Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scouting Network

I know the running joke is that Calderwood scrapped the scouting network at Pittodrie to take it all on between the 2 Jimmys and Sandy Clark. Is this actually true?

Reason I ask is that over the last few seasons there have been a number of lower league players in Scotland snapped up by other teams but never by AFC.

Rankin and Cowie- ICT

Grainger/Buaben/Gomis/Swanson/Conway- United

Frazer Wright/Willie Gibson/ Koudou- Killie

Templeman- Hearts

A lot of these players could have been brought in cheaply and could have either improved the side or been good squad players. Surely the club could inverst some of the cash they have been making back into a few scouts??

It is unfortunately true. Although don't forget Scott Calderwood is also one of our scouts.... ::)

Willie Miller spent a lot of time setting up contacts/scouts in Eastern Europe and I'm led to believe that Calderwood just isn't interested in dealing with them. I mean, heaven forbid we actually get someone that hasn't graced Dundee Utd's bench or currently playing first division football with DAFC.  ;)

Althought I tend to agree that we should have a scouting network in place, I'd be happy enough if it was targetted at bringing in young players.

Whether you think JC and co. can spot a player or not.  You can't say that our previous scouts did that great a job.

Didn't have to be the previous scouts though.

Also wouldn't hurt JC to actually listen to people outwith his immediate circle from time to time.

Jim Bett is in the process of selling up and moving to Iceland (yes, the country), so whatever he's doing over here he won't be doing it for much longer.

His house in Aberdeen just recently came off the market, and him and his wife are going to be taking over his father in law's business over there.  He had been doing some media work for the english FA covering scottish games - don't think he's doing the scouting stuff anymore though.

Legend.

Rankin and Cowie- ICT

Templeman- Hearts

If we had a scouting system coming up with dross like that there would be plenty of people complaining. I honestly don't think any of them would be much use at Pittodrie.

I know the running joke is that Calderwood scrapped the scouting network at Pittodrie to take it all on between the 2 Jimmys and Sandy Clark. Is this actually true?

Reason I ask is that over the last few seasons there have been a number of lower league players in Scotland snapped up by other teams but never by AFC.

Rankin and Cowie- ICT

Templeman- Hearts

A lot of these players could have been brought in cheaply and could have either improved the side or been good squad players. Surely the club could inverst some of the cash they have been making back into a few scouts??

It is 100% true