Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

St Johnstone - Dons - Sat

Is McGinn injured? Seems weird he isn't in the squad.

Good to see us get the lead though and 79% possession. we are a good team,  but decent and we will nail second place. The guy Dodo fae the scum should have done Deeks team talk for him.

[/quote

Groin injury apparently not serious

Would like to say i enjoyed that today, would like to say that but cant really, played ok 1st half, but not so good after break added to some awful decisions by that clown Madden.  How St.J finished with 11 men on the park is beyond me.  Good Dons support as per , players looked a bit nervy at times. Thought McLean & Shinnie very good & thought Hayes & Rooney(again) very bad.

Big 3 points though & we really should be safe in 2nd place. :thumbsup:

Think we really came down to their level in the second half, allowed the game to become scrappy and when we did get forward we chose the wrong option too many times - Shinnie a few times, McLean and Hayes all making the wrong choice in good positions.

The back line was incredibly jittery. O'Connor had some good moments but also some very slack ones. Taylor was grim and Considine looked out of sorts too.

Would liked to have seen Pawlett on before he did.

Played some nice stuff in the first half and St J offered nothing at all in the first. Shinnie will be relieved the linesman flagged at his absolute sitter in the first - not quite Miles Storey level, but quite a miss all the same.

Good 3 points though, but we need to sharpen up ahead of next week.

An important win for us today. struggled a bit in the second half, but we held on and didn't capitulate like last weekend and got the 3 points which was all that mattered. For me we seem to have a real issue keeping the ball in the opposition half at times, just doesn't stick up with Rooney, not his game to be fair, but I do think a lack of pace up front at times costs us. When we play like we did in the first half we are superb, but when we start to get marked more tightly and McGinn and Hayes get stopped from playing their game (I know McGinn didn't play today) it just seems we lose the ball quickly and puts pressure on our back line and if they do clear it, you know it is going to come back at us again fairly quickly as Rooney cannot hold up the ball well. St Johnstone did this well against us today in the second half.

Steven McLean is a classless bastard though.

Bring on the Hibs, I have a feeling it is going to be a great game next Saturday. Two decent attacking teams who can't defend when under pressure, but however bad folk think Taylor is, he is still miles better than Ambrose.

Think we really came down to their level in the second half, allowed the game to become scrappy and when we did get forward we chose the wrong option too many times - Shinnie a few times, McLean and Hayes all making the wrong choice in good positions.

The back line was incredibly jittery. O'Connor had some good moments but also some very slack ones. Taylor was grim and Considine looked out of sorts too.

I didn't go yesterday, St J have a habit of making your eyes bleed when they play us there, but your description here could quite easily apply to last weeks game. Seems they haven't shaken it off completely then?!

I'm guessing DM was preparing for next week by leaving Jonnys BFF out?

I didn't go yesterday, St J have a habit of making your eyes bleed when they play us there, but your description here could quite easily apply to last weeks game. Seems they haven't shaken it off completely then?!

I'm guessing DM was preparing for next week by leaving Jonnys BFF out?

There were definite nerves there amongst the defence, Taylor looked nervous and got rid of it quickly a couple of times where he'd usually attempt to play a bit.  Lewis looked exasperated with them a couple of times, Taylor in particular got the thousand yard stare after giving him a ropey ball back in the first half.  I think Reynolds will come in for O'Connor next week - not that I want that, but it's DM's default position really.

McGinn has a slight groin strain apparently, trained on Thursday but they decided not to risk him.  Think he'll be back for next week though.

A point on Christie - started the game so well, scored a great goal and looked generally bright and dynamic.  But, not for the first time when he's started, he has faded badly in the game, completely dropped out of it by the second half and should have been subbed sooner.  Not sure if it's a fitness thing considering how little he has played across the whole season but it may be why he's not had more starts.

A point on Christie - started the game so well, scored a great goal and looked generally bright and dynamic.  But, not for the first time when he's started, he has faded badly in the game, completely dropped out of it by the second half and should have been subbed sooner.  Not sure if it's a fitness thing considering how little he has played across the whole season but it may be why he's not had more starts.

Hmm, that is interesting. You may well have hit the mail on the head, it certainly makes sense.

Just to add to that, i was listening to the radio and Richard Gordon was making sounds as if there may be a chance that he'll end up with us for next season.

Hmm, that is interesting. You may well have hit the mail on the head, it certainly makes sense.

Just to add to that, i was listening to the radio and Richard Gordon was making sounds as if there may be a chance that he'll end up with us for next season.

I'd like to say that that run he made was EXACTLY what we have been lacking in games I think.

We seem to get to the sidelines and shoot over the bar or play a shit cross in.

Either way, the players have been making wrong decisions or panicking a little.

Christie whether it was luck or not did what we have been missing.

Great run, cold finish...RIGHT DECISION.

I would like to see him as a don next season.

Really good player.

;)

Can't recall who it was, but I did notice on the RedTV highlights Lewis going ape shite at Taylor after he fucked up for what appeared to be the third time in the highlights alone.  I also thought AOC was a bit unlucky with the penalty, slow more than anything else but not stupid despite it being a penalty. Reynolds in for Taylor for me but that won't happen.

Still, an important 3 points more than anything else  :thumbsup:

I heard similiar yesterday re Christie joining us.

I also thought AOC was a bit unlucky with the penalty, slow more than anything else but not stupid despite it being a penalty. Reynolds in for Taylor for me but that won't happen.

I'll say it again about O'Connor, it's positional (not that you're making another argument like, I'm just adding to yer point). It makes me sound as if I hate the guy or am blaming him, but I genuinely think he's a decent defender. That pen happened because he's so uncomfortable on his left. He goes for a ball that any left sided defender would have dealt with, because he attacks it with his right foot. It's so awkward it's unreal. I feel sorry for him as he's really only there as Taylor would be ten times worse, but it's a glaring issue in our setup. I can't imagine a circumstance where Reynolds won't be back in again next week. He simply has to be.

I'll say it again about O'Connor, it's positional (not that you're making another argument like, I'm just adding to yer point). It makes me sound as if I hate the guy or am blaming him, but I genuinely think he's a decent defender. That pen happened because he's so uncomfortable on his left. He goes for a ball that any left sided defender would have dealt with, because he attacks it with his right foot. It's so awkward it's unreal. I feel sorry for him as he's really only there as Taylor would be ten times worse, but it's a glaring issue in our setup. I can't imagine a circumstance where Reynolds won't be back in again next week. He simply has to be.

Hadn't thought of it like that but following on from the chat post Huns game that actually makes a lot of sense. He looked uncomfortable and would explain the slight hesitation in clearing the ball. He's a good player, that much is for certain, but play him in his position. There is no excuse for playing Taylor next week, absolutely none. Never thought I'd see the day again when I'd be so happy to see Reynolds come back.

If Reynolds comes back into the team it wont be at the expense of Taylor.....

However I expect that we will go with the same starting 11 at we did against the fermers with McGinn on the bench.

If we score first I think we will stick 3 or 4 past them. However if they score first I fear it could be a long afternoon..