Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons v ICT

I thought I'd start this one early, to take account of our (lack of) activity in the transfer market. I didn't want to whoor new threads all over the shop, so this can just make its way South after the Caley game.

The question is:

What's team do you think McInnes will play for ICT game (lets assume Reynolds, Jack and Hayes are all out)?

vs

What's our best team with everyone fit?

I'll start, obviously.

ICT game:

-----------------Lewis-----------------------

Logan----Taylor----O'Connor----Considine

-----------McLean-----Shinnie--------------

McGinn----------Maddison-----------Burns

----------------Rooney----------------------

I think McInnes will prefer O'Connor in the centre, rather than move Considine back and Shinnie across. Although Depending on Morris' fitness, perhaps he might like him in there and O'Connor in midfield, however I can't see him dropping McLean ever, and I think he'll want to start the new guy as I suspect that was a large part of the deal (that he'd get every opportunity for game time). The rest picks itself more or less.

Best team:

Logan----Taylor-----Considine-----Shinnie

----------O'Connor-----Jack----------------

McGinn---------Maddison------------Hayes

As a starting eleven, I'm going with this, in McInnes' favoured system. I've previously said that O'Connor is the best centre half at the club and that we should play him there, however I don't think we've signed well enough in midfield to use that option. I think the Shinnie and Hayes partnership on the left outweighs the Shinnie and Jack partnership in midfield and I think that if we're shoe-horning a player in, it should be O'Connor in midfield because he's still a better option there (alongside Jack) than McLean, Storie, Pawlett or I assume Maddison. I've guessed that Maddison is ace, but that is possibly harsh on Burns who's played quite well recently. In defence, I couldn't care less whether it's Reynolds or Considine, but Considine has been better of late and is stronger on the ball and in the air. I'm not affording Morris the same assumption as Maddison, I'm just - harshly - assuming he's pap, although I'd love it if he was better than Taylor.

It really is just that one centre midfielder that fucks things up for us. Whilst we'd still have been slightly short on cover, our first eleven would have looked so much more balanced. It's not good that our first eleven has to involve playing one player out of their best position, very frustrating.

Interesting that despite Taylor being a complete liability that you still have him in our best squad.  Obviously I know Consi , Reynolds and McKenna are all left footed and it probably provides better balance but he's so much of a liability that it cancels that out.

I'd be relatively happy with the chosen line up against Caley, less McLean (it should be Storie) but that's not the point I know you're making.  You're probably right and that will be the side he goes with.

It's not deliberate! I'm hoping Morris turns out to be good. I think Taylor had a better game than Reynolds at the weekend also, and I think that Taylor at right centre back is marginally better than either Considine or Reynolds at right centre back (especially Reynolds, who is uncomfortable on his left, never mind his right foot). I suppose when I said I thought Shinnie at left back was more valuable than O'Connor in defence, I was looking purely at the fact that O'Connor can play quite well in midfield, rather than the shambles it leaves in his absence! It just highlights the difference a single player could make. An alternative could be:

Logan---O'Connor---Considine-----Shinnie

-------------Jack-----Hayes-----------------

McGinn---------Maddison------------Burns

That takes Taylor out of the game. That'll do nicely.

Storie has to be given his chance now since we failed to add the much needed ball winning midfielder, alongside Shinnie with Maddison ahead of them. ICT are weak so give him his start. O'Connor must be at the back too.

Bizarre and disappointing window. Curious to see how Maddison does and a bottom of the league ICT is the perfect game to throw him in too. Interesting that we took him for 4 months when we could have got Shinnie for 12 and the possibility of a permanent deal.

O'Connor must be at the back. The difference he makes there is huge.

ICT were a bogey team of sorts last season - wouldn't be presumptuous about this game. Would like to see Storie start. Hayes is resuming full training on Monday so I suppose there's a chance he could make it.

Very much this. If Hayes can play, even for the final 20/30 mins it would be a huge boost. Especially against a team we struggled to break down

Craig Storie was today challenged to prove he’s up to filling Ryan Jack’s boots in the Dons side.

Skipper Jack will be sidelined for a lengthy spell after having knee surgery.

Dons boss Derek McInnes signed James Maddison on loan from Norwich City to help cover while Jack is out.

But he admitted he would also be happy to see Scotland U21 international Storie prove he’s hungry for the opportunity to play more regularly in the first team.

McInnes said: “We are always looking for signs of that ambition from all of our younger players.”

Storie impressed when he came into the side at the turn of the year, when Jack and Willo Flood, who has since moved to Dundee United, were out injured.

The 20-year-old excelled against Celtic skipper Scott Brown when the Dons beat them 2-1 at Pittodrie in February.

Storie was awarded a new contract until 2018 on the back of that and was also voted the club’s Young Player of the Season.

McInnes said: “Craig was given a new contract because we believe he can establish himself here.

“It took a couple of injuries last season for him to get a wee run of games and it may well be that again.

“He and the other younger players at the club have got to sense when there are real opportunities for them to push on.

“They then have to make sure they do all they can to grab them.”

McInnes admitted he would love to see Storie, who is now away on international duty with the Scotland Under-21 squad, doing as well as he did in that clash with Celtic last term.

The young Scots face Macedonia at Tynecastle on Friday night and Ukraine away next Tuesday in their Euro qualifiers.

McInnes said: “The thing about Craig is he can do a bit of everything.

“He’s a good competitor and uses the ball very well.

“Craig has tremendous potential.”

Maddison is expected to make his debut when the Dons return to action after the international break by hosting Inverness Caley Thistle on Saturday.

Winger Jonny Hayes is also expected to feature after a spell out with a hamstring injury.

The Republic of Ireland international has returned to full training. Midfielder Peter Pawlett remains a major doubt because of a hip injury.

Defender Mark Reynolds is suspended after getting sent off in Aberdeen’s last match, against Celtic.

Some of the Dons first team squad will feature in tonight’s SPFL Development League clash with St Mirren at Brechin’s Glebe Park.

It is like a new signing, if that new signing already lived in the area with his family and had done for several years, played for the club previously before leaving and returning within a month, had played with every single player in the team before (bar one) and could be 100% of fitting in with the rest of the squad. Just like a new signing.

It is like a new signing, if that new signing already lived in the area with his family and had done for several years, played for the club previously before leaving and returning within a month, had played with every single player in the team before (bar one) and could be 100% of fitting in with the rest of the squad. Just like a new signing.

:rofl:

Need a performance today to wipe out the memory of the capitulation at Parkhead. If Hayes is fit he has to start but hopefully we revert to 2 up with McGinn and Hayes wide in a midfield 4. Reynolds suspension should mean OConnor dropping in to back 4 beside Taylor. Not making the game today so bound to get a performance.

Oot

Flat

Local game somewhere in Edinburgh

Flat

2-0 Rooney and Hayes.

Need a performance today to wipe out the memory of the capitulation at Parkhead. If Hayes is fit he has to start but hopefully we revert to 2 up with McGinn and Hayes wide in a midfield 4. Reynolds suspension should mean OConnor dropping in to back 4 beside Taylor. Not making the game today so bound to get a performance.

Oot

Flat

Local game somewhere in Edinburgh

Flat

2-0 Rooney and Hayes.

We can but hope. Highlights of the game on alba tonight

Poor game and poor performance. Maddison certainly looks a good addition, definitely the creative spark we needed in the middle of the park. However, Hayes not fit and should have played an hour at most, and McLean offered little. I'm a big fan of McGinn and despite the goal needs dropped/rested. The team needs a shake up, really would like to see Storie and Storey in for McLean and McGinn with a front 4 of Storey Maddison Rooney and Burns with Storie and Shinnie behind them. Hayes in for Burns/Storey when fit and McGinn back in when fresh.

We just need a shake up. As said, one win in 5 isn't good enough. Top 4 will be a struggle based on what we're seeing from the team and with the tactics from the manager.

Contrast from last season

2015/16

Played: 5

Won: 5

Goals for: 9

Goals against: 1

2016/17

Played: 5

Won: 1

Drawn: 3

Lost: 1

Goals For: 4

Goals Against: 6

I find myself hitting my head against the brick wall with McInnes and what seems to be a blatant refusal to change anything.

We're really struggling for midfield solidity and yet Storie remains on the bench.

I appreciate that the manager sees the players in training and if a player isn't producing there then he shouldn't be playing. But if that's the case then why is Storie on the bench at all? If you have no intention of playing him just leave him out altogether; it's not as if you can say you have him on the bench to give him experience of a match day when the guy has already played a handful of games.

McLean gets in the side regardless of performances.  There is no consequence management at our club. Never a good thing for a football team.

Interesting game like, very much a game of two halves.

Shinnie started at left back, which was great to see, but O'Connor was poor in midfield, sitting far too deep and staying there. It was a bit of a blessing when Shinnie got injured and we moved O'Connor back. Hopefully he'll remain there, and we utilise Storie in the coming weeks.

Taylor's passing was awful, but we insisted on isolating him, giving absolutely no options when he got the ball - I genuinely felt sorry for him yesterday, McGinn spent the whole first half in-field (or most of it, he switched wings toward the end of the first half, and Hayes provided an outball constantly).

The second half, we were far more direct, with no passing from the back whatsoever. It was punted at Rooney in order to get the second ball in midfield, and it actually worked for long spells. McGinn had a great finish, but wasted two other good positions with lazy attempts at goal where laying off to others was the better option. He slowed down so many quick breaks, it was frustrating. Burns had several great runs, but once again was sacrificed rather than McGinn - Pawlett coming on and had a decent game.

A fantastic finish from Vigurs gave them a deserved point (deserving, mainly due to our lack of scoring).

Madison was okay, looks decent on the ball, with an eye for a pass. However, he is very lightweight, and his work rate was poor. I think he'll definitely be a good player one day, I just don't believe he'll fulfill that in the 4 months with us. I wouldn't be starting him in the next game

Thought McLean had a decent second half, put himself about a lot and generally covered well. He seemed to get better as Hayes tired and Madison provided little assistance. Perhaps he's the type of player that thrives on being asked to hold the midfield together. He certainly played well alongside Storie against Celtic, and there was a marked improvement in effort yesterday.

Some signs of real attacking creativity at times yesterday (aye, like, 3 times). Really lacking in centre mid though, and we need to get a settled game plan as we were all over the place for long spells yesterday.