Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Pubs in Aberdeen from the old days

oldtimer

• 1 year later...

ah memories........

as a neep one of my first memories of drinking establishments would be The Station Hotel in Udny.

Lived nae far and the family would all go on a Saturday night.

Started aff in the lounge then the younger ains wid heid through to the duncing as the night progressed.

I wis only aroon 14-15 so jist found myself a seat and watched as things progressed.

If there wisna a fight the night wid be classed as a let doon.

As i got older we moved to the Brig a Don, Black Dog (Cammys :o) wis ma local for aroon 20 years, wid also frequent The Corner Hoose (Brig Inn), Don View (nae much) and off course The Mabel Leaf (Parkway) which at times wis a bit like the gunfight at the OK Coral.

Tobys and The Mains came later.

Sunday efternoon wis a bit of a challenge as all the pubs shut 12:30, transport wis then required tae get us to tae The Whitecairns or now and then The Cove Bay Hotel.

Gettin hame wis always a carry on as the driver wid get bored and fuck off after a while.

Many a day/night doon the harbour (Neptune & Pegusus, St Clements, Crows Nest, Peep Peeps, Cutters Wharf,Glenlivet, Yard Arm, Regent Bridge, Crown & Anchor, Harbour Bar, Sir Laffalots, Drift Inn) sadly mostly gone now.

Up the toon Ruffles wis a favourite o mine, liked The Venue and mest boozers along Market Street.

There used to be a boozer at the top of George Street, on the left if yer heiding into toon, canna mine the name.

Couldna see in the windows, strange looking place.

"Cutting edge fashion?  :laughing: "           

....as opposed to renewing your Wrangler Jean/Jacket combo fae Mr Beaujangles  etc    :thumbsup:

Mind the Black Dog and when it was Cammies.Pool thru the back and a band in the lounge at the w/e.Me and another guy worked on a farm up near Parkhill,and used to motorbike in to the Don View thru the week in our stinking boiler suits for a couple of pints/darts.Owner was desperate enough for the custom not to worry about the farmyard stink.

Mundurno mill now and again,though it was a bit up market for us peasants.

Tobys and the Scotstoun later

Well to give it its proper title

The 524 cocktail lounge.

Is it still open?

I went for a pint 2-3 years back, waiting for a carry out to be ready, they were actually pretty friendly.

Na, nae The 524, its still open.

It was further up on the same side, think it was still open in the earlie eighties.

Annoying the fuck oot o me now.

Well to give it its proper title

The 524 cocktail lounge.

Is it still open?

I went for a pint 2-3 years back, waiting for a carry out to be ready, they were actually pretty friendly.

As an 18 year old back in 1991, me and a mate took a couple of girls who we were on first dates with, to the 524, as we met them up that end of George St. We quickly established it wasn't a cocktail bar and the two lasses ditched us when we got into town.  We're just nipping to the toilet.....Never to be seen again.  :(

How far up are ye spikken aboot? wisnae the Swan Bar was it?

Swan was near the centre wis it nae?

Mates o mine used tae work near Kittibrewster, they used to hae a drink in that bar efter work.

Wis somewhere between the top end o George Street and the 524 if I mine right.

As an 18 year old back in 1991, me and a mate took a couple of girls who we were on first dates with, to the 524, as we met them up that end of George St. We quickly established it wasn't a cocktail bar and the two lasses ditched us when we got into town.  We're just nipping to the toilet.....Never to be seen again.  :(

Christ min!

When I was 18 I wouldn't have taken a lassie anywhere where she was liable to order cocktails.

Mind you, I still wouldn't.

Blue lagoons and Black Russians in my day.

Posh when you think they would usually drink vodka, a scoosh of diluting orange or lime and nae ice because "it watters it doon"

Christ min!

When I was 18 I wouldn't have taken a lassie anywhere where she was liable to order cocktails.

Mind you, I still wouldn't.

Blue lagoons and Black Russians in my day.

Posh when you think they would usually drink vodka, a scoosh of diluting orange or lime and nae ice because "it watters it doon"

I wouldn't have known what cocktail was back then. I am also sure I am not the only feel in toon who has went in the 524, thinking it was an upmarket establishment, although I have never met anyone else daft enough to admit it.