Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Overrated bands?

Kowalski

Elvis was one of those phenomenons in life.

His music wasn't incredible but it was catchy and upbeat as well as melodic for listeners.

He had a superb soulful voice and his image was 1 in a billion.

His timing like all the great artists was perfect.

He was someone to emulate for the lads and the ultimate man to swoon over for the ladies.

The films he was involved in by the plenty were basically cheap advertising campaigns with little substance.

I grew up watching his films and loved them.

He was brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

The Clash....always referred to by those of a certain age as cooler and true to the roots of punk than their contemporaries like the Damned or the Sex Pistols. I just found them soporific.

And U2. Up to and including The Unforgettable Fire they knew their place and were awesome live. Fast forward just a few weeks to the end of 1984 and Bono gets a line in Band Aid. His sanctimonious puss has never shut since.

Agree on Bono but surprised you say The Clash. For a start, they weren't punks. They had musical talent and whilst their first album was of the era, White Riot and Career Opportunities had classic catchy beats more found in pop than punk. Beyond their first LP, they grew into a classic soul sound but highly original and innovative. They stood the test of time and I can listen to them yet. As I can with the Pistols and The Damned. EMI and Neat Neat Neat are as good today as they were 40 years ago.

Strummer was misunderstood because he never fitted any genre. I thought he was a bit mixed up and a bit of a dick but The Ice Age is coming, Vacuum cleaner sucks up budgie, you're fretting, you're sweating... ain't getting anywhere, it ain't Coca Cola, it's rice - he hit parts of us that only he could. A genius composer for me. 

Agree on Bono but surprised you say The Clash. For a start, they weren't punks. They had musical talent and whilst their first album was of the era, White Riot and Career Opportunities had classic catchy beats more found in pop than punk. Beyond their first LP, they grew into a classic soul sound but highly original and innovative. They stood the test of time and I can listen to them yet. As I can with the Pistols and The Damned. EMI and Neat Neat Neat are as good today as they were 40 years ago.

Strummer was misunderstood because he never fitted any genre. I thought he was a bit mixed up and a bit of a dick but The Ice Age is coming, Vacuum cleaner sucks up budgie, you're fretting, you're sweating... ain't getting anywhere, it ain't Coca Cola, it's rice - he hit parts of us that only he could. A genius composer for me.

I agree with the clash being overrated but disagree with U2, saw them a few months ago and was blown away (again) It's all subjective, each to their own, one mans food is another mans poison etc etc.

• 3 months later...

THE BEATLES if anything are underrated and anyone who has studied their music and listened to their albums rathwr than just viewing them from a "she loves you" point of view and still tbinks their overrated just doesnt know quality.

One group i think is soooo overrated and utter shit is ACFUCKINGDC.

Deary deary me.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A boyband v. one of the best bands ever.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: