Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dhims - Dons - Sat - 12:30PM

A match, a month ago I wouldn't have been concerned about at all, but since then have every reason to be concerned about which team turn up.  On our day, we've shown we can beat Celtic, no bother, but that team only started to appear for 20 mins during the Motherwell game.  We really need the team to turn up for the full 90, McInnes to play our best side and bring on the right substitutions in this one.  We've got a packed out allocation as is usual for this fixture and the team know they'll have their backing.  If none of the above happened, I fear the worst.  It will be down to Ward to keep the score respectable.

In / Out: Out

Pre matcher: Sorting out my Halloween costume

Match: Flat watching the game on TV

Post matcher: Flat, hopefully seeing the convicts getting humiliated and their egos smashed.

Prediction: Dhims 2 - Dons 2, Shinnie

Ward

Logan / Quinn / Considine / Shinnie

McGinn / Jack / Flood / Hayes

McLean

Rooney

Not particularly happy about putting Flood in but Pawlett and McLean don't appear to be able to play together.  I'd also much prefer Shinnie at Left back because I do not rate Considine there.  Recent games showed he had defaulted back to his bomb scare self and playing suicidal back passes and cross field passes (yes i'm aware of what he did last season).  At least if Quinn is playing he might be able to mop up some of Floods inevitable mistakes. 

I think i'd also like to see Smith get a run out from the bench in this one. 

COYR, let's get right into these pricks.

Is Taylor injured? Always a threat at corners, so I'd have him in if available as I thought Quinn made a couple of errors against County and Motherwell when he came on. Think Reynolds did enough to keep his place. Whilst Flood is okay in this type of game, I think Shinnie was outstanding there in the home fixture, so I'd go Shinnie. I'd hook McLean for his poor performance against Well, even though he was playing deeper than should be allowed, and keep Pawlett in as I thought his movement was excellent despite his poor finishing.

---------------Ward-------------------

Logan---Taylor----Reynolds----Consi

---------Jack-----Shinnie-------------

--Hayes-------Pawlett-------McGinn--

-------Roooooooooooooney----------

I'd stick with that for a good 60 minutes, nae switching McGinn and Hayes back and forth, they're both significantly better when they hit the byline, and we're far more dangerous as a result.

Considine was a total bomb scare at left back when we played them at Pittodrie.

True, but Jack-Shinnie together can win the midfield battle.I worry Shinnie is sometimes wasted at LB.

We need to have a go at their defence. And someone nailing Griffiths early (and I mean nailing him, not letting him run into the box before gently shoving him over).

How many tickets we sold for this? I know it's a sell out, but what was our allocation?

Shinnie is not wasted at left back.

Agree.

We should never undervalue or overvalue any position or function on the field.

Although I contradict this by my insistence on the importance of the goalkeeper.

In an 11 man team sport, every single one including the subs and the squad is crucial.

We don't have a deep enough squad to win the league but we should be strengthening other positions in order to get truly competitive, not weakening a team that has a rare brilliant fit with Shinnie at LB. If everyone was as good in their designated roles as Shinnie, we could be serious.

I think Flood has to start , he can work alongside Jack the players need to be disciplined in terms of their role , then play mcginn and hayes wide with mclean behind Rooney. Taylor, Reynolds, Shinnie, Logan at the back.

I wonder what Reynolds has done to merit his place? He was rightly POTY 2 seasons ago but wasn't nearly as convincing last year. Just fit from a long injury, walks straight back into the team and has been even less effective than last year. I would stick with Quinn and the guys who got us to the top of the league, even Considine alongside Taylor for now and let Reynolds prove himself in training cos he ain't doing it on the pitch.

Wouldn't argue with starting Flood, just because it's this game and even though I think he's a squad player at best these days. We can't afford to fly at them and need some breakers in the middle of the park to find the rhythm of the game.

Given the unknown origin of unrest in the camp since Tynecastle, I fear the worst however.

Not averse to dropping reynolds for quinn, I seem to remember Reynolds playing lb a few times and he wasnt bad. Using the tombola would this be such  a bad line up?

GK WARD

RB LOGAN

LB REYNOLDS

CB TAYLOR

CB QUINN

DM  FLOOD

CM SHINNIE

CM JACK

RW MCGINN

LW HAYES

CF ROONEY

A 4-1-2-3

Yes, it would be truly awful. Reynolds at Lb? Christ on a stick no. Flood playing but no maclean?  C'mon, that's just silly.

Regardless of what I think though it's likely DM  will revert to the euro formation with Logan at rwb, Hayes at Lwb, shinnie, Jack, MacLean and Mcginn in the middle with goodwillie up top. Fuck knows which cb's he will pick though, I've never known an Aberdeen manager harder to predict. Personally I would go Taylor, Reynolds and Considine as Quinn looks far to static to play against Grifiths on current form.

The team I would go with though is

Ward

Logan

Taylor

Considine

Shinnie

Jack

MacLean

Mcginn

Goodwillie

Hayes

Rooney

It's well balanced, experienced and everyone is playing in their natural position bar goodwillie and even then its not by much. Oh and before anyone suits maclean is an attacking mid his first two years at st Mirren he played cm. It was only when they had no options in the front line that he was moved further forward.

Yes, it would be truly awful. Reynolds at Lb? Christ on a stick no. Flood playing but no maclean?  C'mon, that's just silly.

Regardless of what I think though it's likely DM  will revert to the euro formation with Logan at rwb, Hayes at Lwb, shinnie, Jack, MacLean and Mcginn in the middle with goodwillie up top. Fuck knows which cb's he will pick though, I've never known an Aberdeen manager harder to predict. Personally I would go Taylor, Reynolds and Considine as Quinn looks far to static to play against Grifiths on current form.

The team I would go with though is

Ward

Logan

Taylor

Considine

Shinnie

Jack

MacLean

Mcginn

Goodwillie

Hayes

Rooney

It's well balanced, experienced and everyone is playing in their natural position bar goodwillie and even then its not by much. Oh and before anyone suits maclean is an attacking mid his first two years at st Mirren he played cm. It was only when they had no options in the front line that he was moved further forward.

Fair enough team, but a bit slow in midfield, especially having both rooney and Goodwillie, but does allow for something different to come off the bench. I really do want to see Smith coming on again, he was growing into the team before he seemed to stop playing. Not long to go now!  I hope it's not over by half time  :(