Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen City Deal

Jagerdeen

Mrs rocket and I can't understand where the occupants are going to come from for the glass boxes at the Capitol and opposite Marishal College. Unfortunately, there's some deal where we are going to pay for the non-occupancy. If the builders/contractors could see the way the wind was blowing, why can't our elected representatives? What did they personally get out of it? How else can this monstrous building have been given the go ahead?

Dinna have time to respond to everything on yer previous points, so will just give ye a quick reply. I'm saying my personal impression of Ian Wood was he was a nice chap the times I met him. The points I made about him the public being railroaded and repulsive monetary intimidation were aimed at the press rather than Ian Wood. I'm suggesting that the press put the £50M front and centre and the press that presented the bias view. I have no evidence to back up the notion that Ian Wood himself applied pressure, so no reason to accuse him of that.

The bit yer missing though is that the public did vote for the Wood project to go ahead. There was a referendum in the city, which returned in favour of it. Once that had been decided, they had a further consultation to choose the design - run by ACSEF (I think that was their name) - where the public chose the wrong design which was ignored. The project was still destined to go ahead until the Labour (current) administration got majority elected in the following local election and they put in a caveat about cost over-runs and initial funding. I suspect that a re-elected majority SNP local government would attempt to re-instate the project.

Anyway, I'd thank the Labour majority if it wasn't for yer point above. I assumed that the rejection of the UTG project was because they cared about the city. The muse development you mention above shows that the UTG rejection was nothing but a shameful political act to win power. I have it on reasonable authority that a few departments in Marischal College have been approached about relocating to the cunt-box across the road to cover up the fact that we're due to take on the rent for lack of occupancy. Like DD, I haven't met a single person who thinks it was an acceptable piece of building.

Dinna have time to respond to everything on yer previous points...

Please don't bother. I'm confused. I obviously have read it all wrong.

I'm pretty certain you're confused too though. You expressly said that Ian Wood threatened to send the money to Africa "unless" (your "in less" being an obvious typo) and that it was repulsive behaviour, "monetary intimidation" as you called it. Once you've made up your mind, either argue with dd's position on Wood or agree with it. His doesn't miss and from the little I've now read on it, I'm starting to see his position as the right one.

My ma worked with Ian Wood when he was a loon, said he was a cunt, but his auld man was a gent, nae idea if it is true or not, but this was long before the UTG debate. I have also worked with folk fae Wood Group and they all said he was alright, but had no interests except work. He is a big supporter of the conservative party and that is a big no for me.

It would have been nice if he had gave the city £50 million to do something with the gardens without conditions, but it is his money and earned fairly, although he did get a big helping hand from his father, but I didn't like the shyte which he said about the proposals if they didn't go through, something not quite right about that, it sounds like the kid we the fitba and if his team isn't winning he picks the ball up and goes home.

The last thing Aberdeen City Centre needed was to cover over one of it's few green spaces with more concrete, but have to agree with other post that the MArshall square development is a disgrace which somebody at the council must have been on the take to get that through.  There is a picture from the 60s in the library at the moment showing the area before the old council building was built, hard to believe those in power now have made the same mistakes as their counterparts from the 60s, but in defence of the folk in the 60s they were part of a generation that thought they were building modern buildings for the future, which we now know didn't pan out, but to make the same mistake again is unforgivable.

I don't know the cunt but his closed eyes shit disturbs me.

Always seems to speak sense and be articulate in his (many) interviews but let's face it, he's hardly going to present his cuntishness. Wouldn't want a pint with him. Looks like a right boring bastard to me. A face that's never smiled naturally and from what I've been reading, an enemy of the arts. Fucking disgrace if true that he got in the road of the Peacock project. He should spend time in the RA and Tate Modern and the Prado and the Van Gogh Museum etc. etc. instead of sitting at hame counting his money and wondering how he can dress even worse between his incredibly boring suits and ties. My instinct screams sad fud.

The last thing Aberdeen City Centre needed was to cover over one of it's few green spaces with more concrete, but have to agree with other post that the MArshall square development is a disgrace which somebody at the council must have been on the take to get that through.  There is a picture from the 60s in the library at the moment showing the area before the old council building was built, hard to believe those in power now have made the same mistakes as their counterparts from the 60s, but in defence of the folk in the 60s they were part of a generation that thought they were building modern buildings for the future, which we now know didn't pan out, but to make the same mistake again is unforgivable.

I believe the original plan was for St Nicholas House (old council building) was that it be a modernist glazed tower similar to the Skyscrapers in Chicago, New York and the like, however someone (client, planners etc) declared it would not be in keeping with the City's Granite Architecture and/or the other towers (high rise flats at the Gallowgate & Justice Street) so they went with the Brutalist Concrete instead.