Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Anthony O'Connor

I disagree but if you were right and I was wrong then he should never have been recruited.

I think he was threatening to be a competent signing at first. It all went totally pear shaped after he was hung out to dry for one mistake against Celtic in the 3-0 final, which we were already beat in and never had a chance. He has never been the same since and it was shockingly poor management on two counts.

First, he reintroduced Ash Taylor after a five week absence. Although he (Ash) didn't have one of his howlers in that final, it was a crazy decision that a) would naturally have had the rest of the team wondering what the fuck was going on, and b) totally altered the balance of the defence that had been doing ok in the run up.

Secondly, the damage that McInnes did to AOC's confidence was measurable. We have seen in the months and years since. AOC has turned into a terrible footballer and he's not the first footballer that has gone severely backwards under our midget charlatan piss weak arsehole manager.

You can add Reynolds, Logan, Considine, Arnason, Shinnie, McGinn, Christie, Rooney, May, even Lewis to that list. As for the voluminous shite signings he's made - Zola at the start of his tenure and Maynard hopefully in the last year of his management (but it won't be) being signings beyond belief - they were never good to start with.

McKenna has also had two very poor games in a row and as he's the only decent asset on our books, he better not succumb to the McInnes malaise.

As for giving youth a chance, he doesn't. McKenna had to get a start after the 3-0 drubbing at Fir Park and he played excellent to keep his place. Scott Wright scored a hat trick, got dropped, got another rare chance, put the winner on a plate at Hamilton and then got dropped again. He had FOUR starts in his first four seasons at AFC. When he started at Pittodrie v. Sevco, everyone - including the players - knew was talking to them and was interested in moving and so his poor performance was one of many that day...

...apart from another youngster. Frank Ross came on in the second half, scored an absolute peach which kinda forced his hand to play him the next game at Dens where he got hooked at HT and never seen again. Another young footballer who we'll never know how good he might be given the unimaginably sparse amount of time given and the obvious undermining of his confidence.

Agree with a lot of that, especially the bit about AOC , he looked like he could be a competent albeit slow player when he arrived. We saw his limitations but seemed to have a bit of bite about him. That final, he was honking, but as was all of the team but made a scapegoat. That was the turning point. His fault or not, he is absolutely horeshit now and I want him nowhere near the club. If he plays another game for us it would be a disgrace. Opinions are fine, choose your fucking timing though you stupid tinker. This episode hasn’t changed what I already thought of him.

Your point about youth, although mentioned a lot, when broken down like that is really a shocking indictment of his managerial style. Mentioned in another thread, ditch the players who aren’t here next season. They’re failing already, might as well fail with our own (I don’t think they would)

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this up a little. O'Connor announced yesterday that he would be leaving at the end of the season. Unsurprising that nobody seemed to gie a fuck! At fault for the goal against Hibns, hopefully he'll give us a good performance tonight in his last home game. Good luck to him. His one-footedness and lack of pace mean he'll not get a better team than the dons in his career. Hopefully Devlin is a significant step up and we get a good squad player to replace him.

Not really a surprise with O'Connor. Not the worst player we have ever had, but we should be looking for better, easier said than done though.  I can only imagine him joining Ash in some place like Northampton, but best of luck to him anyway.

Hopefully he can sign off at Pittodrie tonight with a win and give us shit supporters something to smile about.

I doubt we will be keeping any of our out of contract players this year, no real misses though.