Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons - Hertz

Rooney by all accounts did get the 'service' today though and missed sitters.

Any more excuses for him???

The pitch was on a slope?

What exactly is your point? Nobody on here has suggested Rooney is having a great year, or is the answer to all our striking problems. You've got some bizarre thought in yer head that because everyone is saying that Maynard is absolutely shite and shouldn't be getting a game ever, that that means we're suggesting Rooney is the messiah. Nobody is looking for excuses for Rooney, we're all looking at it understanding that he's our only option right now, so we have to play to his strengths. There were no options other than play Rooney through the middle today. None.

Hearts didn't even try to play football. 8/9 men behind the ball, keeper wasting time in the first half with his goal kicks and free kicks. Berra and Cowie at it all game, Lafferty's assault on Shinnie was a definite red, what a hideous excuse for a footballer he is.

Their keeper had a couple of really good saves, another day we'd win 3-0 (Lewis obviously having his own outstanding save in the first half), we persevered with it and at one point were playing 1 at the back in front of Joe. McLean took responsibility today and tried to get us going - dropping deep and trying to make things work.  Didn't always happen but he never hid and I don't think he can be blamed today DD.

McKenna was my MOTM too.  Logan was poor again, i don't think he's helped going forward by GMS's lack of desire to make a move - hugs the touchline and wants it played to feet on the touchline a lot of the time.  McGinn would always at least feint to go forward/backward and then change to create the space. Hopefully we see a step up in performance from Shay once McGinn is back in.

Considine - struggling with a back problem but he was very poor today, as he has been for a lot of the season. So many of our moves broke down with him that it eventually looked like our players just didn't want to pass to him even when he was in space. Our attacking balance with Shinnie at left back is so much better.

N&T - Stewart couldn't have been used as both him and Considine only just passed their fitness tests today and DM couldn't risk starting both.  Stewart didn't look quite right when he came on unfortunately but had a couple of good moments.  Maynard - had a header straight at the keeper - looked very much like a player just concentrating on hitting the target rather than trying to score. He did nothing other than that. Literally nothing.

Rooney wasn't brilliant but he certainly didn't miss sitters.

It’s interestibg how we see players and games so differently. We’re learning a lot about what Rooney can and can’t do this year, less opportunities to play and score so his missed chances and poor play are more evident. His miss was as close to a sitter but maybe not quite - you can argue he’s turning, a snap shot, and the keeper makes a great save but he shouldn’t have hit it near the keeper, really should have scored. I honestly don’t know if Maynard would have been worse. And playing Rooney to his strengths, what are those? As for him getting service, I didn’t see that much at all, we went sideways and backwards most of the time or tried to penetrate with wide play, from the midfielders, or the shite long ball.

Playing Rooney through the middle where he scores goals only happens with us attacking at pace and getting crosses in. We stretch the field for him to get on the end of crosses, or pick off tap ins and rebounds. Playing him centrally makes no difference when supply is so limited. All we see as a result is a forward do little or nothing and have zero impact on the game.

Thought Rooney played mainly through the middle and Kenny more advanced in midfield since Shinnie and O’Connor were alongside him initially. We can criticize Rooney McLean Stewart etc but I point the finger at DM. He hasn’t adapted tactics since losing Hayes and McGinn and yet again I didn’t think we created many chances. Just because McLean outruns Hughes once GMS is sent wide right when he scored a hat trick recently against a better Hibs team from wide left. Leave GMS in his best position and stick Christie in a more advanced wide right role where he’s played before, can cut in on his left, playing to our strengths.

We have a different team and squad this season but it’s the end of December and DM doesn’t appear willing to change. Maybe McGinn will bail out DM but our frustrations stem from us trying to play the same tactics with a different team who after 5 months of the season can’t really play them.

My last point, I think DM and this team peaked in 2014, we’ve lost our central midfielders and wide players. Opponents know McIness and his tactics and how we play. New players came in and and new approach is needed. Case and point Celtic, we play the same tactics and lose every time in the league. Only once did we change and that was the cup final - hate to lose but was certainly very proud of our effort that day. Not saying a new manager is necessarily needed, but he needs to change for things to improve. Is he capable?

My last point, I think DM and this team peaked in 2014, we’ve lost our central midfielders and wide players. Opponents know McIness and his tactics and how we play. New players came in and and new approach is needed. Case and point Celtic, we play the same tactics and lose every time in the league. Only once did we change and that was the cup final - hate to lose but was certainly very proud of our effort that day. Not saying a new manager is necessarily needed, but he needs to change for things to improve. Is he capable?

Peaked in 2014? When we finished third?

Last season we were putting seven goals last teams.

We've missed McGinn and Hayes. One of them is now back.

GMS, Stewart and May have all had poor seasons. There are signs the first two are beginning to find their feet. May hopefully will too. If they do then Aberdeen can only improve.

We've now got four weeks to sign hopefully one or two midfielders.

I'm pretty confident of a much stronger second half of the season than the first.

Agree we should do our utmost regarding signing up Christie permanently

However he is 22, turning 23 in under 2 months. On no account should he be considered a youngster now.

In '83 we had Black, Simmie, Cooper and Hewitt all considerably younger winning European trophies....

I honestly thought Christie was 20 going 21.

You believe that really?

We couldve played Stewart as a forward or Maynard.

There's been plenty people on my case about how great Rooney has been.

Granted, the majority on the other forum lol.

We had those 2 options above.

Would they have been any worse?

DO you not think that despite of our difficulties in putting the ball in the net and Maynard never getting a start may suggest that even DM thinks Maynard is not up to the task?  I have a feeling Maynard will be away in the next few weeks.

DO you not think that despite of our difficulties in putting the ball in the net and Maynard never getting a start may suggest that even DM thinks Maynard is not up to the task?  I have a feeling Maynard will be away in the next few weeks.

Well he's third choice striker isn't he? Rooney and a fit May clearly ahead of him. And the plan was to get Moult too which unfortunately didn't happen.

Fair enough bobby.

I know nobody likes what I say here because its slightly different but happy new year guys.

I don't think any of this is about people not liking what you say, per se. I think people disagree with you, but the frustrating thing is that you're banging the same drum with utterly no evidence to back it up; indeed, all the evidence points to the exact opposite of what you're saying but you're determined to stick with it, and it seems for absolutely no good reason other than just refusing to back down on that one main point.

Anyway, best of luck to you and best wishes for the New Year.

You're probably right.

The thought of them playing in the same team is exiting though.

Particularly if someone from midfield starts to feed May the ball at the right time.

Can’t remember who posted it, but it was regarding the fact we now have defensive and attacking midfielders. The likes of OConnor does nothing but sit in front of the two central midfielders but offers nothing in an attacking sense. McLean is incredibly weak defensively. If we had two Shinnie type players in midfield with the flair of GMS and McGinn on the wings, then you have May and Moult up top. That would be a fucking wet dream!

It was definitely either or. Initially went for May but was knocked back spposedly Alex Neil wanted to assess May. Then went for Moult.....bids of 350 and 400k knocked back. Would have been successful if we went to 500k......

Suddenly PNE decide they dont want May after all. 400k secures him and DM says he was our 1st choice target. Still think he should have pushed the boat out for Moult. PNE wanted shot of May. No one else wanted him. If we had waited we could probably got him for 200k in this window.....

I think May has the potential to be excellent. However, tactically, I don’t think we play him the right way. He’s not a hold up target man or a Rooney type poacher, and not a long ball player. We have to adjust tactics to get the best out of him, or play two up front.....and that doesn’t mean sticking the second forward out wide. Similar argument for Stewart too.