Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Adam Rooney - Top 30 Strikers in Europe

Adam has been named by UEFA as the 22nd best striker in Europe for 2015.

They have collated the records from the 12 top European leagues and have named the 30 top strikers.

Needless to say Ronaldo and Messi lead the way, but our man Rooney is level 22nd with Chicharito of Leverkusen, Benzema of Real Madrid, Fernandao of Fenerbahce and De Bruyne of Man City.

Superb effort from Adam, keep it going!!

Usual protocol then.. the level of panic will depend heavily on remaining length of contract term. I've nae idea how long he has left but I trust the board not to let him or anyone go on the cheap. Especially to the Green Unwashed.

Summer of 2018 Tyrant, so two and half years.

What makes you think that?

His form the past two years has been phenomenal. There will be plenty of championship clubs well aware of his form that have the cash to spare for him. Let's face it, 4 mill from a derby or a Boro, hell even a bournemouth might be interested given their injury crisis, would be really hard to turn down. Regardless of how settled he is here there's no danger he would turn down such a move.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the tims bid for him but I can't see milne selling to them mid season.

• 1 month later...

I know it's only a short article, but this is exactly what I want to be reading from our players.  That failure and disappointment alone should drive them onward. Just hope we keep it up. It's a tall order but who the fuck knows what's going to happen!

Striker Adam Rooney today revealed their failure to top the Premiership in the past inspired the Dons to move level on points with rivals Celtic.

Aberdeen extended their three-month unbeaten league run to 12 games with a 4-3 win at St Johnstone to pile the pressure on the Hoops.

The Reds had spurned two previous opportunities to leapfrog Celtic to the top of the table during the festive period.

Victories over either Inverness or Partick at the turn of the year would have elevated the Reds to the top of the league. They drew both matches.

However, there were no slip-ups in Perth as the Dons moved level on points with the Hoops, just days after stunning the defending champions 2-1 at Pittodrie.

With a return of 30 points from the last 36, Rooney insisted there will be no let-up, or complacency, as the title race hots up.

Rooney, who netted a brace against Saints, said: “We want to be as high up the league as possible and to take the chance to do that when it comes along.

“Earlier on in the season we missed out on the opportunity to do that.

“It was disappointing at the time but we used that as motivation to keep us going and have thankfully got ourselves into a good position again.

“We are in great form and long may it continue.

“Now we just have to make sure we keep working hard and don’t get complacent

“We want to keep this run going, get as many wins as possible and see where that takes us.”

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Red Final Tweet from yesterday, after the game:

Today Adam Rooney  matched Darren Mackie's number of career Aberdeen goals.

In just the 236 fewer appearances

:rofl:

Rooney's stats so far:

Starts: 106

Sub apps: 22

Goals: 67 (15 penalties)

No. of games scored in: 56

Bettering a goal every other game.  Thought he looked sharper against Motherwell and the same again yesterday. Was delighted to see him get the goal yesterday, great poacher's finish and like all good strikers he was the first to react.

Red Final Tweet from yesterday, after the game:

:rofl:

Rooney's stats so far:

Starts: 106

Sub apps: 22

Goals: 67 (15 penalties)

No. of games scored in: 56

Bettering a goal every other game.  Thought he looked sharper against Motherwell and the same again yesterday. Was delighted to see him get the goal yesterday, great poacher's finish and like all good strikers he was the first to react.

Hopefully it was a confidence thing, although playing the strongest XI (excluding Taylor) must help. Well done to him anyway, more goals on Friday please!

This is where stats are being abused, by people (UEFA) who know nothing of football.

To put Rooney in the same bracket as Benzema and De Bruyne is embarrassing, as I'm sure Adam himself would admit.

He's a poacher, a pretty good one, he's very strong and he's been very good for us.

He has major weaknesses as a footballer but he's smart in that he plays to his strengths and never tries to beat a man and/or shoot from distance. He's totally reliant on getting a quality of service and/or defensive errors (aren't all poachers?) and therefore some games he will be completely invisible as opportunist "strikers" like him can't create much on their own and he's not quick of feet.

This is where stats are being abused, by people (UEFA) who know nothing of football.

To put Rooney in the same bracket as Benzema and De Bruyne is embarrassing, as I'm sure Adam himself would admit.

He's a poacher, a pretty good one, he's very strong and he's been very good for us.

He has major weaknesses as a footballer but he's smart in that he plays to his strengths and never tries to beat a man and/or shoot from distance. He's totally reliant on getting a quality of service and/or defensive errors (aren't all poachers?) and therefore some games he will be completely invisible as opportunist "strikers" like him can't create much on their own and he's not quick of feet.

Excelleny summary of Rooney's strenghts and weaknesses

Have a festive Simmie Mr Rocket :thumbsup:

Worth his weight in gold.  Every club in the SPL bar the tims would give their left nut to have Rooney.

Absolutely.  He does have his limitations. Hence him being with us, but fuck, I'd rather that than not have him. If he scores 10 more this season does he not match one of king joey's records - consistently scoring 20+ goals a season?

• 1 year later...