Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Anderson

I see Anderson has finally returned to training!  Would be good to see him play for what would probably be his last time in a proper capacity.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/weird-world-2.1438/dons-skipper-russell-hoping-to-feature-in-run-in-1.861852

width=400 height=240http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.861851.1428567345!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620/image.jpg[/img]

ABERDEEN have been boosted by the news skipper Russell Anderson has returned to training.

Veteran defender Anderson has been sidelined since August after having knee surgery.

He’s now hoping to do his bit in the club’s remaining seven games.

Anderson said: “It was great to be back in training at last.

“Hopefully I can enjoy some good sessions and then play a part in helping the team over the run-in to the end of the season.”

Midfielder Ryan Jack missed their 1-0 victory over Inverness Caley Thistle because of a foot injury but should be fit for Sunday’s game at Kilmarnock.

Good news. Our defensive frailties have cost us this season and it's clear that Taylor and Reynolds have both missed him. Reynolds especially. Also they'll know that there's a little bit more competition for positions now so this news can only be good.

He's my biggest Dons hero.

He's only a year older than me which does make me pretty sad but fuck it, the boy has been a standout for us for years. Gutted he had such a disrupted season as last year he finally got his reward for his loyalty and ability with his League Cup medal.

The experience of both him and Robson will be near impossible to replace.

I think that last point is incredibly valid. Just having guys like this around the squad is a huge benefit to the younger players, both on and off the pitch.

They're both excellent professionals who have done so much in their careers. Personally, I'd keep Robson around if he's willing.

Are there similarly experienced players available this summer who might offer the same backup and nous that Robson and Ando have in the last two seasons?

Even if we could source them, I canna see any with the Aberdeen/shire connection that Ando and Robson have that adds value to their experience and likely makes them more affordable.

Super Kev maybe? If we can't retain Logan, he'd be a worthwhile alternative.

Even if we could source them, I canna see any with the Aberdeen/shire connection that Ando and Robson have that adds value to their experience and likely makes them more affordable.

Super Kev maybe? If we can't retain Logan, he'd be a worthwhile alternative.

Having seen a bit of super kev last season it looked like his legs had completely gone. Still grey though :D

That said, as you say his experience would be good to have , possibly even get a player out of Robertson? (Runs and puts a tin hat on)

A CB who's best days are behind him you might get away with. A full back? Nope.

I'm hopeful we get another season out of Russell. He wants to play on next season so fingers crossed he can stay injurey free and help the team

I'm not convinced re Robson. Fantastic player and pro in his day but despite his good performance on Wednesday he's still a liability because of his habit of getting caught on the ball (which he also did at least once on Wednesday) and too many of his passes go astray. Although DM has my full trust so will leave the matter to him.  :thumbsup:

From a sentimentality point of view, I would love to see Cadger leading the team out again, however sentiment has no place when results are important, therefore maybe see him in on of the last couple of games of the season  :thumbsup:

If I am bring honest we have probably seen more of him since he rejoined than most of us could have hoped for given his issues of the preceding seasons.

If Russell wants another season then we should grant it. Players of his quality and character have been so hard to come by at Pittodrie for the last 20 years.  If he's with us and fit, he'll contribute. He is by far and away our best defender, still - his reading of the game is a joy to witness. 

It makes me laugh when you see a ball drop in the six yard box when Russell is playing as he launches himself at it as he knows his keeper will not be coming for it... you can only imagine Russell's face as he re-signed for the Dons a couple of years ago upon walking into the changing room and seeing Langfield was still at the club.  Should have doubled RA's wages there and then...

If we hadn't spunked our cash on another year for Goodwillie, I'd have suggested Scott McDonald could provided some vital leadership and experience. Not sure how many others will agree mind, he's nae a likeable chap as an opponent, but he was still a standout in the game against us recently.

I really hope we can have Russell lead the team out and grace Pittodrie for one last match, be a shame if he retired without seeing him in the red jersey again one last time.

I feel really auld when I think about how much stick this guy used to get all those years ago when stuck at right back, nae many folk rated him and I am sure I was probably one of them.

If we hadn't spunked our cash on another year for Goodwillie, I'd have suggested Scott McDonald could provided some vital leadership and experience. Not sure how many others will agree mind, he's nae a likeable chap as an opponent, but he was still a standout in the game against us recently.

I was very surprised no-one else went after him when he was released by Milwall (I think it was). Fair enough it hadn't clicked for him down south, but up here he could still do a job, and he's only 31. It's hardly old.

I still think Goodwille will benefit from another year at one club, rather than chopping an changing like he has done in recent years. Next year will hopefully see the best of him.

I'd keep Anderson on next season, perhaps on a pay-as-you-play deal if he's happy with that. Or maybe in some kind of coaching role (although I think he wants to leave football once he hangs up his boots). He knows himself he can't demand top dollar, so having him for another season to keep the young guys heads screwed on would help. Similar to Robson in that respect.

nah its time for Anderson go  there was signs in couple games last year that life was catching up with him.    deserves great send aff  and  the Saints  game looks like being it.  last game season lets  the  fill ground and say goodbye to another dons legend. . 

• 3 weeks later...