talking about ‘building a new team’ and this being a ‘re-start’. Hopefully next season we kick on with a better platform and realistically ‘have a go’ at the title.

My biggest fear is not the ‘return to the dark ages’ due to the manager. I don’t think that would happen, but I do think we’d go for a flavour of the month again rather than something different. The infrastructure legacy within the club is more worrying to me. McInnes for all his faults, changed a lot behind the scenes. To have another manager who doesn’t solely focus on the first team and takes an interest in the entire club is relatively rare. Ideally we would have what a few of the smaller clubs like Motherwell and St Johnstone had for a while; where a new face comes in and carry’s on in an upward curve, due to the clubs running themselves off the pitch behind the scenes. Knowing us, we’d have the wildfire clearances behind the scenes again.