Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Strikers

It's time the other strikers started scoring goals as they're supposed to.

It's good they hold up the ball...make layoffs blah blah but ffs start scoring.

This is where May has done more in 1 game than the other strikers in about 20.

He has everything we need.

I like Maynard, I think he WILL score and be an asset.

I think Rooney and Stockley will feel a bit jealous by May's arrival.

Funnily enough Nips, I like Maynard too. He's done everything but score though in his starts and cameo appearances. He gets in to good areas and seems to be a little quicker than I thought he would be, however, he's really lacking any confidence just now and as Rico says, bringing him on Saturday, when we have a youth winger who's confidence will be sky high on the bench, was rather perplexing.

We had Rooney, Stockley & Maynard all on the bench on Saturday meaning there was no place for Harvie, F.Ross or McLennan. That is strange for me, there's just no need.

Funnily enough Nips, I like Maynard too. He's done everything but score though in his starts and cameo appearances.

Missed an absolute sitter against Hamilton, which didn't help him. It's not that though, he's capable of the odd bit of skill and effort here and there much like Goodwillie, but it's hiding his massive weaknesses. May was available nearly every time Considine got the ball at the weekend. He was available everytime McLean, Tansey or Shinnie got the ball. He made the space in front of the defence his domain, allowing us to retain the ball high up the park. He does this by putting his body between the defender and the ball. He's either getting a free-kick or bringing someone else into the game, or just misplacing a pass. Maynard came on, and immediately the defender was just taking that step beyond him and picking up the pass into his feet. He's a yard short to every single pass, never in front of his man and when he gets the ball he panics (at one point at the weekend just headering the ball into open space just to get rid of it). It's exactly the same as Goodwillie was (other than he doesn't do that stupid falling over and holding his head thing), hiding in open space, pretending to make the run for the over the top ball rather than take the ball into feet. Rooney is a yard short of pace at the moment but he's still making the runs and is just a bit short on finishing and opportunities. Rooney is short of form, Maynard has forgotten what to do. Doing the easy bit like occasionally tanking around to close down a defender will only take you so far. He's not going to make it. I suspect he's only still here because we've only just signed him. I think January will be the end of him. The problem for me is that he's taking that space on the bench because we have signed him. But as Nips says, we're unlikely to see a youngster get on anyway, so maybe it's fine to keep him on the bench.

I just feel it's maybe lack of game time, much like Stewart, GMS etc... May was seriously injured and it looks like it's not hit him confidence wise, he still looks like his tails up. There was maybe a bit of extra attention on Maynard as West Ham paid a few million for him not to long ago and now he's at Aberdeen on a free transfer.

Absolutely May & Rooney ( If he sticks around ) will be the main 2 strikers we change etc... but I still feel Maynard can add to that if he can regain some sort of form.

I like the look of Connor McLennan, the boy is ready built and has some raw pace, maybe we can work on his finishing, but that will take games as well. I feel Stockley still being here will mean that Mclennan will never get a look in, but I agree that Maynard here also means the very same.

It's certainly a really nice headache to have when you have a good bunch of attacking options, but could also lead to heads going down and players not performing to their capabilities.

As you eluded too in an earlier post, Maynard was definitely only signed after we thought we'd lost out on May, then Moult, so it was a " panic " signing if you will, but he has got pedigree, so we will just need to wait and see how it all pans out.