Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Despite the doom and gloom...

...all is not lost.  We blew it on Tuesday, best chance of a trophy in years.  We were undone by individual errors again, but we still have some quality players, and we still have plenty to play for.

-We will give Celtic a game on Sunday.

-We will give a good account of ourselves against Bayern next Thursday.

-We can go to Munich and enjoy a great occasion in a great stadium.

-We have nothing to lose in our 1/4 final aginst Celtic, Hearts put them out of the CIS cup ffs.

-I'm not prepared to surrender third place in the league just yet, considering we're competing with a team of cloggers (Utd) and a side that will struggle to sustain their good form through a period of fixture chaos ('well).

Stick with it lads, through thick and thin.  Unlike that prick in the EE last night who's bragging about "never returning to Pittodrie" and giving up his season ticket.  Good riddance I say, the club should ban the fecker for life in case he decides to go back on his word.

Stand free.  :thumbsup:

"The semi-final was a disgrace and Aberdeen's season is over now.  We will not beat Celtic in the Scottish cup and have no chance against Bayern.  My season and Bayern tickets are up for grabs.  Hopefully I could give them to a charity or a disabled fan who will get good use of them."  Frustrated dons 'fan' Mike Kain.

I mean, what the fuck?  Give them to a disabled fan?  Twat.  Because disabled fans cant afford season tickets?  Fucking muppet.  Go and support the old firm, they win most weeks.

"The semi-final was a disgrace and Aberdeen's season is over now.  We will not beat Celtic in the Scottish cup and have no chance against Bayern.  My season and Bayern tickets are up for grabs.  Hopefully I could give them to a charity or a disabled fan who will get good use of them."  Frustrated dons 'fan' Mike Kain.

I mean, what the fuck?  Give them to a disabled fan?  Twat.  Because disabled fans cant afford season tickets?  Fucking muppet.  Go and support the old firm, they win most weeks.

LMAO, disabled fan, deary fucking dear, we really have a lot of total muppets in our support.  ::)

Typical kind of knee jerk reaction that gets our fans a bad name.

...all is not lost.  We blew it on Tuesday, best chance of a trophy in years.  We were undone by individual errors again, but we still have some quality players, and we still have plenty to play for.

-We will give Celtic a game on Sunday.

-We will give a good account of ourselves against Bayern next Thursday.

-We can go to Munich and enjoy a great occasion in a great stadium.

-We have nothing to lose in our 1/4 final aginst Celtic, Hearts put them out of the CIS cup ffs.

-I'm not prepared to surrender third place in the league just yet, considering we're competing with a team of cloggers (Utd) and a side that will struggle to sustain their good form through a period of fixture chaos ('well).

Stick with it lads, through thick and thin.  Unlike that prick in the EE last night who's bragging about "never returning to Pittodrie" and giving up his season ticket.  Good riddance I say, the club should ban the fecker for life in case he decides to go back on his word.

Stand free.  :thumbsup:

Cts ,    I have to admit I did have a heat of the moment, pessimistic rant saying the opposite to almost all of the   

above, on donstalk on Tuesday night.  But I never one minute considered not giving the team my full support.

Once a don always a don, like you say through thick and thin.  I am feeling more positive now and hopefully

Cts ,    I have to admit I did have a heat of the moment, pessimistic rant saying the opposite to almost all of the   

above, on donstalk on Tuesday night.   But I never one minute considered not giving the team my full support.

Once a don always a don, like you say through thick and thin.  I am feeling more positive now and hopefully

Sorry .... hit post before I'd finished ......  I am feeling more positive now and hopefully we can still take some plus points from the season.

:thumbsup:

Of the four competitions we were still in at the turn of the year (SPL, CIS, Scots Cup and UEFA Cup) this is the one I care about the least. I mean ... who remembers last year's CIS Cup winners? Infact, I cannae really remember who won it since we last won it thirteen years ago!

If we're out of ALL competitions by the second week of March, I'll be pissed off. But right now, who really cares about the CIS Cup?

I've heard it said that JC's got some kind of unsackable option in his contract. Could i be a bit optimistic here and suggest that maybe JC knows exactly the limitations of our squad and has a plan in place for next season? If i'm right, i suspect we may see a lot more doom and gloom before the end of the season, but reasons to be hopeful in May/June/July...

Of the four competitions we were still in at the turn of the year (SPL, CIS, Scots Cup and UEFA Cup) this is the one I care about the least. I mean ... who remembers last year's CIS Cup winners? Infact, I cannae really remember who won it since we last won it thirteen years ago!

If we're out of ALL competitions by the second week of March, I'll be pissed off. But right now, who really cares about the CIS Cup?

i do.

our best chance at silverware for 13 years made it very important IMO.

At the end of the day a national trophy is a national trophy. Sure beats the hell out of anything we've won in the past few years. But still, let's see what state of affairs we're in by the end of the season. If we're not in the top 3-5. Questions will have to be asked. Over to you JC. Lets see what you're really made of.

After todays result can I just reiterate the original sentiment of this thread?  Another sore one today that's for sure, Tims were a class above us.  However let's not lose sight of the facts.  The depth of quality in their squad is frightening, Killen, Robson and Samaras on the bench, Riorden not even in the 23 man squad, these are big name players with values to match, players who would walk into any non old-firm side.

We know we can't live with the OF over the course of a season, we hope that 'on our day' we can.  Today we couldn't, but not many teams would have taken anything from Celtic today.  This is not a level playing field.  Their 4.5 million pound midfielder was excellent, their Ireland International winger was class.  Maybe if we'd brought on our 1.5 million quid January signing he'd have scored with his first touch?

Remember this, anybody could be a Celtic fan.  It would be easy peasy.  Just turn up and watch your team steamroller the opposition every week.  Great.  But we're different, we dont do things the easy way.  Aberdeen is our team.  It's part of us, it's in us, it's never going to go away.  This is what makes us so fantastic.

We are Aberdeen fans, and we're the dog's bollocks.

In a perverse way today has made me more confident about the Bayern game and the Scottish cup tie.  Something will go right for us, and after a horrendous week (our worst for a long time) I just have a feeling there could still be something special round the corner. 

Dont give up, keep believing, stand free.

After todays result can I just reiterate the original sentiment of this thread?  Another sore one today that's for sure, Tims were a class above us.  However let's not lose sight of the facts.  The depth of quality in their squad is frightening, Killen, Robson and Samaras on the bench, Riorden not even in the 23 man squad, these are big name players with values to match, players who would walk into any non old-firm side.

We know we can't live with the OF over the course of a season, we hope that 'on our day' we can.  Today we couldn't, but not many teams would have taken anything from Celtic today.  This is not a level playing field.  Their 4.5 million pound midfielder was excellent, their Ireland International winger was class.  Maybe if we'd brought on our 1.5 million quid January signing he'd have scored with his first touch?

Remember this, anybody could be a Celtic fan.  It would be easy peasy.  Just turn up and watch your team steamroller the opposition every week.  Great.  But we're different, we dont do things the easy way.  Aberdeen is our team.  It's part of us, it's in us, it's never going to go away.  This is what makes us so fantastic.

We are Aberdeen fans, and we're the dog's bollocks.

In a perverse way today has made me more confident about the Bayern game and the Scottish cup tie.  Something will go right for us, and after a horrendous week (our worst for a long time) I just have a feeling there could still be something special round the corner. 

Dont give up, keep believing, stand free.

I am trying so so hard to believe...... think I'm just hanging on to your shirt tail  by a couple of fingers as you drag me along mate ;)

However come 6pm the belief will have gone into overdrive again :thumbsup:

Great post CtS, you should work in the marketing department at Pittodrie as AFC if they want to start up a marketing department aimed at the fans with you at the helm.

I'm just fucked off with shite going on off the park more than anything.  It seems like they'll do anything to keep us sitting at stalemate.  We had a great chance to build on last season and it just looks like we've taken a giant leap backwards.

The success we've had under JC hasn't been a flash in the pan.  We've gradually got better on paper every season and if the board was even going to show any ambition, January was the time.

I fully understand why we've been cost-cutting for years, why the toaster was binned, why we've been selling of our prize assets to anyone that will take them.  But the football side is constantly suffering and fans are heading for the exits.  Meanwhile we're being told that this is all being done to manage the debt but the last I checked, it's gone up year-on-year.

I do wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Calderwood.  I think he’s done great, and we’ve made real progress to have been competing in 4 competitions in February but if it all comes crashing down then fans will forget what’s been achieved and call for change which may or may not be the right thing to do.  We’re obviously not going to beat Bayern, but he needs to turn things around in the league, and some how beat Celtic in the cup!  I think 4th gets us into Europe, so that might have to be the target now.

This season has had some massive highs, and some awful lows.  But it makes a change when we used to have the season all over in January!

I'm still in the "give him until the end of the season" camp though.

If we can get European qualification out of this season somehow, then that'll do for me!  :thumbsup:

Totally, cts, great post. If I didn't wake up feeling like that already, I certainly feel like that now. Not sure about the Bayern bit, but that aside, spot on. Calderwood needs until the end of the season, but he doesn't make things easy for himself, when I think the team near enough picks itself. Its almost as though he tinkers around to be seen to do something. Anyway, fuck the cup run, we need to focus on the league. I won't shed a tear losing to Celtic in the cup. Would much rather push up the league as I think our league form will suffer further if we remain in the competition. As you said, we just simply do not have the depth.

But here's to a good week and lets get fired up and enjoy what we have ahead of us. Come on you Reds!  :thumbsup:

And unbelievably, we are still in with a fighting chance of third place.

Now the dust is settled, a defeat to Celtic is not the end of the world.  The manner of it was cheap, but us fans have a big fortnight to look forward to and we can't let this last two results put a dampener on what should be the biggest double-header our club has seen for 22 years.

You've got me excited now CtS.

Now I'm off to get my Euros, who's coming with me?  :thumbsup:

Whatever happened to 'the slater' ?

Seriously though, well said mate. Times are tough just now and its hard to take a step back and look at where we actually are. When we take a hiding the way we have in our last two games you are always left thinking that fans of other teams will be pissing themselves at us. There isn't a fan in the Scottish league (outside the old firm) who wouldn't swap places with us this season and they know it.

Onwards and upwards...sort of  :-\